Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 07:00 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
New homes sales up 11%.

But, but, but, we got all these problems, everyones broke, how'd that happen????

LOL! Life goes on kids.

# of new homes for sale at 11 year low.

Two questions.
Do you know how big a hole was created from this last run up?
Do you think that hole has been filled?

If it has not been filled, then I don't think you can say they have taken one to the groin.

That's like me saying, "There is no ice cream" to 100 people, and then "I've found 11 scoops."

Do you think the other 89 people are saying, "Gee, that's awesome." Or do you think they are wondering when there will be enough ice cream for everyone.

I don't mind being upbeat if there is something to be upbeat about.

Housing purchases are down 21 percent from this time last year. And last year, sucked.

OOH!! GROIN KICK>

New-home sales in U.S. climbed 11 percent in June
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 08:01 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Is housing cheap enough for us to buy without the government subsidizing it?
Is $1000 cheap enough?

Detroit, MI, Real Estate Listings and Detroit Homes for Sale - REALTOR.com®

Quote:
Are wages low enough for us to stop off-shoring the majority of our manufacturing jobs?
The wages in dollar terms is irrelevant, its how the dollar trades against other currencies that matter. Low-skill manufacturing left the country decades ago though, its not coming back. There is not even enough workers to do it, it would just be automated.

Quote:
Do we have enough work to support the 10% of our population which lives on food stamps?
Has there every been a country/economy where poverty has not existed? Nope.

The questions you are asking have the same sort of answers they've hard since this country was founded.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:21 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Lol, everything is better now Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Hyperbole. Typical of the posters here. You ignore ANY factual good news and latch on to any negative news, no matter how speculative or how opinionated. Can you not at least acknowledge that this is yet one more sign that things are turning around and improving? We're not all better and life isn't a barrel of monkeys yet, but all the doom and gloom predictions from some of you are just insane and way off base.

If you want to see who is burying their head in the sand, some of you just need to look in the mirror. By acknowledging progress and improvement, you're not saying all is completely fine or things are 100% normal again. That seems to be the mantra....you can't admit any improvement because then it implies that everything is fixed. How childish.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:57 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Hyperbole. Typical of the posters here. You ignore ANY factual good news and latch on to any negative news, no matter how speculative or how opinionated. Can you not at least acknowledge that this is yet one more sign that things are turning around and improving? We're not all better and life isn't a barrel of monkeys yet, but all the doom and gloom predictions from some of you are just insane and way off base.

If you want to see who is burying their head in the sand, some of you just need to look in the mirror. By acknowledging progress and improvement, you're not saying all is completely fine or things are 100% normal again. That seems to be the mantra....you can't admit any improvement because then it implies that everything is fixed. How childish.
Likely to lots of little bumps up and bounces down ahead, as there were in the past.

For a practical model for a Deflationary Depression (here and now) look to the last major one.

1930 Stock Chart Analysis

Look at the numbers and substitute:

2008 = 1929
2009 = 1930
2010 = 1931
2011 = 1932
2012 = 1933

The pattern fits fairly closely.

Not just stocks, but across the board.

By 2033, we should be just fine.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:11 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
10% people on UIB (unemployment) when that runs out the party is over.
the economy has contracted they will not get another good paying job.
those jobs are gone.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:28 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Home sales don't mean much to me until the $8k tax credit expires. Then we'll see what the true numbers look like.
That and cash for clunkers. I have several friends who are getting new cars because they get the rebait. Otherwise they would have just kept driving the old one. I will be suprised very much if sales of either new homes or cars continue to soar after the government goodies are gone.

My bil is in construction and if it wasn't for apartments he might not have a job. The houses they are building are done literally one house at a time. You buy it they build it. I suspect the new home sales are from the ones they built and then the bottom dropped. I'd be interested in the price of the sales too. If you can get a new home the developer or bank is dumping before it starts to rot why not? I'm sure they are being sold at competitive prices to forclosures.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:30 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,954,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
Okay, now back to that day job. Lunch break is over.
Not really, lunch is over at 1pm, 15 min later after I made my post

Old 07-28-2009, 05:32 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

Real estate markets are seasonal. Sales go up this time of year. I don't think that a month-to-month fluctuation in new home sales implies a turnaround or improvement in the economy.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:35 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
get the rebait.

Re-bait. As in "to bait the trap, again."

Bait and Traps. We have been having a mouse problem since our cat went on vacatiion.

Makes me think of some like the Used Car Sled Shops -- Easy Cheese Auto, the Walking Mouse's Friend.

Stepping back a few years towards Gary Larson and The Far Side . . . .

I am picturing a 2010 Cheesy Motors New Ride Mouse Trap, with a Fat Cat in a Business Suit saying. "Come on down, we have the Re-Baits ready!" And all the American Mice (us) looking in the show room window.

May have been a typo, but that is worthy.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:53 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Home prices up for first time in 3 years

Home price index of 20 cities in 1st monthly rise since 2006 - Jul. 28, 2009

Apologies for posting something positive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics