Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 04:39 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,525,650 times

Advertisements

For some, tiny houses are just the right size *| ajchomefinder.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 08:33 AM

929 posts, read 2,086,889 times
This is a good thing. Who needs a 3K sq.ft. home? The cost of heating and cooling these homes will continue to rise. Does it really make sense to heat and cool rooms of a house that you NEVER use.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:47 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,525,650 times
Oh, I agree! Honestly, if I had the money and guaranteed income, I'd buy a McMansion. But, I don't. And, neither do many of the folks who buy them! It's nice to have a bit more variety in new home stock to have the stylings and the features of the McMansion (nice appliances, bigger tubs, the "look" some of them are going for) but in a smaller, more energy efficient package.

We moved last year from a 1300 sq ft home to one with 2200 sq ft (renting, and it was surprisingly cheaper), and we just don't know what to do with all the extra space! My room is the size of a two car garage, for Christ's sake! Luckily, there's not much in the way of heating because of the temperate climate in Fall/Winter/Spring. Summer, though, we crank that AC.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:26 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,689,911 times
Our final retirment home will be around 1,000 square feet. We are small space people and when I am 90 I do not want to be breeding spiders in some ignored space of a McMansion, ha.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:08 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,998,543 times
Silly article. Costco sells vinyl sheds bigger that those things. Yes, there has been in marked decrease in sales of houses that would find in the "upper end" of move up buyers. No surprise there, as typically the INCOME of those buyers has been highly directed toward their homes. With falling consumer confidence, uncertain income, and general economic panic did you expect houses to get bigger?

The trend toward people wanting nicer homes MAY mean that some homes that are finished with more care nudge out really large poorly trimmed homes, but I would NOT hold my breath...

The tiny places that articles glorifies ARE not going to be anything other than trash when a hurricane hit. And that may be the point... If somebody "looses everything", but they only have and few thousand tied up in "everything" it is a lot easier to rebuild quick. I sorta like that aspect the guy's business plan!

Old 07-25-2009, 10:10 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,323,732 times
$50 to cool a 335 sq ft "house" is not cheap. I paid $65 to cool my 2000 sq ft house in NC (just got the bill). Plus that guy paid $70k for 336 sq ft? Wow!

I paid $170k for 2000 sq ft. The extra $100k was well worth it. We came from an 836 sq ft. apartment and 1800-2000 seems to be about right for a couple w/ a dog.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:30 PM

185 posts, read 964,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtmonger View Post
This is a good thing. Who needs a 3K sq.ft. home? The cost of heating and cooling these homes will continue to rise. Does it really make sense to heat and cool rooms of a house that you NEVER use.
I totally agree, it's such a a waste too heat/cool rooms that you are not using. When I first moved in this home I had to cool/heat the entire first floor (bedroom/night) just to cool the room I was predominately in and the same for the entire 2nd floor (office/day), and yes, that was quite silly and costly. However, with zone control systems I discovered that you can climate control specific rooms for your home efficiently and precicely. For instance, now I only cool my bedroom when I sleep while the rest of home is totally off. During the day I keep my home office primarily climate controlled to perfection while only moderately cooling/heating the rest of the home. When I have guests or I'm ready to kick back in the living room, then I'll set the 1st foor to my desired comfort level (minus the rooms I'm not using). This is accomplished with multiple central air systems (3 in my case) and multiple zone control systems. I'm home 98% of the time, this is a 4 bed room property, my living room is just under 8000 cubic feet (22 foot high ceiling) and yet I rarely have a montly utility bill break $150. Perhaps more homes will go this route in the future because zone control pays for itself after a couple years, after energy savings are realized that is.

About the tiny house idea, sure, that sounds somewhat economical and is at least a good use of resources. Can't say much is being wasted there. From looking at the pictures, $40k to $70k price range seems pricey though. They are cute, but makes me think of a doll house or a prison cell but it would suffice as a second home and would be really cool to have for like your beach house, or river front property (the foundation is on an elevated platform after all).

Last edited by simcity; 07-25-2009 at 03:48 PM..

Old 07-25-2009, 04:21 PM

26,130 posts, read 48,760,949 times
Smaller homes are selling now as it's the first time buyers who are mostly in the market, i.e., many smallish starter homes are in their price range. Anyone who could afford a larger home went ahead and got one in the orgy of building in 2002-2006.

In ten years the first time buyers in today's starter homes will move up to larger homes, as other generations did.

Unknown in all this is growth; how much, how little, etc. Lots of babies and/or immigration will up the growth rates, filling more homes. If we don't grow, a lot fewer new homes will (probably) be built and people will play musical chairs as aging boomers seek fewer sq ft and the younger folks move up for more sq ft for the kids. Issue then becomes amenities and quality of life, quite possibly a lot upscale re-habbing of older homes.

We are in 3800 sq ft with all the trimmings, in 10-12 years when we enter our seventies, we'll downsize the sq ft but NOT the niceties, only the excess rooms/space. I'll still want a big kitchen and master BR plus an office and a 2-3 car garage, but we'll scratch the extra BR's and family room, etc. Can't see me in less than 2000 sq feet. I grew up in an 800 sq ft post-WW2 starter home, hated being cramped and won't be cramped ever again if I can avoid it.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-25-2009, 04:32 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,540,710 times
Iam not so sure this isn't wishful thinking mostly.Try to sell less than a three bedrom ;two bath home with a single garage and even too small bedrooms. Then have a small kitchen with small counter space and few cabinets and not much closet space.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:20 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,730,311 times
Costs me @ $200.00 per month to heat and cool a 3600sqft house @ 76* in NC. My sunroom is bigger than the garden shed he is paying $50 to cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics