Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 06:00 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times

Advertisements

I am psyched- my "office" at home is now my sanctuary- Invested alot-all new MS equip and high tech for writing. That is my ideal. What is everyone elses ideal for career or aspiration?

sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 06:11 PM

942 posts, read 2,583,058 times
Default I like dreaming.....

Helena...good minds think alike. I would like to have a private home office. I have always wanted to write a novel. I would also like an area to put my knitting, scrapbooking and sewing machine in that is NOT the corner of a room.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:15 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
And its nice to close the door and keep everyone out-lol. At work (read my other post) I have to manage a department-and the 19 yr olds (and lack of dress code there ) are killing me!!!

lol.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:48 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
I am psyched- my "office" at home is now my sanctuary- Invested alot-all new MS equip and high tech for writing. That is my ideal. What is everyone elses ideal for career or aspiration?

sunny
I was just joking recently that I could have one room to live in (office) with a hotplate, fridge and stereo. When I'm home I spend almost all of my time in my home office. I'm trying to work from home full time and so far it's been less stressful but I do miss interacting with people. I listen to great music all day and work at my own pace, it's great!

Old 04-05-2007, 08:55 AM

942 posts, read 2,583,058 times
I would love to be able to work from home. But can't find anything suitable that would pay decently not luxurious just an income.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:02 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,795,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie Dust View Post
I would love to be able to work from home. But can't find anything suitable that would pay decently not luxurious just an income.
I hear ya there!!
I would love to do data entry or something like that from home.. just can't find a "real" company to work for.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:09 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Ill making a computer room in my sunroom at the front of my house but i also plan on making a private office in the storm shelter under the house too. I need total quiet from people when doing web pages etc.
As for the software, sourceforge.net provides pretty much everything for free that M$ charges you for.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:53 AM

2,218 posts, read 5,393,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Ill making a computer room in my sunroom at the front of my house but i also plan on making a private office in the storm shelter under the house too. I need total quiet from people when doing web pages etc.
As for the software, sourceforge.net provides pretty much everything for free that M$ charges you for.
Every time you buy a PC, Uncle Bills gets a million dollars! Okay not really, but he gets a lot of money.

And I do agree that you can get a lot of good stuff from under the GPL, some of it really isn't friendly for everyone, it's all how the people that make it want to be.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:13 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Sure somebodys gotta make money from it! I dont pay for my microsoft OS's though. My bossman (who i do contract work for) is a MS tech and gets free OS for his company. So Bill hasnt made penny from me since 98

I use Suse as much as possible for my web design too because of the easy intergration of Apache.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:35 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,393,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Sure somebodys gotta make money from it! I dont pay for my microsoft OS's though. My bossman (who i do contract work for) is a MS tech and gets free OS for his company. So Bill hasnt made penny from me since 98

I use Suse as much as possible for my web design too because of the easy intergration of Apache.
That's the same with Redhat, Fedora, Mandrake, Ubuntu, Slackware, Gentoo, Debian. I use Fedora. Core 7 comes out here soon. I hate SUSE because Novell is garbage. I'd rather much have Redhat, but I'm not paying for their updates. But I might try out Gentoo or Slackware here soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics