Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 04:51 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times

Advertisements

Warren Buffett who not long ago believed in investing domestically evidently has thrown in the towel on America's manufacturing future by investing in a Chinese electric vehicle company.

Is it any wonder that Buffett, who had been an Obama advisor, has Washington leaning toward moving GM toward bankruptcy?

Ten years from now will conversations among minimum wage workers at the Chinese distribution chains like Walmart and soon to be automobile dealers reflectively focus on "remember when our parents used to have good jobs, that paid well, and made cars, trucks, airplanes, etc?"

When will Americans wake up? Once the auto industry is shut down in the US it will be gone! This will be the model to dismantle the remaining manufacturing, engineering, and technology jobs leaving us with nothing but low-paying service jobs in Chinese distribution outlets.

Marc Gunther: Warren Buffett's Chinese Electric Car Co.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 08:16 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,076 times
I'm surprised he's held back as long as he has. Successful people back the winners. Not everybody feels America is on the right track, and many that don't are voting with their wallets. That's why dollars are flowing into foreign banks, foreign real estate, foreign companies and foreign innovation. Adapt or die. Times have changed and smart people are changing with them. Detroit is not.

It's not just the auto industry. America has life cycled into a precarious place.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:29 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
So why is it that the collective Idiotocracy of Detroit refuses to build electric cars?

What is that?

Is it just a case of stupid?

Or can't-make-me sort of pride?

Brain-damage from the fumes?

An industrial-sized and industrial-grade Death Wish?

Have we ever seen any industry this stupid?

Absolutely Mind-Bogglin to behold.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:56 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
The auto industry will never shut down in the US. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and the rest will continue to make cars here and provide good jobs for Americans.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:14 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times
I think the argument is that American-based carmakers will shut down. The three you mentioned originate elsewhere.

But to the argument, I say so what? This is the same deal I have with the banks. If you're not willing to play ball to effect change, we don't need you. There are plenty of other young upstarts who I'm sure see the overall investment value (and promotional exposure) in being one of the first to come in with better, less expensive vehicles.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:52 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
I think the argument is that American-based carmakers will shut down. The three you mentioned originate elsewhere.

But to the argument, I say so what? This is the same deal I have with the banks. If you're not willing to play ball to effect change, we don't need you. There are plenty of other young upstarts who I'm sure see the overall investment value (and promotional exposure) in being one of the first to come in with better, less expensive vehicles.

+1

The usual myth you hear is that the non-US owned car makers "send the profits out of the country". Nonsense, I own Toyota shares and the dividends are sent right back to me here in the USA.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
GM is doing a fine job and has been for years sneding themselves inot bankrupsy and don't need any help.People are just looking at what GM really has only played with because they can't make enough profits uness they have a SUV wolrd with high prices. looking at the new Honda hydrid and the price they are headed to possible worse than bankrupsy but total failiure.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:03 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Warren Buffett who not long ago believed in investing domestically evidently has thrown in the towel on America's manufacturing future by investing in a Chinese electric vehicle company.

Is it any wonder that Buffett, who had been an Obama advisor, has Washington leaning toward moving GM toward bankruptcy?

Ten years from now will conversations among minimum wage workers at the Chinese distribution chains like Walmart and soon to be automobile dealers reflectively focus on "remember when our parents used to have good jobs, that paid well, and made cars, trucks, airplanes, etc?"

When will Americans wake up? Once the auto industry is shut down in the US it will be gone! This will be the model to dismantle the remaining manufacturing, engineering, and technology jobs leaving us with nothing but low-paying service jobs in Chinese distribution outlets.

Marc Gunther: Warren Buffett's Chinese Electric Car Co.

....and if they don't shut gm down soon, what's left of our auto industry will die along with our country. gm is not profitable. for years it has relied on cheap and EASY credit to drive its sales. we all know where that got us. to be fair, the high was good while it lasted but it was never sustainable. what you fail; to realise is that by the state subsidising gm/ford and chrysler, they're killing other manufacturers by pricing them out of the market!

Old 04-18-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
So why is it that the collective Idiotocracy of Detroit refuses to build electric cars?

What is that?

Is it just a case of stupid?

Or can't-make-me sort of pride?

Brain-damage from the fumes?

An industrial-sized and industrial-grade Death Wish?

Have we ever seen any industry this stupid?

Absolutely Mind-Bogglin to behold.

i used to think electrics were the way forward but now i'm a bit sceptical. i don't however think that gm's fate has been related to electric cars.

gm's biggest problem is their legacy costs. pensions and medical for ex employees (this was encouraged by govt btw).

secondly their staff are overpaid and over insured (if you compare them to the automakers with plants in the south and if you compare this to what any new owners of gm would pay).

third, they geared production to unsustainable demand. during the bubble economy everyone was buying new cars whether they could afford them or not. this means that we were building too many cars. to meet this false demand, automakers and everyone else for that matter leveraged up to cater to that demand. that false demand has gone(even though the govt is doing everythinmg it can to create further false demand) but the debts incurred to build the new plants are not!

Old 04-18-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
The auto industry will never shut down in the US. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and the rest will continue to make cars here and provide good jobs for Americans.

not if the govt continues to provide support for gm, ford etc. my brother in law looked into buying a new pacifica in december. i appreciate that it was surplus stock and a discontinued model iinm but they were going for $13999 brand spanking new!!!!!!!!! how would other automakers be able to compete if the big 3 continued to sell below cost by passing on the losses to the taxpayer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics