Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:15 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,501,215 times

Advertisements

NEW YORK - Wall Street surged after Wells Fargo forecast a record $3 billion profit for the first quarter, giving investors hope for other financial company results.

The Wells Fargo news offered investors some of the best evidence to date that the credit and lending markets are improving.

Another glimmer in the darkness: Consumers continued to shop cautiously in March amid high unemployment and continued home foreclosures, but there were some signs of stabilization in retailer's sales reports on Thursday.

Wells Fargo profit helps lift Wall Street's spirit - Stocks & economy- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 08:47 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,635,187 times
Well a ton of people did re-fi's with them this past quarter. Jan the rates were at all times lows and there were also great rates in March. I'm not sure how much of that is recorded in their profits but 3 billion is a huge number!

Old 04-09-2009, 10:38 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,206,792 times
When you can get money at 0% and lend it at 5% or higher...how can you not make money?

Old 04-09-2009, 12:37 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,939,340 times
Longer term, I think Wells Fargo will emerge as one of the big winners of this crisis.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:52 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,635,187 times
Well don't forget they took 25 billion in tarp money and have to pay it all back! I do think Wells Fargo is a solid company and will come out of this crisis.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:18 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,286,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
Well don't forget they took 25 billion in tarp money and have to pay it all back! I do think Wells Fargo is a solid company and will come out of this crisis.
Not from what I've heard... from people in the industry

Wells Fargo is based in California... with probably a large portfolio of the option Arm and Alt-A Jumbo loan junk in the back burner.... hmmm good luck.

Launched Interest Only Program in 2001:
Wells Fargo Home Mortgage Launches Interest-Only Feature
Quote:
For most homeowners, paying principal and interest on a mortgage is just part of the American dream. The newest product feature from Wells Fargo Home Mortgage, however, may soon change that perception. The company recently launched its Interest-Only feature, which eliminates the need for homebuyers to pay the principal portion of their mortgage for a fixed period of time, reducing their monthly payment.
http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2...6-10435044_ITM

Stopped Sub-prime lending in Summer 2007:
WELLS FARGO TO CURB OFFERINGS IN SUBPRIME MORTGAGE SECTOR
http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...ckval=GooglePM

So, they've been in the interest only and sub-prime markets for over 7 years... I wonder how much toxic stuff they are holding including Wachovia's?

Of course the outcome could be different if we pump enough tax dollars into them... especially if they're too big to fail.

Last edited by chuck22b; 04-09-2009 at 03:35 PM..

Old 04-09-2009, 03:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,933,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
When you can get money at 0% and lend it at 5% or higher...how can you not make money?
You need to look at the TARP loans terms the interest rate is 5%. Pretty good deal when the goverment borrows the money at 3%. That is just one reason so many banks want to pay the money back. In fact with teh goveranmnt changing the terms after the loans were made has had mnay thinl twice about getting in on the Toxic asets plan. I ceertainly would want anyone to be able to just at will change the terms on any loan I made especaily one of those that were forced to take the loans.But many say that we make find out which banks need the money from the stress test.But if the FDIC leak is right the so called stress test may not amount to much .

Old 04-09-2009, 04:00 PM

24,438 posts, read 23,107,566 times
I'm not about to begin to lower my guard when it comes to banks claiming profits especially with the government promising oversight of them. Or are they? Didn't the FED or was it the Treasury refuse to disclose where that bailout money went and how it was spent? There's an awful lot of cheap and almost free money flowing around.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:02 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,501,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Longer term, I think Wells Fargo will emerge as one of the big winners of this crisis.
Agreed.

I find it strange there isn't any branch in Miami.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,570,733 times
And they also changed the accounting rules just in time for 1Q..mark-to-market turned into mark-to-whatever-you-want plus they can remove some liabilities from their income statements.

It would be interesting to compare 4Q08 with 1Q09 and see how much changed.

So where are the results of this stress test they ran on the banks before these accounting changes ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics