Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:28 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,237,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Legalizing pot won't increase the rates of use significantly. Those who aren't doing it now probably won't do it if legal.

There was a cop who posted as to the effects of pot on driving. Those who drive while high rarely get into accidents. It isn't like alcohol where it impairs your motor skills.
If you believe that you must be puffing right now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 02:54 PM

698 posts, read 1,509,312 times
People that support prohibition are clueless. It never works. Better that we make a buck off it then spend millions ruining peoples lives over it. I mean in the end it's a plant for christs sake. I mean is it worth all the time and effort to send someone to prison because they used or sold a plant that gives people some enjoyment. It's not like eating mcdonalds, smoking a cigerrette, drinking beer, and sitting your fat arse in front of a tv is any better. Maybe we should ban unhealthy foods and tv cause it has lead to the obesity of so many Americans being fat and having health problems. There will always be drug users regardless of legality. And anyway I thought this was "free" country.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:58 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,632,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
People that support prohibition are clueless. It never works. Better that we make a buck off it then spend millions ruining peoples lives over it. I mean in the end it's a plant for christs sake. I mean is it worth all the time and effort to send someone to prison because they used or sold a plant that gives people some enjoyment. It's not like eating mcdonalds, smoking a cigerrette, drinking beer, and sitting your fat arse in front of a tv is any better. Maybe we should ban unhealthy foods and tv cause it has lead to the obesity of so many Americans being fat and having health problems. There will always be drug users regardless of legality. And anyway I thought this was "free" country.
Well why would you stop at weed? Why not cocaine and heroin and anything else people want to do?

Old 07-20-2009, 04:00 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,082,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
P And anyway I thought this was "free" country.
Yeah, its rather funny that people think this is the "land of the free" when the federal and state government have a variety of laws telling you what you can do in the privacy of your own home.

You are free to do something so long as the majority thinks you should be free to do it.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:13 PM

5,476 posts, read 6,298,764 times
Quote:
Its sad that a state has to legalize a drug just to get it own self out of trouble.
The REALLY sad thing is that the revenue probably won't be used to actually fix the budget anyway. They'll just see it as more money to spend.

Quote:
People that support prohibition are clueless. It never works.
Let's use your rational to also legalize murder, rape, robbery, and racism, because no matter how hard we try to eradicate them, those crimes will never go away anyway, right? People who oppose those are all clueless too, right?? Think of all the money we could save by eliminating all the law enforcement and prison space dedicated to those crimes, right??

I have no problem with marijuana for medical use and subscribed by doctors like other medicines. But I do feel that people in this country are stupid enough without yet another way to dull their senses and kill brain cells, and in this economy, most people these days can't afford to have another vice.

Quote:
You are free to do something so long as the majority thinks you should be free to do it.
And who are you to quote the majority? Just because the majority of YOUR little circle of friends may think this way in no way means that the majority of the country agrees with you. Put to a national referendum, I'm willing to bet you'd be very suprised and disappointed at the outcome.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:52 PM

68 posts, read 111,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Let's use your rational to also legalize murder, rape, robbery, and racism, because no matter how hard we try to eradicate them, those crimes will never go away anyway, right? People who oppose those are all clueless too, right?? Think of all the money we could save by eliminating all the law enforcement and prison space dedicated to those crimes, right??
All these things directly infringe upon the rights of others. Someone using drugs has no impact on you. At best you could say it might pose a risk through motor vehicle accidents, but previous links in this thread demonstrate the risks associated with driving while high are less than those caused by driving while drunk. Further, legal marijuana doesn't mean there will be substantially more smokers.

Quote:
I have no problem with marijuana for medical use and subscribed by doctors like other medicines. But I do feel that people in this country are stupid enough without yet another way to dull their senses and kill brain cells, and in this economy, most people these days can't afford to have another vice.
Again, who are you to say what people can or cannot choose to do? Regardless, there is no conclusive evidence suggesting that marijuana has negative long-term effects on cognitive abilities.

Quote:
And who are you to quote the majority? Just because the majority of YOUR little circle of friends may think this way in no way means that the majority of the country agrees with you. Put to a national referendum, I'm willing to bet you'd be very suprised and disappointed at the outcome.
That's his point: the majority of Americans are probably against the legalization of marijuana. But have you ever heard of the phrase "tyranny of the majority?" If the majority of the country supports an 85% tax rate on the wealthy, for example, does that make it right?

Old 07-20-2009, 05:56 PM

68 posts, read 111,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
Well why would you stop at weed? Why not cocaine and heroin and anything else people want to do?
While I personally believe all drugs should be decriminalized (note this is distinct from being legal), any reasonable person sees major differences between hard drugs like cocaine and heroin and very soft drugs like marijuana. Marijuana has far fewer health risks than the two major legal recreational drugs (tobacco and alcohol) and is less addictive than both.

My view is that any expansion in personal liberties is a positive development, and the position that marijuana should be illegal is completely indefensible.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:32 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,082,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
You're not getting the point. The majority should not get to decide what the guy down the street does in his home so long as it does not infringe on their rights. Marijuana is illegal because the majority thinks its "bad", but the majority should not be able to dictate the minority.

Unfortunately this country is not truly free, the majority consistently apply their will on others thereby restricting their freedoms. But in the case of Marijuana , younger people are largely in support of it so its just a matter of time until it becomes legal. If you did a referendum in California today on it I'd imagine it would be pretty close. Recent polls show that around 35~40% in the nation support the legalization of marijuana, but I'd imagine it would be higher in California.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:40 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,207,686 times
Legalize it, don't criticize it.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:28 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,856,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettys View Post
Again, instead of being such a sheep, you should do your own research and come to your own conclusion. A medical license does not make someone an all-knowing god. Why would you believe your doctor when you can't find any solid evidence online supporting his claim?

That's a great life choice you made. Like you, I don't smoke. That said, I don't have the arrogance to suggest that everyone should be forced to follow my own personal habits. No one would be forcing you to smoke, whether the drug is legal or not.
So we should not listen to medical doctors when concerning medical issues. So what are you smoking? You are the perfect example of ignorance fool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics