Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 06:36 PM

253 posts, read 1,055,926 times

Advertisements

Not sure what this has to do with pot becoming legal.

Alcohol is legal but employees are still expected to come to work sober and fit for performing duties on the job. If not, they'd be fired.

So same thing with pot. Come to work -very high- to where you cannot function on the job and you'd be fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 06:56 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Um, I think they've gotten better. Before, killing children was Ok. Now it is bad. Slavery was Ok. Now it is bad. Women used to wear long sleeves and coverings to church, (and outside for that matter). Now, they don't have to do that..or face being stoned to death based on whether they showed too much toenail or not. DO I think the world is worse? No. I think the world is the same. Do I think people are worse. No. I think we are more aware of things and are better able to come to our own conclusions. With more data comes more understanding.

Years ago, people worshipped the sun. They thought it was a god flying across the heavens in his chariot, to be followed by the moon. People killed others calling them "Witches" and "warlocks." These people who did the killing, they did not go to jail. They went about their lives knowing that they did the right thing by killing that bad witch.

Heck, even when things got tough, one of God's chosen - Saul - sought out the witch of Endor, who ripped Samuel's ghost straight out of Heaven to give Samuel advice. Saul was a man of convenient morals. Many are. Something that is moral in one place and in one time does not mean is is moral in all places and all times.

In Japan, you turn on the TV and a woman is selling shampoo. She's doing this while smiling, and being naked and briskly rubbing shampoo just about everywhere. She's naked. N A K E D. No one has a problem with this. Because it's just a person's body. In America, we hide the children's eyes and are outraged. In Germany, entire families swim naked in the pool. Together.

Here's a question. Is it moral to eat steak? I love steak. Especially a good steak. To a Hindu, I'm eating his God. To a Hindu, I'm morally corrupt. To me, I'm enjoying some really good cow meat.
Now, let him take a statue of Jesus and throw in the fire, and someone would surely have a problem with this. Just like some people have a problem with flag burning.

I see what you are saying, and I see the same things myself. Morals and values are changing. I think the availabity of technology...Video games, Ipods, TV, cable, Internet, radio...all this media and images and Rock and Roll have brought more information to kids and young adults and....is it changing them? Or are they adapting to a new reality? It's amazing. And a little scary.

My mom watches Andy Griffith. The old black and white episodes. It reminds her of a simpler time. Sometimes, I think she wants to have those old times back. I've watched it with her and enjoyed many an episode.

There are no black people on that show. Morally wrong? Or who gives a crap, that was then, this is now, and things have changed. Should there have been more diversity? Should we not watch the Andy Griffith show because it lacks diversity? OR should we enjoy the antics of Andy and Barney, Opie and Aunt Bea while subtly ignoring the lack of people of color? Al Sharpton would be outraged. Me, being 15/16ths white guy....I don't see the problem. I mean, I see it. It just doesn't affect me. But, let's go even deeper. Does it not affect me? Or do I choose not to be affected? It's a subtle difference. I see the lack of diversity. Does it cause me to think, "I should change this show." Or does it cause me to say, "Andy Griffith is freaking hilarious, Yo."

Moral standards change.

^ to this and the OP...

http://dragis.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/picard-facepalm.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-15-2009, 08:24 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
^ to this and the OP...
What a truly great response to a thread concerning pot...and the morality of using pot. It's easy to call someone stupid. It is much harder to explain a position. Better to post a facepalm picture and say, "U suk." That's like, so awesome in it's awesomeness, it's just awesome, dude.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:49 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,633,501 times
Quote:
What a truly great response to a thread concerning pot...and the morality of using pot. It's easy to call someone stupid. It is much harder to explain a position. Better to post a facepalm picture and say, "U suk." That's like, so awesome in it's awesomeness, it's just awesome, dude.
Well I can understand where he is coming from. It's like our opinion is so far from your opinion it feels like its not even worth debating. It's almost a waste of time. I'm sure you feel the same way but you are just willing to type a lot more.

I've enjoyed some of your other posts and views on other topics but I strongly disagree with your views here. So much so, that its not worth talking about anymore. Again, I'm sure you feel that same way about me, so its cool.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:52 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
No worries, man. If we were all the same, the world would be a very boring place indeed. +1 to you for being so mellow. If you drank beer, I'd buy you one. If not, I'd buy you a hamburger.

As for debates, I love a good debate. I like learning new things, and unless we can throw things at a sounding board of those who think differently than us, I don't think we'd grow very much at all. Even Jesus sat with the sinners.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:29 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
If it becomes legal, will they be able to fire someone for smoking it?

I'm sure they can say, not while working, not so sure they could fire someone.

WaPo: Cal. Medical Pot Laws Are Moving Pot Into Mainstream (http://digg.com/d1oUQe - broken link)
They can fire people for showing up dumb. They don't have to attribute it to anything.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:43 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
I never said god hated Pot. What I said is we keep going further and further downhill. If you think there isn't anything wrong with smoking pot thats fine, even though I happen to disagree with you. I feel like our country/ the world is slowly losing its morals, values, etc. Just like I have read in the bible.

Whats next? In time Cocaine will be legal. The reason? If someone wants to ruin their life then why should the government stop them? It would be cheaper to legalize it because then we could tax it and stop paying billions a year in fighting it? Why stop there.. lets just legalize all drugs to SAVE money. It's not our place to tell someone how to live their life!

While we are at it why not allow nudity and cursing on all tv channels. Don't like it? Then buy dvd's or go to the movies. Nobody is putting a gun to your head forcing you to watch it.

Lets allow polygamist to marry. Whats wrong with it? If 6 people are in love then why not allow all of them to marry? If we allow men to marry each other then we should allow 6 polygamist to marry. They were born that way.. why should you care?

Lets not stop there... I'm sure everyone can add in some more crazy ideas.
Why not? All drugs and all 'marriage' between consenting adults should be legal. What do you care? As long as it's not effecting you, it's none of your business. HOWEVER...the minute one of my tax dollars goes for rehab or some other such nonsense, then no- it IS my business.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:44 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
In the Bible I read, God ordered the slaughter of entire cities. Men, women and children. I guess they deserved it. Hard to think how flinging babies off the city walls of Jericho can fall into the "deserving it" category, but I guess He had his reasons.

And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword. (Joshua 6:21)

If we did that here in Iraq, it would be considered a war crime. Back then, it was morally correct. Morals come and go...they're not cut and dry, forever. Because, if they were, if it is morally wrong now, then it was morally wrong then. It wasn't wrong then, so obviously, it's not wrong now. But! But! Killing children is wrong!

Nope. Not according to the book of Joshua. Perfectly legitimate. Just like slavery was. Of course, now...slavery is so B.C. We're all A.D, now and it's just so uncouth. Now, we just let illegal immigrants live 10 to a hut and pick apples for $4 an hour. It's not the same thing at all.
Not everyone believes in, or cares, about your bible. Just saying.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Why not? All drugs and all 'marriage' between consenting adults should be legal. What do you care? As long as it's not effecting you, it's none of your business. HOWEVER...the minute one of my tax dollars goes for rehab or some other such nonsense, then no- it IS my business.
All drugs and marriage between consenting adults regardless of the number should be legal? You are proving my point.

Sure, they would never take any of your tax dollars and give it to people who need rehab from drug abuse. Also, they would never take your tax dollars to bail out big banks, idiots who bought housing they couldn't afford, failing auto companies etc. Oh wait.....

Old 04-20-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Not everyone believes in, or cares, about your bible. Just saying.
Did you even read his whole post?

Let me try it out on you.

Not everyone cares what you have to say or believe you. (That would be a stupid thing to say to you because I understand you ware just stating your opinion)

See how that works?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics