U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 07:26 PM

11 posts, read 13,839 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! Question... I am getting into a sales consultant position where I am going to use my internet/web/marketing skills to promote and sell a line of items for the owner in apparel. There are various factors, so I will try to list as much here as possible so you can advise me properly...

$15 - Per Item Cost (in hand delivered, to owner)
$10 - Desired Profit per invidual item sold for owner
$80-$120 - Per Item Average Retail Value of Competition

Item is to be marketed as limited edition products, private label... with average total available quantity as 1000 on average.
Item has sold for over $100 in reselling retail store in the past.
Item label is not well known anywhere yet.

My job:

1. Redesign the web site for e-commerce
2. Internet marketing, top to bottom

Questions:

1. Now per item, owner wants me to stay within $35-$60 retail per item for sale... depending on the market, I will have to make a judgement call on this due to economy, season, etc... it can sell for more, but it is risky. He does not have funds to pay me up front, so this will be the best way if we are to move forward. Any input on this would be appreciated.
2. For bulk sales to stores, resellers, etc., he has proposed selling for minimum of $25/item, and within the $10 profit, I will get a 20% commission, so $2 per item. My thought is, if this is a sale through me or the internet, it is low since I am the sole culprit for the traffic to the sale... (well har dto prove but if he has not done any sales online like that ever...).. please let me know if that is still fair, or what is fair in this market.

I am in no way a marketing/sales expert, so any other thoughts would be much appreciated, thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics