Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2009, 08:14 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,082,702 times

Advertisements

If anyone has filed a claim & there insurance company is on the best or worse list do you agree with your insurance company ranking ? The at fault ins company that is handling the claim due to my auto accident is in the top 10 worse. Im a lil concerned. http://www.badfaithinsurance.org/indexdetaillist.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 08:27 AM

1,193 posts, read 4,000,809 times
Mine isn't top 10 in the bad list but it is close. Last wreck I had was rather pleasant from the insurance side of things.

I don't know my insurance companies...so does every company on that list do auto insurance or is it just a mix?

Old 07-30-2009, 08:34 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,642,292 times
Seems like a highly biased "ax grinders" type site. I think I would prefer something from someone who might at least attempt a little objectivity...

Old 07-30-2009, 09:58 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,576,147 times
That list is VERY accurate.

We had Hartford for Business Insurance. They are usually at or near the top of the list for Bad Faith -- and they have earned it.

They were General Liability for us, as well as Commercial Auto and Worker's Comp.

We had one claim, a guy fell off a trailer on a job site. Very legit claim. I picked him up and put him in my truck and took him to the hospital. Called in to Hartford and started the claim.

Then their crap started. First Hartford said they did not think our guy worked for us. Sent them Certified Payroll (Fed Gov. job). Then they said they did not think they he was really our employee. Then that they did not think he was actually injured. On and On and On. I came back with if he were not our employee, nor working for us, our site General Liability (also Hartford) should cover the claim, and they sent back a letter that as our employee, working for us on the site General Liability would not cover it. Hartford even tried to encourage our worker to sue the Federal Government, as it was Federal site.

To resolve all this, our worker had to sue us (with our supporting testimony), and Hartford continued to fight it (lying all the way into court). At one point an "adjuster" was looking at notes claiming that we had told Hartford that our worker did not really work for us. The judge got annoyed and pulled the notes out of the adjuster's hands and read it and said, "It says here these guys told you he was their employee." Lying in court -- Hartford's adjuster should have been getting jail time. So the judge awarded in our worker's favor, and we fired Hartford and the agent.

Started looking in to the whole matter. Hartford and other Bad Faith Insurers' "game" is to attempt to deny Good Faith claims -- while still collecting premiums. The ratio is that for every 20 they deny, only 1 gets chased down and while they have to pay a little more on that claim, it is more than covered by the 19 folks they have cheated. They have LONG lists of violations against them in many states, use unlicensed "adjusters," pay side money to keep from having their general licenses pulled and pay kickback bonus money for agents to place unwitting "dumbass" customers (like us) with them.

Take that Bad Faith List very serious if you are in Business and only buy on the Good Faith side of the list.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:55 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,642,292 times
Philip T:

Again, I do not doubt that you had a bad experience, but I fail to see how your experience with one firm could lead to the conclusion "the list is accurate".

Not saying some insurers are not better than others, just that I see nothing that suggests the site in the OP's link is any way unbiased.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:53 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,077,699 times
I think that looks more like a politicallly correct insurnce group by a speacial interest group.If you look at claims in hurricanes it would tell a different story on claims and lookig at the total cost it would effect this list in a major way. I take that list more like a JD Power recommendation on vehicle buying.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:02 AM

304 posts, read 906,491 times
mine is #2 on the do not buy list (State Farm) and they went above and beyond during our most difficult time. i've been with them 25+ years and have no intention of leaving them. They have our auto, and home.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:35 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,576,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Philip T:

Again, I do not doubt that you had a bad experience, but I fail to see how your experience with one firm could lead to the conclusion "the list is accurate".

Not saying some insurers are not better than others, just that I see nothing that suggests the site in the OP's link is any way unbiased.
Not just my experience, but many thousands to millions of folks experience with hundreds of Insurers.

But if we are now using reverse or assertive low logic to discern truth, there is also nothing to suggest that the list is biased. So there is no meaning to your point at all?

Summary being there is nothing indicating any bias what-so-ever either way. There is not even any claim that it is any sort of statistical based study, either.

Like City-Data is formed from a collection of Real World People having Real World Experiences in the Real World-- Real World Insurers move up and down the list over time depending on their Real World behavior with Real World People.

Even getting away from the Highly Marketed and Highly Advertised Insurers on the Bad Faith Side of the List -- There is a whole List of Good Faith history Insurers. That is the real benefit of the list -- not only getting away from Bad Actors, but indicating who the Good Actors are.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:46 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,277,080 times
it appears to me that a lot of them on the bad list are large companies and companies with a lot of presence in the personal lines arena ........ as most people have little idea what they are buying and how their contracts read, it can be very frustrating dealing with claims regardless of the insurance company

also, since people rarely go out of their way with praise, you would have to expect some correlation between high volume = high raw complaint #s

they should also factor things in like financial rating, depth of coverage, etc

also, since everyones needs are so diverse it's hard to make such a catch all list - a company like chubb is great for executive lines / financial lines products .... but I wouldn't shop them for other items
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics