Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 02:59 PM

130 posts, read 224,391 times

Advertisements

Credit Cards will soon charge interest effective on the date of purchase for everyone!

Some may and will be abandoned and replaced by cards that don't. CC cards are a convenience to both purchaser and merchant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 03:21 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,213 times
Quote:
"I was talking to some people in the banking industry who work with the Credit Card division about the topic of CC interest and service charges. I was told that the amount of competition in the Credit Card business continues to go down. More than 80% of Credit Cards are now controlled by Chase, Citicorp and Capital One.

Anyway, they hope to eventually control enough of the market so they can start charging interest from the date of purchase for all customers including people who pay their accounts in full each month. Basically all customers who charged during the month would pay some interest unless they had a Credit Balance on their account larger than the charges.

Reduced competition in the Credit Card industry has already:

Increased interest rates, late charges, returned check charges, fees for cash advances and convenience checks, annual fees, etc. It is only a matter of time before we all pay alot of interest regardless of our payment habits."
They are stupid if they think this will work I would close all my accounts all at once.
MOST responsible people ONLY USE THE CC because it gives POINTS AND REWARDS once the rewards are less than the fees then people will DROP the CC like flies.

no way no how are smart people going to use a cc then
if they think this will work they have something coming.

they will keep their cards open and just not use them.
until they charge fees for just having them.
at that point HELL no.

but reading the post again it is old news... never going to happen if they have any intelligence at all working at the companies.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:02 PM

84 posts, read 133,755 times
Then I will buy and pay off on same day via phone
I love credit card.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:06 PM

416 posts, read 871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCharlotteNewbie View Post
many already charge interest from date of purchase if you don't pay the entire balance each month. Check your statements and balance them like a checking account. Also, note on those FREE interest accounts, if you miss a minimum payment or don't pay it all prior to promo deadline, you will pay interest from the purchase date and possibly overcharge fees and a higher interest rate. Best advice, balance your statements. At least know what you are paying for.
That's standard if you don't pay your balance off in full.

Credit cards should be purely for the benefit of rewards and delaying paying purchases that you'd intend to pay off via debit card or cash, anyway.

Hence why I use only two cards: my American Express Platinum card (due in full every month), and my Merrill Lynch Wealth Management Visa Charge card.

Both are paid automatically from my account, and the AmEx is required to be in full regardless.

I won't put anything through my cards unless I have the cash to pay it off in full at that time.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I really think whoever you talked to was pure BSer.I have even seen representative from those bank discuss the changes and its nothing as described. The changes come from consumer protection laws on shifting cost to others. Basically the main thing hit is accounts whose service cost wasn't covered because they didn't use them enough. There are also rules on raising interest rates. Changes where made over a year ago and consumer got the notices already. They are not going to commit suicide by dropping a loan scheme they make billions on. This discussion happen a year ago. Now we are getting to Dodd/Frank and changes it means especially to new mortgages and refis. OP is two years behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics