Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 01:14 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times

Advertisements

I saw an article where California is asking for TARP funds to use as a short term loan so that they can sell their long term debt. I was thinking, "That is AWESOME." and wondering if I could do that, too. First, I'd quit my job. Then I'd max the credit cards, taking me to about 25K in debt or so. Then I'd spend all my money in the bank, and have like $1.45 left for some sammiches for the week.

Then I'd look for someone to give me a short term loan until I could find someone to buy my long term debt.

California Seeks U.S. Help With Budget Borrowing (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

The federal government should use the Troubled Asset Relief Program to buy the notes of any state that defaults, California Treasurer Bill Lockyer said in a letter to Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner yesterday that was released by his office. A guarantee would make it easier for states to purchase the bond insurance policies they need to attract investors.

“If we cannot obtain our usual short-term cash flow borrowings there could be devastating impacts on the ability of the state or other governments to provide essential services to their citizens,” Lockyer said. “Such a scenario could also cause major disruption to financial markets.”

Ya know what else might be bad? Pouring money down a big money pit, with lots of people on the sides of the pit with big shovels and picks and backhoes, making the pit ever bigger so it can suck up more delicious money. How about "We got a plan to fix this." instead of "Need lots of money and we have no clue except need more money Kplzthx more money."

California could be so great. Talk to Californians. They'll tell you how great it is. At the same time, it was great because IT WASN'T REAL. It was an ILLUSION. Now, U.S. taxpayers are being asked to prolong the illusion.
It's not much different than my own personal delusion. Now, Gimme some money. I'm on my last sammich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 08:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
New york came very close in the past. First thing to happen is massive layoffs and spending cuts.Programs go unfunded where cuts can't be agreed on.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:27 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,856,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
New york came very close in the past. First thing to happen is massive layoffs and spending cuts.Programs go unfunded where cuts can't be agreed on.
Near my own town of Garnerville in New York, the state began a building project to replace one of the Palisades Parkway bridges. Five months into construction the company doing the work stopped, packed up and left. That was two years ago. I don't ever see a return to prosperity in the foreseeable future. New York used to be home to many corporate level office positions as well as manufacturing jobs. What happened to the good old days?

Old 05-15-2009, 07:01 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times
The states realize that they should cut spending, and take action by giving unnecessary social programs the axe.

LOL, just kidding!
They'll probably just raise taxes, making themselves less competitive to other states that are hungry for work.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:14 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,633,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
The states realize that they should cut spending, and take action by giving unnecessary social programs the axe.

LOL, just kidding!
They'll probably just raise taxes, making themselves less competitive to other states that are hungry for work.
Nice post. It gave me a good chuckle.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:16 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
What happened to the good old days?
NY taxes are incredibly high and people and corporations left. I have a lot of ex-NY'ers where I live in NC.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:31 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
All the other states will get less, so that all of Californias touchy feel good policies can continue.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:35 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Nevada's on the road to insolvency one step behind California.....

Old 05-15-2009, 07:42 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,427,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
New York used to be home to many corporate level office positions as well as manufacturing jobs. What happened to the good old days?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
NY taxes are incredibly high and people and corporations left. I have a lot of ex-NY'ers where I live in NC.
Exactly! CA is doing much the same, driving taxes higher and higher for individuals and corporations. States need to realize that they can't tax themselves into prosperity.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:20 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
Exactly! CA is doing much the same, driving taxes higher and higher for individuals and corporations. States need to realize that they can't tax themselves into prosperity.

Agree, thats why businesses move out of high tax states like NY, MN, CA and move to more business friendly areas like TX or NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics