Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 06:39 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,105 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Dave Ramsey calls Peter Schiff an idiot

Enjoy and please discuss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 07:27 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,846,914 times
Good catch view!

I used to enjoy giving Dave and hour or two, or the few minutes I was in the car before I moved to an area that had radio other than right wing ranters. Dave does give good advice to people that ALL OF THE RIGHT WING TALKERS NOW REFER TO AS LOSERS. By teaching them things that many of us learned from our RESPONSIBLE parents he does help them out, so that's a good thing.

But, when Fox Business Channel (slogan; "entertaining DOZENS daily with bad financial advice") went on the air I guess he got his own TV show too. His radio show then became about 60% promos for FBC and I just put in CDs or turned the radio off.

So, if you're a loser in the financial knowledge area, or you like listening to anti Semetic "code", Dave is your man. But remember, this guy thinks Glenn ("I can't remember the lies I told last night, so here's a new batch for you") Beck is a "great guy", and "really smart".

Somehow these supposed Christians can't comment on anyone with an opinion counter to their own without resorting to insults.

golfgod

Old 03-05-2009, 09:24 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Good catch view!

I used to enjoy giving Dave and hour or two, or the few minutes I was in the car before I moved to an area that had radio other than right wing ranters. Dave does give good advice to people that ALL OF THE RIGHT WING TALKERS NOW REFER TO AS LOSERS. By teaching them things that many of us learned from our RESPONSIBLE parents he does help them out, so that's a good thing.
That is fair enough. I sort of figured the first half of his book, baby steps, advice was Golden -- yunno -- the No Debt, be prepared, etc. Wonderful stuff. Pretty much how to do Proverbs in the Years 200X.

But his investing part is garbage (imho)

He learned the first part by living it -- went broke and had to climb back out. Experience can be a wonderful teacher if one wishes to learn. All the investment rest is pretty much chiming the Financial Advice Choir and I see folks worse for following that.

But this next part . . . .

Quote:
or you like listening to anti Semetic "code", Dave is your man.
[/quote]

What in the world are you talking about?

Maybe that is code in itself?

Old 03-05-2009, 04:47 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,846,914 times
Phillip T wrote;
Quote:
But this next part . . . .

Quote:
or you like listening to anti Semetic "code", Dave is your man.
[/quote]

Maybe he doesn't repeat it in the book (which from your post I gather is where you get your dose of Dave) but on the radio (unless he's dropped it in the last year) he's constantly going on about, "the only way to financial peace is through Christ Jesus".

Maybe in your book it's not anti-Semetic, but to say that only Christians can have financial peace is pretty darn insulting to Jews. Not to mention Buddhists, Muslims, Bahais and a whole host of others who don't fit Dave's view of mainstream.

golfgod

Old 03-05-2009, 05:26 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
lol, dave is talking as if the stock market didn't collapse 5 months prior. Schiff's book was released in feb 2007. One of the integral points made in the book is that you should move into gold and foreign stocks. If you moved into gold you would probably be up around 25%. Meanwhile if you listened to Ramsey you would be down 50%.

Also everyone says schiff is a doom and gloomer however in reality when you see one ship sinking there is money to be made in other markets. That is what schiff is talking about.

He believes that US equity is going to plunge, which it already did, and foreign markets will recover better since they'll have stronger economies in the long run.

Last edited by killer2021; 03-05-2009 at 05:37 PM..

Old 03-05-2009, 05:49 PM

8 posts, read 46,347 times
DR's original premise is good and obviously he learned from his mistakes. But his blind following of the idiot blowhards who instill hate and ignorance to the masses is ridiculous. There is a guy at work, senior, high up who has an investment site. He constantly adds political and religious stuff and frankly it is bs. Just give us the financial advice not salted or peppered with your own personal religious/political views. PHEW> P.U. hehe. That is my story and I am sticking to it. The basics are good and that is it.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:52 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayalert View Post
DR's original premise is good and obviously he learned from his mistakes. But his blind following of the idiot blowhards who instill hate and ignorance to the masses is ridiculous. There is a guy at work, senior, high up who has an investment site. He constantly adds political and religious stuff and frankly it is bs. Just give us the financial advice not salted or peppered with your own personal religious/political views. PHEW> P.U. hehe. That is my story and I am sticking to it. The basics are good and that is it.
I agree. As far as getting out of debt and making common sense moves he gives good advice but as far as investing goes, he doesn't know what he is talking about.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:16 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Phillip T wrote;

Maybe he doesn't repeat it in the book (which from your post I gather is where you get your dose of Dave) but on the radio (unless he's dropped it in the last year) he's constantly going on about, "the only way to financial peace is through Christ Jesus".

Maybe in your book it's not anti-Semetic, but to say that only Christians can have financial peace is pretty darn insulting to Jews. Not to mention Buddhists, Muslims, Bahais and a whole host of others who don't fit Dave's view of mainstream.

golfgod
ok. Thanks for the answer. I get what you are saying . . . not that it makes any sense but I follow.

First, the word is (Anti) Semitic -- from the word Semite, or what we now commonly call many Arabs and Native Jews --

Wiki covers it a bit >>>

Semitic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

=============

The term Semite means a member of any of various ancient and modern people originating in southwestern Asia, including Akkadians, Canaanites, Phoenicians, Hebrews, Arabs, and Ethiopian Semites. It was proposed at first to refer to the languages related to Hebrew by Ludwig Schlözer, in Eichhorn's "Repertorium", vol. VIII (Leipzig, 1781), p. 161. Through Eichhorn the name then came into general usage (cf. his "Einleitung in das Alte Testament" (Leipzig, 1787), I, p. 45). In his "Gesch. der neuen Sprachenkunde", pt. I (Göttingen, 1807) it had already become a fixed technical term.[1]

The word "Semitic" is an adjective derived from Shem, one of the three sons of Noah in the Bible (Genesis 5.32, 6.10, 10.21), or more precisely from the Greek derivative of that name, namely Σημ (Sēm); the noun form referring to a person is Semite.

The term "anti-Semitic" (or "anti-Semite") usually refers to Jews only. It was coined in 1879 by German journalist Wilhelm Marr in a pamphlet called, "The Victory of Germandom over Jewry". Using ideas of race and nationalism, Marr argued that Jews had become the first major power in the West. He accused them of being liberals, a people without roots who had Judaized Germans beyond salvation. In 1879 Marr founded the "League for Anti-Semitism".

[much more]

=============

In light of the last 100 years of history it is a fairly serious claim.

So by application D.R is also:

Anti-Hindu
Anti-Buddhist
Anti-Muslim
Anti-Atheist
Anti-Gaian
Anti-Pagan
Anti- . . . .

Just keep the list going and I sure we can find offense enough for anyone to enjoy. Victim Status is the new First Class?

And you figure in particular it is about dis-sing Jews, when much of his stuff he credits to Proverbs?

Sorry, but that has to be some of silliest crap I have seen on here. And I am really telling you that in a friendly way, just so you can follow that it is probably way off the beam. Take or ignore it, but do not be surprised if folks dismiss it. Sad part is that is so diminishes and devalues real victim status.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:59 PM

20,707 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Hi ViewFromThePeak,

Actually the market is showing a lot of stability. It goes down 10% and then back up 10%. Its done that over 60 times so it should be dead even.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:39 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,568,295 times
Dave Ramsey has good financial advice. Beyond that, he is the one who is an idiot. Peter Schiff was ridiculed over and over the last several years and has been correct in his predictions. Also, I'm an atheist. I think it's stupid for Dave Ramsey to assume each caller to his show is a Christian or a Jew. Fifteen percent of Americans are atheists. There are prejudices even in my group - most of them think we must also be for some form of big government or agree with kooks such as Al Gore. I happen to be a capitalist. I listened to this Youtube link of Ramsey. He uses a strawman argument by bringing up Irwin Schiff as a reason to be against Peter Schiff. What an idiot that Dave Ramsey is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics