Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 09:28 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,687,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Well, then there would be no pizza delivery, because the consumer wouldn't pay for it to be delivered. There would probably be no pizza business if the minimum wage were $10 an hour.

I honestly don't know why people waste their time and money on ordering substandard, overpriced, unhealthy pizza. I stopped doing it about six years ago. I completely went off the frozen pizzas about a year ago. It's just as easy to buy a crust, make your own sauce and do your own pizza. Not only is the cost a mere fraction, it tastes better and is healthier (most likely less salt).

But as to your original comment, legislating that minimum wage would only guarantee more unemployment - and more inflation once the government stepped up efforts to dealing with said unemployment (i.e. printing money to pay for jobs that the market can't support).
Once minimum wage is increased, crust will cost more and the ingredients for making own sauce will also become more expensive. The person making his/her own pizza will also earn more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 09:28 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,579,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsgirl View Post
Could you explain to me though why a teenager *needs* to be earning $10+/hour when not only do they provide limited skills, but their own bills are typically limited because most are living w/ parents still? In fact, oftentimes, the people that are on minimum wage are there because they have little or no skills and *cost* a business a large amount of money to train. By a business taking on an unskilled/underskilled worker, they are taking on a HUGE risk. They risk that by putting money into that employee for things like training, that that employee will only soon leave to find better pay somewhere else because the next business doesn't have to invest as much to train them. This is just a single example of the cost of hiring the type of people that typically apply for those minimum wage jobs.

Why should someone that has little or no work experience be paid nearly the same as someone that's worked for 10 years and added to their list of skills and knowledge every year, thus making them *more* valuable as an employee?
The cost savings of a teenager living at home are offset by the need to accumulate college money

Old 01-05-2014, 12:34 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
Well, gee, we already pay a $2.00 delivery fee, then tip the pizza guy a few more bucks, which s/he more than likely doesn't declare on his/her taxes. Deliver 2-3 pizzas an hour and you'll have doubled the minimum wage.

But, hey, that claim for reimbursement of laundering his/her uniform (translate: throwing a cotton polo shirt in the wash with the rest of his/her clothes) is pretty creative. Is there a company in America that pays employees for washing the clothes they wear to work?

The driver doesn't get that $2.00; back when I delivered pizzas tips were small and uncommon. Also, at high-end pizza joints tips are high but delivery volume is low, while low-end pizza joints have high volume and low tips. I've delivered 50,000 pizzas in my lifetime and generally had a choice between delivering 50 pizzas with small/no tips (low-ennd pizzas) or 15 pizzas with high tips (high end pizzas); where the tota tips worked out about the same.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Pizza Hut should pay per mile or provide delivery vehicles. Same with cell phones. Provide a company phone or pay the driver a reasonable fee (I would say $8 per week) for the use of his cell phone for company business.

Back when I delivered pizzas, it was common to additionally pay drivers 6%-7% of delivery volume for use of the driver's car; this was often called 'mileage' or 'commission'. At high volumes - say 40-50 pizzas in a shift - drivers liked the extra money in their pocket every day, although that was supposed to cover ALL car expenses, including depreciation (i.e. at some point you'd have to fix or replace the car.

If you're working in a low-delivery environment (e.g. sit-down restaurant like Pizza Hut, where drivers spend more time doing inside work than they spend delivering pizzas) you're not getting much in either tips or mileage and end up making less than minimum wage after car expenses.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J123ana View Post
What's wrong with a teenager making 10+ an hour??? You guys are what is wrong with this country.....

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Teenagers + delivering pizzas = liability insurance issues.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Pizza Hut should pay per mile or provide delivery vehicles. Same with cell phones. Provide a company phone or pay the driver a reasonable fee (I would say $8 per week) for the use of his cell phone for company business.

Back when I started delivering pizzas, company cars were common, but a year into the job company cars disappeared pretty quickly and nearly all employers were paying drivers to use their own cars.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:22 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,579,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgetwhoiam View Post
I deliver pizzas for Pizza Hut. I think the $16 per hour is not accurate what so ever. We might get to take out 3-4 pizza orders per hour during rush hours, which is from about 12pm to 1:30pm and 5pm to 8pm. So if you are working from 2pm to 5pm there is no way you are leaving there with $16 per hour. Okay, now with the tipping situation, on average, we recieve $2.50-$3.00. The delievery charge that you pay when you order a pizza is $2.50 and the driver only recieves $1.10 of that. Also the average driver only has a 3.5 hour shift, and about 20 hours per week. So let's add this up really quick.

Delivery Driver Pay Rate: $5.25 per hour
Tips (Averaging 3 per hour @ $2.50 per delivery ): $2.50*3=$7.50
Delivery Charge Received (Averaging 3 per hour): $1.10*3=$3.30
TOTAL PER HOUR : $16.05 per hour!
TOTAL PER SHIFT (Assuming It's The Average Shift): $56.18
TOTAL PER WEEK: $321.00

Now before you start screaming at my comment saying oh I was right...now you need to take out the deductions that a driver has because of his job:

The average delievery is between 2-10 miles from the store. So we are going to round to 5 just to keep it simple.

So each hour the driver takes 3 deliveries: 3*5=15.
Average shift & milage/hour: 3.5*15=52.5

So let's take some gas into consideration now. The average car gets around 25 miles per gallon.
So assuming you get 25 mpg you are going to use 2.1 gallons of gas on an average shift.
Now, in Missouri, gas is at $3.65 per gallon. So after one night the driver will spend $7.67 in gas alone.

Time for some more math:
Pay Per Hour: $16.05
Gas Used Per Hour: $7.67
Total Pay (After Gas Expense) per hour: $8.38
Pay Per Week (After Gas Expense): $167.60
Pay Per Month (After Gas Expense): $670.40

Next, the driver HAS to have insurance on their car, yes it is a requirement in all states, but you must have insurance to deliver pizzas. Full coverage on most cars is around $75 per month. (This will vary from person to person.) But to be fair, we will put this charge at only $30 per month since you are legally suppose to have it anyway.

Monthly Pay: $670.40
Monthly insurance expense: $30.00
Monthly Pay After Insurance: $640.40

Next, you must remember that the driver is putting miles on their car every single day. So, you have to put aside the cost for oil changes, new tires, and other repairs needed to keep the car running. So lets just say an additional $20 per month.

Monthly Pay: $640.40
Car Expense: $20
Monthly Pay (After Expense): $620.40

Okay so lets break this down again:

So the average driver will make $620.40 a month before takes are taken out.
So if you remember the average driver works 20 hours per week and we are assuming there are 4 weeks in a month.

20*4=80 hours per month

So lets figure out exactly what drivers make per hour.

Monthly Pay: $620.40
Hours Worked Per Month: 80
Pay/Hours: 620.40/80= $7.75 per hour.

So the average driver makes $7.75 per hour. Delivery drivers are making what is required by law.

*Now of course, this is based on averages.*
*Note:Amount of deliveries is based on business. If business is bad, the drivers will not make this much per hour.
**Note: This is based on my wages at Pizza Hut!
Vehicle replacement = 10-20 cents/mile. You left it out...

Old 02-15-2014, 05:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I used to work for Pizza Hut, drove a few pizzas every now and then. Driving a couple hundred miles a day you're looking at $100+ in wear and tear, gas, oil, etc. according to the Government. That would essentially erase the tips you receive. Most people tip $1-$2.
I deliver Chinese Food. I totally agreed with you. Delivery is not an easy job. Especially, when you deliver at night and bad weather condition is very dangerous. This is not the same job as a waiter/waitress. Car wear and tear, car break down and it is costly to fix/replace it. you sometime lucky enough to get at least $1 - $2 in tip. I sometimes get nothing to about 80 cents with a distance of 8 plus miles round trip. The bottom line, I think all of the fast food driver/delivery should get the MINIMUM WAGE + TIP not TIPPED EMPLOYEE WAGE!

Old 10-18-2014, 05:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,137 times
papa johns corporate in Louisville ky doesn't even pay us 5.00 an hour when out on deliveries...then people have problems with credit card orders and we get stuck at their door doing customer service,loosing hourly pay of 7.25 when instore...then u call the store to fix the issue....then they don't have the slip to add a tip if they wanted...plus if I use my cell phone minutes are not free for me..and they don't pay for our cell phones.. just like when I get to a locked hallway at an apartment building and I have to use my phone again to contact customer to come out...and that again takes up some of my time too..and cell minutes...just like stuck in traffic and not getting min wage...burning 3.25 gal gas...and every 30min your gone u loose 1.50 in pay...and even if u get a double and both tip 2dollars =4. u will loose 1.50 if gone for 30min.....and your car will burn at least a half gallon barely moving in 30 min of stop and go...and u only get 1.10 per delivery....kill your brakes,and tires,more oil changes..and pay for insurance too.... and the dang cell phone!

Old 10-18-2014, 05:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,137 times
who wants to run a car into ground for min wage anyway,and all the other issues and payments u have to make just to deliver, your car breaks u wont have money to fix that. and someone can hit you and total your car..either way u wont have a job unless you can borrow a car...most people that don't deliver wont want their vehicle put in a delivery situation...and not borrow u a car anyways......we need a drivers union! there should have been one way before they came in and cut our pay! I showed up one day to find out my paycheck went from 230 a week(I closed all the time) to like 100. with no notice! I lost almost my rent...and they said if u don't like it ...kick rocks...theres the door!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics