U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-04-2009, 06:14 PM
 
686 posts, read 1,597,605 times
Reputation: 156

Advertisements

Just read march job losses and it seems there's no end in sight, what will april bring us?, my guess is probably just as bad as march.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2009, 07:16 PM
 
Location: West, Southwest, East & Northeast
3,446 posts, read 6,914,141 times
Reputation: 869
An equally bad problem is that unemployment benefits are running out for a large number of people. You think it's bad now, just wait! Of course Obama's stimulus package will make everyone feel really good! Not to worry...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2009, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,067 posts, read 78,583,867 times
Reputation: 27667
The MSM is starting to say we've hit bottom. I think it's only because the speculators have driven the stock market up. I don't see that all our problems are solved. Heck I don't even see that all our problems have even been identified yet !
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2009, 08:07 PM
 
686 posts, read 1,597,605 times
Reputation: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
An equally bad problem is that unemployment benefits are running out for a large number of people. You think it's bad now, just wait! Of course Obama's stimulus package will make everyone feel really good! Not to worry...


The last part you were being sarcastic right, seriosly obama"s plans are going to bankrupt this country.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2009, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,862 posts, read 15,757,652 times
Reputation: 3588
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The MSM is starting to say we've hit bottom. I think it's only because the speculators have driven the stock market up.
Yeah, and I suppose that the many other recent metrics that show that the pace of decline has slowed are just nonesense. Employment recovery will always and has always lagged broader economic recovery and growth. We could see another couple of months above 600K lost jobs, but by June I think you'll see that pace start to abate.

There is an overwhelming consensus that we'll return to positive GDP within a year, with the optimists saying this summer and the pessimists saying early 2010. The stock market predicts economic and business conditions 6 to 9 months ahead, so it's right on target.

Who are these "speculators?" What about the short sellers who speculated and drove the S&P down to near 650. Why do so many people on this board take such a skeptical and cynical view of everything?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2009, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Orlando, Florida
43,856 posts, read 47,281,894 times
Reputation: 58682
I could say so much here.....but all of it is so politically incorrect....until I can't.
I think this is the syndrome all of government and America is suffering from.
We just can't say what the problem is.
But only SO MANY PEOPLE can bob for the same apples........until eventually there isn't enough space for all the heads.

Last edited by GloryB; 04-04-2009 at 10:18 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2009, 10:24 PM
 
605 posts, read 871,921 times
Reputation: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The MSM is starting to say we've hit bottom. I think it's only because the speculators have driven the stock market up. I don't see that all our problems are solved. Heck I don't even see that all our problems have even been identified yet !
While the economy is still in shambles, "speculators" have not driven up the stock market - concrete, positive economic news has fueled the recent runs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2009, 10:28 PM
 
3,852 posts, read 12,212,812 times
Reputation: 2522
another half million at least.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2009, 10:40 PM
 
686 posts, read 1,597,605 times
Reputation: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Yeah, and I suppose that the many other recent metrics that show that the pace of decline has slowed are just nonesense. Employment recovery will always and has always lagged broader economic recovery and growth. We could see another couple of months above 600K lost jobs, but by June I think you'll see that pace start to abate.

There is an overwhelming consensus that we'll return to positive GDP within a year, with the optimists saying this summer and the pessimists saying early 2010. The stock market predicts economic and business conditions 6 to 9 months ahead, so it's right on target.

Who are these "speculators?" What about the short sellers who speculated and drove the S&P down to near 650. Why do so many people on this board take such a skeptical and cynical view of everything?
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplecow1 View Post
While the economy is still in shambles, "speculators" have not driven up the stock market - concrete, positive economic news has fueled the recent runs.



I watched a video from another post on this thread that this can still just be a bull rally and no one really know's when this recession will end, and my guess with the way obama is making decisions and spending money, he will bankrupt us and put us into a depression.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2009, 10:45 PM
 
148 posts, read 372,640 times
Reputation: 37
it depends on detroit
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:55 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top