Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 05:34 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,409,606 times

Advertisements

Usually when they start "talking" about these things it ends up happening.

General Motors, Ford and Chrysler 'could go bankrupt' warns Standard & Poor's | Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 05:37 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,552,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Usually when they start "talking" about these things it ends up happening.

General Motors, Ford and Chrysler 'could go bankrupt' warns Standard & Poor's | Mail Online
Gee, too bad.

Does this mean we could FINALLY have grid powered electric cars and roads?

There is a LOT to love in this depression.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:38 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,057,298 times
GM has already come out today and said that bankruptcey is not an option. They also got a a huge loan from the fed's this past week. They are not going bankrupt. Ford and Chrysler on the other hand, I am not too sure about

Old 10-10-2008, 05:44 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,157,964 times
Ford should do what they did back in the 20's after the model T was being out sold by GM's offerings. Close the factories, retool them and make cars people want.

I don't blame the America auto makers profiting from SUVs etc they brought in a lot of money. But gas didn't go up in a few months, they had years to start planning for future markets. They seemed to have no plan B, why not do the R&D for cars that would sell better with high gas prices as a contingency plan? If the research was done it would only take them about a year to get the cars out to the market.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:52 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,409,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Gee, too bad.

Does this mean we could FINALLY have grid powered electric cars and roads?

There is a LOT to love in this depression.
How many panels would I need to power a car? Lol. Maybe I'll get another wind generator for an electric car.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:26 PM

707 posts, read 1,293,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
GM has already come out today and said that bankruptcey is not an option. They also got a a huge loan from the fed's this past week. They are not going bankrupt. Ford and Chrysler on the other hand, I am not too sure about
GM can say whatever they want. Bankruptcy is seldom the "choice" of the firm. Sometime take a look at the balance sheet of this firm. It's already bankrupt by any reasonable measure, and no amount of additional borrowing by a company with such enormous negative cash flow will help. Borrowing/piling on additional debt to a company that already has over $200 billion in liabilities is ludicrous.

Last edited by jimmyP; 10-10-2008 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: add

Old 10-10-2008, 06:32 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,552,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
How many panels would I need to power a car? Lol. Maybe I'll get another wind generator for an electric car.
Lots and lots bigger than your household panels --

did some of this >>>

Ausra.com

this Spring.

MUCH (much, much) bigger power scale (and much cheaper) than your TN homestead units.

The whole grid power roadway advantage is no oil, and no batteries.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:33 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,157,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyP View Post
GM can say whatever they want. Bankruptcy is seldom the "choice" of the firm.
Haha, seriously. Like they are going to say "We are bankrupt guys send our stock to zero".

Old 10-10-2008, 07:04 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,352,827 times
I do think we have heard the death knell of the Big Three american auto makers. The fed govt has done a lot to prop them up over the years, but it now has bigger fish to fry with the entire financial/banking industry teetering on ruin. Life will go on if the U.S. stops manufacturing automobiles on a large scale (except for maybe in Detroit). And the Big Three going under could also lead to good ole fashioned american innovation where a new company could pop up to start making quality hybrids.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,902,805 times
I would bet that they leave detroit if they just scale down. They are how paying off employeees to retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics