Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 02:33 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,217,528 times

Advertisements

Called, "EQUAL TRADE". We trade with China ..we send them millions of junk and they send us billions of junk. Now if it was equal..that would be fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 04:00 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
For all the bellyaching about outsourcing, nobody seems to mind insourcing when, say, Honda builds a plant here or when Sony Pictures sets up a studio in southern Californa. Globalization cuts both ways.
in theory it does, but in practice the united states is importing more than exporting so overall it gives up more with globalization.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Countervailing tariffs would go a long way toward leveling the playing field. They could be assisted by reciprocal trade laws. The problem is the investment industry is only interested in rate of returns and is willing to destroy the society that made them rich.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 06-22-2009, 08:42 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Countervailing tariffs would go a long way toward leveling the playing field. They could be assisted by reciprocal trade laws. The problem is the investment industry is only interested in rate of returns and is willing to destroy the society that made them rich.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
I agree with you, we should put tariffs on goods coming in from China. Let them pay for the health care and unemployment benefits now being directed at those whose jobs were outsourced.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
eople might as well get use to the idea that no one is going to pay you more than tehy can get the same job done by others. You need to have a job those others can not do wither because it requires your presents or they don't have the people with teh knowledge.Its the consuer that decides in the end.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:00 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
Outsourcing needs to find a balance. If we outsourced all our jobs then eventually we will not have the population that can afford to buy the junk we're getting from countries we outsourced to.

This trend is obviously a ploy by corporate america to concentrate wealth among the boards and executives of companies, and by "trickle down", to the shareholders, who are by and large, other big banks and corporations and wealthy individuals.

What happens to the little guy? Screw him, that's what corporate America says. Take it too far and we'll see what happens.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Outsourcing needs to find a balance. If we outsourced all our jobs then eventually we will not have the population that can afford to buy the junk we're getting from countries we outsourced to.

This trend is obviously a ploy by corporate america to concentrate wealth among the boards and executives of companies, and by "trickle down", to the shareholders, who are by and large, other big banks and corporations and wealthy individuals.

What happens to the little guy? Screw him, that's what corporate America says. Take it too far and we'll see what happens.
Amen. I could not have said it better.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:35 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post
I will never cope with outsourcing. First of all, 8 percent of manufacturing is left in USA. So, if manufacturing has increased, it still has a ways to go before it reaches 100 percent. It has only been since the mid 80's that the cheap products started flooding the market place here in the USA. IMHO, I started seeing allot of outsourcing in the mid 80's when the CEO's were starting to make lavish salaries.

I think outsourcing has started to injure and cripple this country and it will be the down fall of our nation. . I will do all I can to put a stop to it. I am so sick of talking to foreigner customer service people, in a company that started here in the United States, made their fortune here, got tax incentatives or $$ from our gvt, and they turn around and hire foreigners and eliminate jobs here in the USA. Try to find products made in the USA anymore? Almost impossible. Now our food sources are being tampered with. Why do you suppose farmer markets are becoming mainstream all across America?

I seldom purchase anymore what I want, only buy what i need. Just like before all this outsoucing began. We saved up for a costly colored television or microwave. On our street, every other house people park their cars in the driveway, their garages are cluttered with Chinese junk.

I will not support American Companies who do not support the American worker.
Is everything you own American made?

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 06-22-2009, 08:39 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
The OP is right on target.

Globalization is here to stay, corporations need to adapt or go the way of the buggy whip. People need to get over their caricature minds-eye portraits of CEO's sitting in club chairs lighting cigars with 100 dollar bills. Stock holders are the real tyrants in business, CEO's operate at the mercy of the board. How many times have you seen a CEO stand up during an earnings report and say: "Well, we did not meet earnings last quarter, I doubt we'll meet expectations this quarter either, just go ahead and devalue our stock now."

Think fast. You are now the CEO of ABCD INC. Your main competitor EFGH Corp outsourced its labor off-shore 6 months ago and is now crushing you in the market. Their production costs dropped enough to decrease their prices by 20% and now market a similar product as yours for 18% cheaper. You have cut your advertising and materials costs to the bone, your analysts have estimated you can cut production costs 23% by outsourcing your labor. You are losing marketshare every day, revenue is falling at a much faster rate than expenses. The stockholders BOD wants to meet with you in 15 minutes to discuss your strategy to return the company to profitability.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
I are correct. People will not accept realities regardless of how much you explain that. People that complain do so only so much. I am very sure many of those complaining do buy a lot of the least expensive items whether they were made by American workers or not.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 06-22-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Is everything you own American made?

You have a great day.
El Amigo
All of my families clothes, electronics, kids toys, flatware ard appliances are foreign made. Just think thirty years ago we still made much of those items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics