Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 08:42 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,210,109 times

Advertisements

Nah, hardly took any effort at all.

The stuff was pretty basic, just confusing due to all of the disconnected/random observations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 10:19 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,286,006 times
Much of the moral decay in our nation can be traced to the manipulation of money in the last 8 decades. During the 1950’s, 1960’s and into the 1970’s, a family of five could be supported with a father working and a mother staying at home with the children. Today, due to relentless inflation, the average family of four needs to have both parents working to maintain a similar lifestyle. Inflation adjusted median household income has been stagnant since 1970. The social pressures caused by the Federal Reserve induced inflation such as increased divorce, children raising themselves, and focus on material possessions has resulted in a society whose fabric is tearing.

While I find JimQ's personal attacks distastful, his insight into the problems with the economy are undeniable. The Federal Reserve and the World banking interests behind it are reducing our Country, which was once the envy of the world, to a wasteland with little future.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:46 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,855,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i agree that this could be changed, and the united states could once again be a productive nation:

Paying farmers to not grow food, while millions in the world starve to death every year.

that has to stop!
How are we going to be a productive nation when we outsource all of our blue collar jobs? Even Starbucks has closed stores and cut employees. The nation is falling fast towards economic depression and the recent tax revenue shows it. Lets all say goodbye to GM and Chrysler.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:43 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
People require more food then is profitable to produce, and farmers will not produce when its not profitable.

that sentence does not even make sense. if people require more food, farmers will produce it and everybody wins! that is how free markets are intended to work. it is only when government starts subsidizing big business and destroying crops that is becomes an abject failure.
It makes perfect sense.

In a free market, demand is only met when profitable to do so.

If 7,000 people demand rice at $1, and it cost $1.30 to produce, 7,000 people are going without rice. The only thing is that people NEED food, so the GOVERNMENT must keep the cost to a price point that people can afford to buy enough, and the farmers profit from that production. They do this by manipulating the market.

This is econ 101 here, not a difficult concept.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:33 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Interesting article. Left wanting by the cursing and name calling in this forum. It is amazing how fast someone who might have had something interesting to say simply loses credibility by posting a couple of obscene remarks.

You, sir, should learn some of the control you so forcefully promote in the article that you linked to in the post that started all the name calling.

I for one cannot take you seriously after seeing your childish responses to a little criticism.

Tsk, tsk indeed.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:13 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
It is amazing how fast someone who might have had something interesting to say simply loses credibility by posting a couple of obscene remarks.
I was thinking the same thing.

And what is all this business about tattoos, gold chains, and fried oreos? Surely the author simply has trouble communicating, and does not actually consider these characteristics to be relevant.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Much of the moral decay in our nation can be traced to the manipulation of money in the last 8 decades. During the 1950’s, 1960’s and into the 1970’s, a family of five could be supported with a father working and a mother staying at home with the children. Today, due to relentless inflation, the average family of four needs to have both parents working to maintain a similar lifestyle. Inflation adjusted median household income has been stagnant since 1970. The social pressures caused by the Federal Reserve induced inflation such as increased divorce, children raising themselves, and focus on material possessions has resulted in a society whose fabric is tearing.

While I find JimQ's personal attacks distastful, his insight into the problems with the economy are undeniable. The Federal Reserve and the World banking interests behind it are reducing our Country, which was once the envy of the world, to a wasteland with little future.

But those in the 50's.609's and 70's didn't give that high on the hog as they say. They certainly didn't spend 140% of income. I don't see blaming anyone but ourselfs when we compete for goods that we can't afford. No one made anyone buy anyhting they didn't want to. besides upto the 50's people actually had to work to have a roof over their heads;put food on the table and positively to own a vehicle. Public tranport was really needed then because of this. Now all you have to do is exist to get government aid. 50% of the people, play no federal income tax. People have done it to themsleves really IMO.But then others are better off then any of their parents ever where and their kids go to college without others funding.So its not all but explains the growing income gap .A far as divorce goes you also have to rememeber that women in those days could go from milddle class to poverty by getting divorce. I really think it doutful that marriages were any happeir in those days by per centage;the connsequence of divorce were just much worse. One reason so many women never wanted to be in that positions thus the woman movement.Not just divorce but widowers suffered badly also.It was a mans world really and even if a woman got a job she could expect much no matter if she did the same job.From a mans perpective it may not be to many of their liking but it ws close to weaht it is still like in thrid world countries.Persoanlly I alwasy encourage my wife to be in a position to carry on with no problem if somethign happened to me and palnned so she could.I fact my wife and I for sevaerl years afterwe got married actually banked her income for some years. That is how we bought our first home.So I say social chnage had mnore to do with divorce rates and other things than we give credit.

Last edited by texdav; 06-02-2009 at 04:34 PM..

Old 06-04-2009, 10:08 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,286,006 times
I believe the increase in materialism that has been the driving force in the cultural changes that began in the 50's was linked in large part to television. The banks and corporations had a vested interest in promoting the propaganda of the happiness that could be gained from material goods. The banks and corporations along with government stood to greatly profit from a society preoccupied with materialism. When the majority of women joined the work force and surrendered the rearing of their children to television, daycare centers, and public schools both morality and education declined. Over the last years of the housing bubble, television constantly drummed into the people’s heads that the smart thing to do was to "put their home equity to work" and that they "deserved to live large". Since most of them have been raised and educated in large part by television, they believe what they have been told. Because the educational system has failed them, they lack the ability to do the math, or to understand the relationship between banks and the government. Since 1913, when the government defaulted on the money owed to them, the banks have for the most part, owned the government. That is when the federal reserve was forced upon the government by world banking interests. It is why we are now peasants in the country where we were once Citizens. That is why the government that is supposed to be looking after your interests, is instead robbing you, and giving your future earnings to world banking interests without your consent, and to your detriment.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
It wasn't just televison but a poltical drive by braney frank and other to make it happen. Whne prerssed by mccain to actually look inot the fiancces of fredie and freddie;the frnk siad iof tehy go bankrupt we can bial them out. They even setup income and bonus of them by teh amount fo loans they made. Boht ofd the CEOs of this governamnt setup business were fired but the promised investigation has been blocked.How they are setting up other ways to put these same epople into homes that they can again not afford. Loking at the refi of the first six months most went into forclosure again.The much second piority of the Toxic assets in the TARPO fuds has satled when it was one of the selling points tot eh public to get sup[port for teh TARP in the first palce. Treasury has contimuely promise the plan but fail to produce. The privte pardnership needed is said to be in trouble because of teh administrions chnaging the terms of the bnaking bailout ;pressure o9n those bnalks that did not want to take it and the ignoring of bankrupsy procedure in the chrysler and now the GM bakrupsy. Bacially no one trust the admiistrtion to not change the rules as they go. This has hurt the housing market that started this mess. Now we see a deal being worked out to fund governamnt healthcare to get funding by txaing middle income peole who get partial payment of their healthcare as income on their taxes whiole using the money to fund those that will pay nothing.If retiring and people working think the universal healthcare will be paid by teh rich they better think twice.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:24 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,743,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
It makes perfect sense.

In a free market, demand is only met when profitable to do so.

If 7,000 people demand rice at $1, and it cost $1.30 to produce, 7,000 people are going without rice. The only thing is that people NEED food, so the GOVERNMENT must keep the cost to a price point that people can afford to buy enough, and the farmers profit from that production. They do this by manipulating the market.

This is econ 101 here, not a difficult concept.
Now I understand why the government took over GM.

The government thinks people need cars, but since they have allowed living wage jobs to be outsourced or taken by illegal or H1B workers the people can no longer afford these needed cars. Now the government has solved this problem so the average Joe can afford a new car and the car maker can make a profit. I'm going right down to the chevy dealer and pick out a new Corvette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics