Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 01:37 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,777,942 times

Advertisements

Sorry, Slackers. Time to Get a Job! - There's Got To Be A Pony In Here Somewhere Blog - CNBC.com

I can't tell if it's sarcasm or not. Looks like an Onion piece, but I dunno. What's your take?

Sure, there's jobs available. Can you live on those jobs? Absolutely. Can you live well on those jobs? You have to define "Well." first. If your idea of "Well" is food stamps and section 8, well...yeah. If your idea is making enough to save something for retirement and to put down on a home, (at least where I live) then Walmart ain't gonna cut it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 02:49 PM

7,084 posts, read 12,014,054 times
Many of the jobs you can get are probably going to be living wage jobs, but just barely in most circumstances. It's certainly better then no job at all. I can understand if people aren't going nuts for the jobs due to industry...such as I know there are jobs available in my industry so I wouldn't take a job at Walmart if I thought I could get something soon.

Slackers though, and there are many variations to people's definitions of the word...but I consider it people who can work but don't (usually by parents giving them money, or trust) really need a kick in the pants anyways. Better to get it now before either the trust runs out or their parents can't support their lazy butts.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:27 PM

5,428 posts, read 6,186,843 times
No offense, but people need to stop making excuses and start working. Just because you might not be able to land a $75,000 job with lifetime benefits after one day of job searching is no excuse not to start working at whatever you can get. I'm sick to death of hearing people who think that they're above doing any old work. HELLO?? Have you seen the economy out there?? Quit whining and start helping yourself instead of waiting for someone else to take care of you. Besides, you live in the USA - if you can't find a company that will hire you, START ONE YOURSELF!!

Old 05-07-2009, 10:39 PM

298 posts, read 713,481 times
There are jobs available if you have the right training. And you know what? These were the same industries that were listed as areas with good job opportunities in the early part of the decade as well. Nursing, Engineering, and various business specialties were all listed. Why don't people research their major and research the job prospects in the area they want to live before they finish school? Some people legitimately are having a hard time right now, that's true. But some people are in the situation they're in because they didn't think about the next step when choosing a major.

Who's hiring now -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/classified/jobs/ny-jobswhoshiring0105,0,7048284.story - broken link)

How You Fit Into the Tight Job Market (http://www.jobweb.com/studentarticles.aspx?id=2121 - broken link)

Look who's hiring now: Health care, hi-tech and sales

Old 05-08-2009, 09:04 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,478,055 times
A lot of the jobs are part-time. You can see this in the BLS employment statistics that they refer to but make no real attempt to analyze. 3 million workers have gone from full-time jobs to part-time in the past year alone. They don't count among the unemployed but in the underutilization rate which is close to 16 percent.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:24 PM

7,084 posts, read 12,014,054 times
What drives me nuts there are so many people who are doing it that there are classifications being started and classified, such as NEET (especially the older ones), which started in England but has seemed to really take off in Asian countries.

"NEET is an acronym for the government classification "Not currently engaged in Employment, Education or Training". It was first used in the United Kingdom but its use has spread to other countries, including Japan, China and South Korea.

In the United Kingdom, the classification comprises people aged between 16 and 18 (some 16 year olds are still of compulsory school age). In Japan, the classification comprises people aged between 15 and 34 who are unemployed, unmarried, not enrolled in school or engaged in housework, and not seeking work or the technical training needed for work. The ‘NEET group’ is not a uniform set of individuals but consists of those who will be NEET for a short time while essentially testing out a variety of opportunities and those who have major and often multiple issues and are at long term risk of remaining disengaged."

I've seen kind of the similar actions in the US (though there is no word for it in the US), where people aren't socially isolated but are more of the classification for Freeter. Where people are financed by their parents to try and pursue their "dreams" and put off growing up for as long as possible (I include several of my friends and my downstairs neighbor in that pool).

"Freeters are a relatively new phenomenon in Japan. The word freeter was used first around 1987 during the bubble economy, referring to young people who deliberately chose not to work despite a large number of jobs available at that time. During this time, freeters were also somewhat glamorized as people pursuing their dreams and trying to live life to the fullest."

I don't want to include those who are mentally ill and in social anxiety withdrawl (why I like neat labels, even if they aren't US terms) that is used in the term of Hikikomori.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:27 PM

159 posts, read 628,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post

I've seen kind of the similar actions in the US (though there is no word for it in the US), where people aren't socially isolated but are more of the classification for Freeter. Where people are financed by their parents to try and pursue their "dreams" and put off growing up for as long as possible (I include several of my friends and my downstairs neighbor in that pool).

"Freeters are a relatively new phenomenon in Japan. The word freeter was used first around 1987 during the bubble economy, referring to young people who deliberately chose not to work despite a large number of jobs available at that time. During this time, freeters were also somewhat glamorized as people pursuing their dreams and trying to live life to the fullest."

Trustafarians?

Old 05-09-2009, 02:56 PM

12,460 posts, read 19,995,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Although, they are in school, you can find many people like this in graduate programs. It seems in the US a lot of people purpose grad degrees for the sole purpose of avoiding the "real world".

Old 05-09-2009, 07:37 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,660,008 times
What the hell is this trash?

Old 05-10-2009, 12:18 PM

392 posts, read 1,545,970 times
That article is like a message board comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics