U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-14-2009, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
5,517 posts, read 9,455,362 times
Reputation: 2552

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Ugh, right so as I said if you assume whatever you want you can show whatever you want. You are assuming they work 8 hours a day 365 days a year! That is rather inane.
No, Im not assuming they work 8 hours a day 365 days a year. Im assuming that they work 8 hours for every $125 they make net. If you assume they make 7 days worth of $125 a week, then it would be neccessary to work 56 hours for those profits.

You are assuming they work 5.3 hours for every $125 they make, net, which would make it possible to make $125 worth of profits for 7 days, if the hours were extended to 40 hours a week.


Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Huh? No, I' assuming they work a 40/hour work week. I have no idea why you believe they must work during the weekends, or equal hours every day.
You are assuming they produce $125 net of merchandise every single day of the week, but work only 40 hours a week, which means, you are assuming that they are working less then 8 hours per $125. This was the EXACT assumption I made originally, which you attacked. You cannot attack my position, when I clarified the assumption, and then change the assumption. That is a blatant straw man.


Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Are you serious? I mean really? Your entire rant is based on the idea that if they make $250 in gross sales one day they MUST be working 8 hours that day,
Exactly, that is the assumption I clearly made, and then you attacked based on mathematics, not principle. If you wanted to argue the assumption thats one thing, but you attacked the math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
but that is completely ridiculous! If they work a 40/hour work week (like most of the country) then they would be getting around $21.80/hour or $3,750 a month.
If you wanted to change the assumption to that they would produce and sell 7 days of $125 worth of merchandise, in the span of 40 hours, only then you would be correct.

Unfortunatley, those who are self employed work longer hours, on average, then the population at large.

Small Business Research and Policy - Key Small Business Statistics - April 2004

So making an assumption that they are producing 7 days worth of profits in 5 standard days worth of work, is probably a bad assumption.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2009, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
5,517 posts, read 9,455,362 times
Reputation: 2552
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Your entire claims are just meaningless, suggesting "demand is limited" really has no meaning. Demand is a function from zero to infinity. Please read about Macroeconomics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Demand is limited at some point, period. It has plenty of meaning. It means that at whatever "price point" something is offered, demand will STILL be limited by storage capacity, and other things I already mentioned.

So, your claim of

---everything you say ignores basic economics. You cannot talk about demand by itself, its meaningless. Its demand at some given price. Stating "there is no unfulfilled demand" is gibberish, if the soaps are currently selling for $X then there is likely to be a lot of "unfulfilled demand" at price $X - y. Even though the average price of soap may go down as more supply hits the market, the average soap maker may be making more money. ----

Is absolutely worthless. It is completely based on price, when price is not the only limit on demand. You can GIVE a product away for FREE, and demand will STILL be limited at some point, assuming production capacity, and raw materials are unlimited. This is completely independent of price. You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about if you claim demand always exists at "some given price".

If you want to instruct someone to read about economics, you should probably be the first. After that, you can grab a chair in basic business, construction of logical arguments, reading comprehension, and pre algebra. Ive already demonstrated my knowledge of these things at multiple points in my life. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2009, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Conejo Valley, CA
12,470 posts, read 18,295,071 times
Reputation: 4343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Im assuming that they work 8 hours for every $125 they make net
And that assumption makes absolutely no sense at all. To say it again, if you assume whatever you want you can show whatever you want. I can't believe you ranted for multiple paragraphs about this... You could've just said "I'm assuming they work 8 hours for every $125 they make, where as you are basing it on a 40/hour work week".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Demand is limited at some point, period. It has plenty of meaning. It means that at whatever "price point" something is offered, demand will STILL be limited by storage capacity, and other things I already mentioned.
Storage capacity, etc can all change. Everything is variable.

You sure like to talk yourself up, its pretty funny. Why don't you type some more about how great you think you are, at least its somewhat amusing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2009, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
5,517 posts, read 9,455,362 times
Reputation: 2552
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
And that assumption makes absolutely no sense at all. To say it again, if you assume whatever you want you can show whatever you want. I can't believe you ranted for multiple paragraphs about this... You could've just said "I'm assuming they work 8 hours for every $125 they make, where as you are basing it on a 40/hour work week".
The assumption makes plenty of sense. All production can be measured by hours. It takes X hours to build Y. This is a simple principle of operational management, and job cost accounting. In this case, it takes 8 hours (a standard day of work) to produce $125 of net revenue (half of the average sales you claim a day). That is the most basic and sensible assumption you could make. You, instead, assumed it takes 40 hours a week to produce $875 net revenue. This is a questionable assumption, because there is no month but February on a non leap year that can be measured on a weekly labor basis. Because you are assuming 40 hours are spaced out over the whole week, in some random fashion (you were adament about declaring that a set schedule was rediculous), it is impossible to figure out how many hours are/or arent worked on days 29-31.

Any how, I laid forth the 8 hour assumption originally, and then you attacked my math. It is not my fault your ignored it, but then again, you ignore half of what I, and others you argue with, type. You are one of the most selective readers Ive ever come across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Storage capacity, etc can all change. Everything is variable.
How can I explain this to you so youll understand without using calculus concepts.......ok, assume you had an impermiable box, it can not be punctured. Inside that box is demand. Now, supply, can fill that box to any point, within the boundaries of the box (this is the "variable" adjustments you keep blathering on about). When that box is filled, it can go no more, this is the absolute perimeter on demand. It exists for ALL products at some point. I dont care how much storage capacity is built, it will eventually fill up the universe, and demand will STILL be limited. In fact, given that you know the highest level capacity of all factors influencing demand, you could make a mathematical equation that determines the EXACT limit of demand for any good. Ill give you a hint though, the equation will never equal "infinite".


Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
You sure like to talk yourself up, its pretty funny. Why don't you type some more about how great you think you are, at least its somewhat amusing.
How great I am? Never said anything about that. That I comprehend the subject matters you parade about being some sort of authority on, much better then you? Yes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2009, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Conejo Valley, CA
12,470 posts, read 18,295,071 times
Reputation: 4343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Blah blah rant....
Good luck
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2009, 06:23 PM
Rei
 
Location: Los Angeles
494 posts, read 1,677,371 times
Reputation: 233
Quote:
If we outlaw private universities and schools, and restrict public schools to merit based acceptance, and full scholarships for all who are accepted, as well as placing federal quotas on the number of any given professionals who can be trained in a given year, we can control the supply side of labor, and therefore, bring down requirements and raise salaries in general for the workforce.
+1... Totally agreed... There are a bunch of people going to college there do not deserve to be there in the first place...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2009, 07:50 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
5,517 posts, read 9,455,362 times
Reputation: 2552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post
+1... Totally agreed... There are a bunch of people going to college there do not deserve to be there in the first place...

This is very true, a majority of colleges, outside of the Ivy League, and some of the top ones in the nation who can easily afford to be highly selective, are being run like degree mill businesses. If you have the money, and even a few operable brain cells, you are going to be able to get a degree in something from an accredited institution some where.

This is not only driving the cost of degrees up, but cheapening the value of those degrees.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top