Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 08:43 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,360,239 times

Advertisements

It's a digital form of socializing. So you can keep in contact with "e-friends" and stuff. It's really not that personal, but many people like to have lots of "e-friends," sometimes they become real friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 09:42 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,032,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Anyway this friend has over 400 pictures of herself on her FaceBook account. About 90% of them she took herself, by holding up her camera aimed at her face, and then pouts, smiles, grins, laughs, etc..

That is pretty sad.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:29 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,045,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I cant figure out why a website, would need 400 employees to begin with..
Probably because you never worked on a website? Myspace is massive you need a good deal of people just to keep it up and running, let alone to add new features, graphics, etc.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:02 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,686,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Probably because you never worked on a website? Myspace is massive you need a good deal of people just to keep it up and running, let alone to add new features, graphics, etc.
Well, I was a web developer during, and after college.

From a the perspective of visible code and visual design , MySpace looks like it has about 2 guys creating it in somebody's basement. It has horrible, nasty looking code, like a stack of Jenga waiting to collapse.

Perhaps those other 398 people were making sure the server farm didn't blow up, or creating animated .gifs, or answering the phones, I don't know. They sure weren't doing quality work on any aspect of the product that I could see.

Last edited by le roi; 06-18-2009 at 11:19 AM..

Old 06-18-2009, 11:55 AM

77 posts, read 237,978 times
My space is not about making up to the minute comments about what you are currently doing. Also what is wrong with a persons vocabulary that uses "Dude" and "Mybad" if they are able to convey their message to you?

Old 06-18-2009, 12:02 PM

844 posts, read 2,098,288 times
Myspace was hot in 2004. It's popularity is fading (thank goodness!).

Old 06-18-2009, 03:31 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,045,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
From a the perspective of visible code and visual design , MySpace looks like it has about 2 guys creating it in somebody's basement. It has horrible, nasty looking code, like a stack of Jenga waiting to collapse.
Visible code? The only code that is visible is the Javascript (html and css are not code). The complexity of the site does not come from the html. It comes from how robust the site has to be. Making a site of that scale is nothing like making a site running on a single server.

A site of that size having 100's of employees working on it is the norm.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:49 AM

12 posts, read 26,293 times
Facebook has taken over!

And to be honest... I don't "get" Twitter either!?

Old 06-19-2009, 09:55 AM

7,084 posts, read 12,039,076 times
Doesn't really surprise me, they have been turning into the kind of new Geocities for a bit. Most of the people I know have just given it up because you have more control in Facebook (and access control), you don't have terrible backgrounds, animated pictures, embedded music (easier to surf at work too)...etc. Now if Facebook was firing people off I would be surprised.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:06 AM

8,358 posts, read 25,205,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I find it hard to believe that this organization employed 400 people. Their product was pretty sloppy.
Yes, but how many people does City-Data employ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Since we appear to be of a specific age/interest group, remember that these sites really appeal to those who need to feel like their thought(s) actually count. This is how they get realized, - you know - the generation who needs to take pictures of every facet of their lives and then get offended if someone makes an off-color remark ... geez I don't know why everyone has to be so rude about my new my boob job .... oh, for some intelligence.

For what it's worth - my life is pretty darn okay without twittering, or having my mug slapped across Facebook.
MySpace, Facebook, and Twitter are all different, even thought they are all social networks. It has nothing to do with age since people of all ages participate on all three.

It also has nothing to do with 'being realized'. It is simply a new medium and a sign of the times.

By the way, what the heck do you think that City-Data is? It is essentially the same thing. In case you were not aware of this CD has many features that are similar with these other sites; i.e., a personal profile, personal pictures, blog, 'status updates', etc. And in general CD is used in much the same manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkme View Post
Myspace was hot in 2004. It's popularity is fading (thank goodness!).
Yeah, MySpace was the thing to do up until 2007 or so. Now it is all about Facebook and Twitter.

By the way, anybody remember Freindster?

Anyways, MySpace is owned by Rupert Murdoch, who also owns Fox. Believe it or not, MySpace is not some basement-style organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics