Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2009, 08:59 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times

Advertisements

Brave Stranger....I didn't even see your typo until you pointed it out. I'm just sayin that you can believe whatever you choose to believe, regardless of what anyone writes in their post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 11:13 AM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Brave Stranger....I didn't even see your typo until you pointed it out. I'm just sayin that you can believe whatever you choose to believe, regardless of what anyone writes in their post.
Thanks No hard feelings. We all are guilty of sometimes reading things the wrong way. Lol, I know I am.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:01 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,088 times
I have very little faith in this so called economic recovery. There is very little real growth being made by companies posting profits. The only reason profits are being made at all is because 6.5 million workers are no longer on their former employers payroll, combined with the medical coverage which was also cut do to unemployed workers. More unemployed person’s means less buying power for the U.S. worker. Seems the only way Wall Street's profits can be maintained is to continue to fire their work force. What we are seeing is a economy constantly contracting.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:14 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
I have very little faith in this so called economic recovery. There is very little real growth being made by companies posting profits. The only reason profits are being made at all is because 6.5 million workers are no longer on their former employers payroll, combined with the medical coverage which was also cut do to unemployed workers. More unemployed person’s means less buying power for the U.S. worker. Seems the only way Wall Street's profits can be maintained is to continue to fire their work force. What we are seeing is a economy constantly contracting.
The recovery will happen because they always do. The real question is not if but when and what form the recovery will take. The recovery from the recession at the end of the 1980s was based on a real increase in worker productivity plus the introduction of new technologies mainly in the form of the internet and related business opportunities.

I just wish I was smart enough to see what will drive this recovery and invest in the businesses which will lead it.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The recovery will happen because they always do. The real question is not if but when and what form the recovery will take. The recovery from the recession at the end of the 1980s was based on a real increase in worker productivity plus the introduction of new technologies mainly in the form of the internet and related business opportunities.

I just wish I was smart enough to see what will drive this recovery and invest in the businesses which will lead it.

There are many factors which are present now which did not exist in the 1970's. No two economic crises are the same. What has not changed is the government foresight in predicting economic problems.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
There are many factors which are present now which did not exist in the 1970's. No two economic crises are the same. What has not changed is the government foresight in predicting economic problems.
That is correct. But there is no such thing as a perpetual downturn. The economy will recover. The when and how are the key unknowns.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
That is correct. But there is no such thing as a perpetual downturn. The economy will recover. The when and how are the key unknowns.
The question is what kind of recovery. Will there be a permanent 10%-12% unemployment level?

Old 08-02-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
The question is what kind of recovery. Will there be a permanent 10%-12% unemployment level?
Possible but unlikely. Generally, there is enough innovation so that new businesses develop as part of the recovery. That has certainly been the case in all other recessions.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
I've been looking back farther then the 70's recessions. I took a look at 1929-1932 and we seem to be floating along that trend. 1929 was "a" crash but it took a few years of dragging and bouncing, up to 1934 before the depression was fully realized.

So if you look back then 2007 is when the wheels started falling off this train and we've been dragging since..up and then down and then up. Now the up's are being compared to last month or last year (and last year was nothing to write home about) and saying things are "less worse".

It is interesting to read about right before, during and right after the Crash.

Wall Street Crash of 1929 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some interesting snippets which apply today:
"The crash of 1929 caused 'fear mixed with a vertiginous disorientation', but 'shock was quickly cauterized with denial, both official and mass-delusional'."

The main question is: Did the "'29 Crash spark The Depression?",or did it merely coincide with the bursting of a credit-inspired economic bubble?

"Most academic experts agree on one aspect of the crash: It wiped out billions of dollars of wealth in one day, and this immediately depressed consumer buying."

But instead what plunged the country into a deep depression, was the collapse of the banking system during three waves of panics over the 1930-33 period.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

"Most academic experts agree on one aspect of the crash: It wiped out billions of dollars of wealth in one day, and this immediately depressed consumer buying."

But instead what plunged the country into a deep depression, was the collapse of the banking system during three waves of panics over the 1930-33 period.
Also, government reaction in the Great Depression was very different. Rather than pump liquidity into the economy, they took it out and hiked interest rates as well. In the UK they compounded this error by going back onto the gold standard.

I would not overstate consumer spending. It is only really after WW2 that most people began to have disposable income.

While government have a lot of blame for allowing the credit bubble to get completely out of hand, their reaction to the near-failure of the banking system was probably right. There will, of course, be more bank failures, but the system is not going to fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics