Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 12:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

While Roubini is out there..he did see this economic fiasco coming back in 2006. The article does have some strong points though and China is in a much better position to take over.

We are limping along and there seems to be no end in sight to the deficits we keep accumulating.

China's yuan 'set to usurp US dollar' as world's reserve currency - Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 12:47 PM

975 posts, read 1,754,983 times
Roubini is a broken clock.

Yeah, right, the free world is going to tie itself to China. LOL!...Good one..LOL!

And fat chicks are going to become the new hot babes too..LOL!

Old 05-15-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
Roubini is a broken clock.

Yeah, right, the free world is going to tie itself to China. LOL!...Good one..LOL!

And fat chicks are going to become the new hot babes too..LOL!
You know they called Roubini "delusional" in 2006 for predicting the housing bust.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/17/ma...mist-t.html?em

You go ahead and dismiss him though. Thanks to him and a few other financial/economic non-MSM folks I got out before it all fell apart.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:59 PM

975 posts, read 1,754,983 times
I've known of Roubini for many years. Like all perma bears/bulls eventually they all look brilliant.

But I will take your advise and dismiss him and everyone else for the matter. I would recommend you do the same.

Btw, I predicted the housing bust in 2004 but you shouldn't listen to me either.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:15 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,284,336 times
I'd have to agree with Traderx,
The ability to control the world currency would have to be forcefully taken from American bankers. Most likely any major challenge would result in a war and bloodshed of the peons to maintain hegemony or die trying.

There's a reason why we spend so much in military expenditures in preparation of this eventual end game and why we broadcast our might so readily as a deterrent.

If I was China, I'd lean away from American debt and focus on building up internally. There's no way in hell America can repay additional debt borrowed being over 70%+ leveraged without devaluing the currency/money supply with weening domestic production.

-chuck22b

Last edited by chuck22b; 05-15-2009 at 01:25 PM..

Old 05-15-2009, 01:56 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
The last pure investment property I bought was back in 2002 or so, after which I just kept saying "I don't see how people will ever see any appreciation at these levels.", if that makes me a bear...

But seriously, the YUAN? Why? Because China is SO open, and SO honest, and SO trustworthy, and SO responsive to pressure from other countries? Come on now!

Old 05-15-2009, 02:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
While I don't know about the yuan becoming the dominate currency because of the actions of the chinese goveranment in the last decades;I do believe there is a real chance that china will lead the world out of this recession instead of the US for the first time.Theior stimulus certain looks more aimjed than ours does to pure infrastructure improvements.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:32 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
While Roubini is out there..he did see this economic fiasco coming back in 2006. The article does have some strong points though and China is in a much better position to take over.

We are limping along and there seems to be no end in sight to the deficits we keep accumulating.

China's yuan 'set to usurp US dollar' as world's reserve currency - Telegraph
Good article, but for those who are paying attention, nothing new.

BTW: it doesn't say anything about Chinese "taking over."

Old 05-15-2009, 03:05 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,698 times
I don't see the yuan becoming the world's reserve currency any time soon, but I do think that smart eyes watch China for signs of economic recovery. The U.S. is no longer the sole superpower-- perhaps not even the penultimate one-- and nobody had to take anything forcibly from us. We handed it right over... and we continue to do ourselves in. The enemies we most need to fear live right here, where all those defense dollars won't do any good at all.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:10 PM

So let's look at history..Britain used to be king of the hill and was a creditor nation.
WWII came and they became a debtor nation and fell from grace.
US then was the creditor nation and rose to the top.

Today we are a debtor nation. There is no fix in sight to turn this around.

China has already done about $100 billion worth of currency swaps with other nations.
China is a creditor nation right now and can lend to anyone in the world if they so desire.

I just wouldn't dismiss this so quickly. The US can't stay on top forever. We've shot both feet and are relying on foreign lenders or our own Fed to keep us going financially. If the US should get dropped from their AAA rating (which IMHO we shouldn't have) then that would make the other countries scramble to find a new currency.

China Takes a Small Step Away from the Dollar - TIME
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics