U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 07:50 AM

26,863 posts, read 41,948,878 times

Advertisements

Outback lost millions, but executives still getting bonuses

Outback Steakhouse's parent company lost more than $700 million last year but it still handed out $2.7 million in performance bonuses to its five senior executives.

click on the link to read more...they announced more bonusses are on the way for the future.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 08:00 AM

13,970 posts, read 20,186,466 times
Now wait a second. This isn't a company that is taking taxpayer bailouts that I know of. So if they want to give their executives bonuses - that's between the board of directors, the stockholders, and the employees. If I was a stockholder or employee I would be pissed, but lets not compare this to an AGI or FannyMae bonus issue.

I haven't looked at the link, but the parent company losing money doesn't mean the seperate "Outback" division lost money. If that division made the parent company money, they may very well deserve their bonus.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:25 AM

4,711 posts, read 11,475,648 times
Outback doesn't do anything for me, but my wife likes it so we go occasionally. We went the other Thursday night at about 6:00 pm....a one hour wait....went to another one nearby, same thing.

How could they be losing money like that? Unless it's true that the Washington DC area is, as is often said, "recession-proof"....

But yeah, in this case, the bonuses are nobodys' business but the stockholders.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:34 AM

13,970 posts, read 20,186,466 times
Just read the article - OSI isn't even a publically held company, meaning they don't even report to the SEC as far as government regulatory guidelines go...no stockholders, no stakeholders. I'ts a private company. What there executives make, or any financial information at all, shouldn't even be public knowledge. They can pay their executives whatever the hell they want as far as I am concerned.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:44 AM

58,990 posts, read 46,144,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Outback lost millions, but executives still getting bonuses

Outback Steakhouse's parent company lost more than $700 million last year but it still handed out $2.7 million in performance bonuses to its five senior executives.

click on the link to read more...they announced more bonusses are on the way for the future.
You didn't read the whole article did you? You know the part where most of the losses were accounting clean-ups and not operations related?

Really, the CEO got a 700k bonus? For comparison, Allen Iverson is getting paid 250,000 PER GAME this year and he has played badly and only occasionally.

I find this thread rather disturbing.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:49 AM

3,122 posts, read 7,756,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You didn't read the whole article did you? You know the part where most of the losses were accounting clean-ups and not operations related?

Really, the CEO got a 700k bonus? For comparison, Allen Iverson is getting paid 250,000 PER GAME this year and he has played badly and only occasionally.

I find this thread rather disturbing.
Good analogy. The same people that will complain about private companies handing their execs bonuses are the same people that will shell out $100 for 2 tickets to see a MLB game where their favorite player makes $25 million a year. I love baseball BTW, but don't complain about private company execs making lots of $$ when your "hero's" are guys that can hit a 97 mph faseball for millions a year.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:29 AM

26,863 posts, read 41,948,878 times
I just put the thread up so I could read some views of other people....never ever did I state that I'm against it and I'm all for free markets.

If no one get's a bonus anymore than we will loose all the best people for the jobs to foreign companies who are willing to pay for people who are smart!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics