Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 02:18 AM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,375 times

Advertisements

mpsgirl,

I used the HHS poverty line here:

2009 Federal Poverty Guidelines

The average household size in the US is 3 so I used $18,310 and divided by 2000 total hours of work in a year (50 weeks * 40 hours) to get $9.15 an hour. I think one person on a minimum wage job should be able to support the average household in the US or smaller without the need of federal assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 06:23 AM

24,409 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I wonder if they could institute a "No tip, no delivery" policy and get away with it. If somebody stiffs the driver, they get on a no delivery list. I always tip the delivery driver well, although I'll usually just go and pick it up myself. I did deliver pizzas for a short time and hated the job. Only a few people never tipped but the money never seemed to be that great.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:41 AM

157 posts, read 655,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I wonder if they could institute a "No tip, no delivery" policy and get away with it. If somebody stiffs the driver, they get on a no delivery list. I always tip the delivery driver well, although I'll usually just go and pick it up myself. I did deliver pizzas for a short time and hated the job. Only a few people never tipped but the money never seemed to be that great.
How is it a "TIP" then? You'd be better off calling it a delivery fee. TIPS mean something VERY specific...everyone seems to have forgotten this.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:00 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
Is there a company in America that pays employees for washing the clothes they wear to work?

Cintas does a pretty good business charging companies to wash their employees clothes. The last two businesses I worked for paid to clean their employees uniforms.

By the way, if youve ever worked in fast food, you cant just "toss in the polo", it will make everything in the load smell like restaurant kitchen for weeks.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:45 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsgirl View Post
I don't even understand *why* these debates about minimum wage come up many times. Statistically, the majority of people on minimum wage are often teenagers, 1st time employees, or people that have not worked in a number of years and are just reentering the work world. Minimum wage jobs are NOT intended to be permanent jobs and the majority of people eventually either earn a pay raise or leave for jobs that pay more for their experience. My first job was $5.15/hour. Now, years later and several jobs later also, I can walk into just about any job for $10/hour, and I'm still working on finishing my degree. People pay me more because the jobs I do require someone with more experience (and I'm far more INexperienced than many people out there).

And really, with all due respect, how hard is it to deliver a pizza? Please explain to me *what* skill the pizza company is paying their delivery employees for? If it's the ability to drive, well, that skill is widely available (thus no need for competitive salary). And please tell me why a 16 or 17 yr old needs to be paid something like $10/hr? It's unnecessary.

And people seem to forget..the higher the minimum wage they demand, the higher our cost of living is going to be, because a business isn't just going to eat the loss of paying an employee more. Those people are digging their own grave here.

You accept a minimum wage job in order to gain experience. If you don't like earning minimum wage, you then search for another job that will offer you more after you've advanced in your current position. If you're valuable enough to a company they'll offer you a pay raise. If not, find a company that does value your new experience more. It's called working your way up. People aren't allowed to just start out at the top. Sorry libs...not everyone is born "equal."
You don't and have not lived in California which is why you think the way you do.

Out in Colorado, $10/hour lets you live like a king.
In California, and yes, I've done the math, $10/hour lets you live in a crummy apartment in a shady part of town with absolutely no luxuries whatsoever.

You can't apply your blanket statement to every area. Out here, minimum wage is way too low, period.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:02 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
You don't and have not lived in California which is why you think the way you do.

Out in Colorado, $10/hour lets you live like a king.
In California, and yes, I've done the math, $10/hour lets you live in a crummy apartment in a shady part of town with absolutely no luxuries whatsoever.

You can't apply your blanket statement to every area. Out here, minimum wage is way too low, period.
But why should the Government dictate what the wage is? Shouldn't it be the market? If employers aren't paying enough people will move to places they can survive (such as Colorado according to you).

Old 07-31-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
But why should the Government dictate what the wage is? Shouldn't it be the market? If employers aren't paying enough people will move to places they can survive (such as Colorado according to you).
You know better than that.

Employers don't pay the same salary in every state. I might make $100k in California, where the same job goes for $60k in Colorado. Now mind you, $60k is more than enough to live in Colorado, but my point is that employers don't always have the employees' best interests at heart, thus why outsourcing even became an issue as well as discrimination for older employees and firing skilled employees just to hire regular people at a fraction of the real pay (Circuit City).

The government should always have a minimum wage, and I agree that $10 should be it. As for Pizza Hut or whoever, if my employer can manage to pay me a fair wage, travel reimbursement, and mileage, Pizza Hut needs to stop being stingy. I don't want to hear some crud about them not making a lot of money - of course they do. If they didn't they wouldn't be a nationwide franchise operation.

To your argument that teenagers don't need $10/hour, I know there are a lot of people who seem to think that every teenager should keep milking off their parents, but there are some, myself included 12-13 years ago, who would rather be independent and make good money. As I told my math teacher then and I tell you now, there is more than one path to success. Not everyone can follow the college-fast food-doctor path. Some have to make their own path, their own way, and good money to start with helps.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:14 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
I don't want to hear some crud about them not making a lot of money - of course they do. If they didn't they wouldn't be a nationwide franchise operation.
Ah yes.

Quote:
One of Pizza Hut's largest franchise companies, which owns several eastern Kentucky restaurants, is filing for bankruptcy.

The Courier Journal is reporting Midland Food Services filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection late Wednesday. Midland has five restaurants in eastern Kentucky and one in South Williamson, West Virginia.

Minimum wage increases, the rising cost of ingredients and unfavorable lease terms were sited as reasons why the company filed papers for the second time.

Pizza Hut Franchise Company Files for Bankruptcy (http://www.wkyt.com/wymtnews/headlines/26474484.html - broken link)

Old 07-31-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Ah yes.
Step 1: That's ONE franchise. Out of thousands.

Step 2: They claim those are the reasons. It's heresay. For all we know it could have been (A) subpar offerings, (B) too-high prices, (C) lack of customers, (D) lack of good employees (likely due to poor salary), (E) location, (F) inflation, (G) taxation, or (H) any combination of the aforementioned. It's just easier for them to blame it on something that they should have been offering anyway.

You have to understand...these are the same people that were and are willing to hire illegals for $3/hour under the table. Of course they don't want to pay a fair wage to someone American made and skilled. Why should they when they could just underpay someone who is willing to do what they consider a menial job?

Old 07-31-2009, 11:40 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,375 times
Quote:
I swear most of the people who say this also complain about outsourcing and how "foreigners" are stealing all of their jobs...the fact of the matter is there are literally billions of people who would line up to come to America to make a fraction of what low skill labor or the minimum wage pays in the United States. There is the "free market" for you. (I am not saying you personally complain about this, just most people who make this argument.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics