Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 05:32 AM
PYT

122 posts, read 290,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
It cost too much because everybody in the industry is in it to make as much money as possible. A nurse making over $100K a year? A doctor over $300K? Add the middle man, the insurance companies, and it's easy to see why most Americans are f8cked.

It's used to be that people chose to work in the health care industry because they care and want to help people. Now all I hear is how much money they can make. I have as much respect for the health care people as I do lawyers.
Physician's take home pay roughly represent 10% of the total costs of the health care system. Which is rather miniscule considering the adminstrative costs involved.

In addition, the actual average salary of physicans is about $180,000 - $200,000 dollars and nurses $40,000 - $60,000 therefore I am not completely sure where you found your statistics.

Medicare reimbursement cuts have already forced many family doctors to give up practice and with a massive physician shortage (124,000 doctors by 2025) I am not sure cutting wages of those who represent only 10% of health care expenditures would be wise from a policy stand point.

From a personal stand point, Yes, Physicians make more than any other profession (on average) and aren't we all jealous? However if you were on the operating table, wouldn't you want the very best? Would you really want to your accountant to make more money than your surgeon? I sure wouldn't.

Medical school is one of the most competitive, arguous, expensive graduate programs out there and if you are hardworking, smart and resilient enough to make it into and out of medical school/residency, trust me, there will be thousands of better ways to make money outside of medicine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 05:40 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
From a personal stand point, Yes, Physicians make more than any other profession (on average) and aren't we all jealous? However if you were on the operating table, wouldn't you want the very best? Would you really want to your accountant to make more money than your surgeon? I sure wouldn't.

Medical school is one of the most competitive, arguous, expensive graduate programs out there and if you are hardworking, smart and resilient enough to make it into and out of medical school/residency, trust me, there will be thousands of better ways to make money outside of medicine.

I sure as hell could have made more money going into law or business.

My bro and his fiancee are making around $150k plus bonuses first year out of law school and are on the partner tracks. Vs a doc with many more years of training, much more debt, and way more personal responsibility? Get your priorities straight.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:17 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
It cost too much because everybody in the industry is in it to make as much money as possible. A nurse making over $100K a year? A doctor over $300K? Add the middle man, the insurance companies, and it's easy to see why most Americans are f8cked.

It's used to be that people chose to work in the health care industry because they care and want to help people. Now all I hear is how much money they can make. I have as much respect for the health care people as I do lawyers.
So you are saying a health care worker, Doctor, Nurse, should make the same as a street sweeper ? The next time you or a family member need a life saving treatment that the Doctor has ordered tell the Nurse giving it to you that she/he and the Doctor make to much...

Old 04-28-2009, 03:49 PM

281 posts, read 1,008,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Whenever possible, I try and get a pre-treatment estimate. And at the looks of these prices I will be getting lots more of those. The thing is I hate to try and decide if what they are asking me to get it necessary or just another diagnostic test that costs $$$ and is a total waste of time.
My husband and I both went in for fillings recently. We were given a "pre-treatment estimate" and were told I would pay $48 and he would pay $120, and insurance would cover the rest. Two weeks later, we both get bills in the mail - I owed another $90 and him another $70.

What the heck is the point of a pre-treatment estimate if they're just going to bill you anyway? I felt kind of cheated.

I do not think that doctors and nurses are paid too much. They have too much responsibility on their shoulders to be paid less. I think that insurance companies need to work for the people they serve, instead of working for the people who have agendas.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:57 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
It's a regional thing...

The SF Bay Area was advertising starting RN positions at 100k

Some cash pay patients negotiate ahead of time for elective surgery... seldom any surprises.

The problem people run into is when there is a third party payer... such as an insurance company... it just isn't possible to know in advance what your insurance will cover and often several appeals are necessary.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:25 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It's a regional thing...

Some cash pay patients negotiate ahead of time for elective surgery... seldom any surprises.

The problem people run into is when there is a third party payer... such as an insurance company... it just isn't possible to know in advance what your insurance will cover and often several appeals are necessary.
You just hit the nail on the head.... You win the prize...LOL

I also know a nurse that makes $50.00 an hour in California but she would probably only make around 30 to 35 an hour here.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:38 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,283,820 times
Quote:
It's a regional thing...

Hmm... this runs up to the question of: "what are we paying the insurers for?" if it really doesn't cost less to use insurance, vs. paying for things ourselves?

If the doctor fees, and hospital fees are about 20% of the costs.... then just pay the hospital/doctor with cash/credit... and be done with it.

Why pay monthly premiums? Seems like a total scam to me if it costs less to just pay directly. Those uber high deductible health plans? Basically your paying for everything yourself anyways while still paying them monthly premiums for nothing.

-chuck22b

Old 04-28-2009, 09:19 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,939,818 times
We do not have health insurance. Recently, I had to see a doctor. I went to an urgent care facility. It was that or the emergency room... none of the other urgent care centers were open past noon that Saturday.

They would not give me an estimate. I was charged $135 for the office visit... time with the nurse... 3 mintues, 1 minute with the doctor.

He wanted me to have a follow up the following week. I asked how much (at the admin desk). They wouldn't know, but told me the doc wouldn't be doing the follow up... a nurse would. I didn't take the follow up. Luckily, I'm fine.

I don't give a mechanic carte blanche either. If it were one of my kids, I'd go to the ER and work it out later, but I was pretty pissed at the doc and his staff's attitudes.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:31 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
Hmm... this runs up to the question of: "what are we paying the insurers for?" if it really doesn't cost less to use insurance, vs. paying for things ourselves?

If the doctor fees, and hospital fees are about 20% of the costs.... then just pay the hospital/doctor with cash/credit... and be done with it.

Why pay monthly premiums? Seems like a total scam to me if it costs less to just pay directly. Those uber high deductible health plans? Basically your paying for everything yourself anyways while still paying them monthly premiums for nothing.

-chuck22b
Originally, I guess... the point of insurance was to take care of catastrophic losses... pay something "Affordable" each month for peace of mind should a disaster strike.

Surgery Centers for elective surgeries do have an edge over hospitals... first, they don't handle emergencies... second, payment arrangements are made ahead of time... and third, you have to be "healthy" to have surgery.

The thing to remember is insurance companies don't make money when they pay out lots of claims... and then they have all that "overhead" to take care of...

Cost of Health Care was less before insurance... Now, each Doctor has at least one "biller" and a practice may have several and their only functions is to get payment... often bills have to be submitted multiple times and then the amount paid is often less then the amount due...

Old 04-29-2009, 01:46 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,283,820 times
Quote:
Originally, I guess... the point of insurance was to take care of catastrophic losses... pay something "Affordable" each month for peace of mind should a disaster strike.

Surgery Centers for elective surgeries do have an edge over hospitals... first, they don't handle emergencies... second, payment arrangements are made ahead of time... and third, you have to be "healthy" to have surgery.

The thing to remember is insurance companies don't make money when they pay out lots of claims... and then they have all that "overhead" to take care of...

Cost of Health Care was less before insurance... Now, each Doctor has at least one "biller" and a practice may have several and their only functions is to get payment... often bills have to be submitted multiple times and then the amount paid is often less then the amount due...
The thing I find interesting about "insurance" per say as an industry... is that when "disaster" actually strikes (the event we're actually insuring for), they don't pay it out or offer coverage.

The Katrina victims can't claim coverage... the multitude of people who find out they have a terminal illness or something actually drastic don't get coverage or are denied coverage.

Basically, insurers like your premiums and would like you to keep on paying them for nothing. If something comes up that is actually drastic, they will find a reason why not to cover you.

So, what really? Are insurers covering? Nada. It's pretty much a scam from what I can tell.

If costs of healthcare was lower before insurers... then what's really so bad about socialized or single payer healthcare?

-chuck22b
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics