Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 07:28 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,200,764 times

Advertisements

I filled out an online form from loweryourbills.com to get information on insurance premiums. It was the usual--name, address, telephone number, age, current insurance company, email address, credit rating, driving history, etc. The final page of the form said that 8 agents had agreed to give me a quote and would contact me within 24 hours. Within 30 seconds after I had finished filling in the information, my telephone rang. No one was on the other end. Could this have been a "test telephone call" to confirm that I had, indeed, given a valid telephone number? Do company's do that? I thought it odd that I would receive one of those no-one-on-the-other-end telephone calls immediately after giving the kind of information that I gave. Makes sense but I've never heard of this practice before. Has anyone else or does anyone know if this is sometimes done before sending info on to agents for further follow-up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 11:20 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,725,137 times
I think you just put yourself on an auto dialer list via computer. It's a means of harvesting valid telephone numbers, that will then be sold to telemarketing companies so they can bombard you with annoying sales calls, usually just as youre sitting down to dinner.

Since you filled out an online form, and submitted it, their loophole is that you opted into their system to receive phone calls. Therefore even if you are on the "do not call" list, they can call you "legally" until you tell them to stop.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:16 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,843,220 times
Hahahaha... u really messed up.... now you will be plague by fraudulent companies forever... why would anyone fall for that kind of stuff... the only person who can lower your bills is... YOU... they are going to start asking for upfront money or your credit card information to do what the devil does best... spend your money... hahaha...

Old 06-03-2009, 05:57 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,786,434 times
Yeah seriously, time for a new number. It's the same thing with test emails sent out in response to craigslist postings.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:10 AM

23,585 posts, read 70,350,712 times
All of those "required" phone number "requests" get sent to an old cell phone number I had. Call away.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:27 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,200,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Hahahaha... u really messed up.... now you will be plague by fraudulent companies forever... why would anyone fall for that kind of stuff... the only person who can lower your bills is... YOU... they are going to start asking for upfront money or your credit card information to do what the devil does best... spend your money... hahaha...
Well, I'm glad you got a good laugh from my good faith query about an odd occurrence. Don't look now but your immaturity is showing. Maybe you should call yourself, "childishnewbie" instead of "evilnewbie". Then again, "evilnewbie" fits, too.

I actually did receive a call from an insurance agent close by and he actually could offer me a lower auto insurance rate than what I am now paying.

As for being plagued by "fraudulent companies" or getting incessant phone calls or being asked for upfront money or credit card information, it hasn't happened yet and isn't likely to.

Now go make fun of someone else.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:18 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,246,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Yeah seriously, time for a new number. It's the same thing with test emails sent out in response to craigslist postings.
Since telemarketers have gotten access to cell records, I only answer the phone if I know the number. If its out of state and I know noone there its definately unanswered. If only I could set the phone to only ring when it got a recognized number.

At least email has suspect mail. Earthlink has a very very good filter and it can all go away instantly.

Just so I can list my number in an ad I'm going to change my cell plan for two phones, so one with a local number will be just for that and I'll take messages. (and when I lose my phone somewhere in the house under a blanket I have to someting to call it and find its hiding place LOL)

Old 06-03-2009, 06:23 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
All of those "required" phone number "requests" get sent to an old cell phone number I had. Call away.
And some poor bastard has been given that phone number when the phone company recycled it.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:06 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,148,202 times
I think most everyone is being far too suspicious. If a phone number is going to be given/sold in order for insurance representatives to be able to call and offer a variety of reduced rates....of course the phone number had to be verified first....thus....test call.

Good luck Cunucu Beach. I bet you'll end up with a great deal from someone.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:45 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,826,582 times
I've had it happen for some internet orders. Specifically when I used a credit card, they would test my phone number before placing the order. The phone number I gave them had to match the number on the card, or something like that.

That way, if someone in Russia got my CC number...things wouldn't add up, hopefully... and the order wouldn't go through. I've had htem cancel, too....because I'm in Iraq, and my phone number here is DSN switched (they have no access) and my number at home is answering machine (and my wife lets the machine get it, almost all the time.)

I don't see why an insurance company would require this type of system, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics