Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 09:03 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyne View Post
I usually agree with your positions except in this case.

So now a degree is not acceptable? It has to be obtained at a certain GPA. If this is the case why not flunk anyone below a 3.5 GPA?

As far as suing I can understand where shes coming from. You are told what you need to do to better yourself and get a job and she has achieved what was asked of her and now shes being told that this is not good enough(moving the goal posts).
You apparently agree with the "I am a victim mentality.

Think of all the people she could sue because she didn't get a job:

Her high school and its teachers
Why not her college professors who graded too hard?
Why not the employees who rejected her? Surely it is discrimination if they hired someone with a better GPA!
Obama or Bush for the poor economy

Whine whine whine whine.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 09:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:

So now a degree is not acceptable? It has to be obtained at a certain GPA. If this is the case why not flunk anyone below a 3.5 GPA?

As far as suing I can understand where shes coming from. You are told what you need to do to better yourself and get a job and she has achieved what was asked of her and now shes being told that this is not good enough(moving the goal posts).
She was in school for figure 4 years. She should know how competitive it is and GPA's count when looking for a job. The goal posts NEVER moved.
There are more graduates than jobs..plain and simple. Any company would want the brightest and best of the class.

I worked my butt off in college to keep a high GPA because I knew the big companies wouldn't even look at my app if it were low.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
But she had a soild attendance record.I mean she wooldn;t know what she's doing; but will be there.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But she had a soild attendance record.I mean she wooldn;t know what she's doing; but will be there.
Like colleges take attendance....

Old 08-03-2009, 10:04 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,641 times
Quote:

You have a fundamental lack of understanding as to what education is all about. Education is not about getting a person a job, education is about educating people. Generally education leads to better employment because educated people, in theory, have more to offer employees - assuming requisite knowledge and assuming a work ethic. A 2.7 GPA generally proves an absence of both. At any rates, schools are not worker factories.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:29 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
You have a fundamental lack of understanding as to what education is all about. Education is not about getting a person a job, education is about educating people. Generally education leads to better employment because educated people, in theory, have more to offer employees - assuming requisite knowledge and assuming a work ethic. A 2.7 GPA generally proves an absence of both. At any rates, schools are not worker factories.
I'll concede that the case this lady is pleading is preposterous, but you're the one off the mark regarding education. Education ceased to be that concept of universitás a LOOONNNG TIME AGO. Going to college is pursuing the de facto high school diploma that's required to beg for employment in an economy of phD holding Best Buy part-time middle managers, phsycology degree holding JCPenney cashiers and starving adjunct professors. Plain and simple. If it weren't, people wouldn't go 30K-120K in the hole to "NOT" have guaranteed employment. If you actually think the reason people don't blink twice when diving into financial serfdom is because they have a higher non-economic valuation of the abstraction of an education as opposed to the BELIEF that said financial investment merely and simply will yield a higher compensation cap, and one to justify the initial debt investment in the first place mind you, then you need to check the prescription in those rose colored glasses.

Colleges are businesses, rackets to be exact, and their mission statement is to churn through as many incoming freshmen as possible, to delay graduations as much as possible and to maintain a facade over the idea that going to their puppy degree mill is in effect a guarantor of high compensation and employment. Once again, people continue to go in the hole because of that belief, not because they value the abstraction of an education. If people actually believed in your idea of college there'd be no modern colleges a we know them, because nobody would go, as most of the peanut gallery out there at the very least recognizes the gallactically obvious reality that you don't need to go to school to get an education when it comes to the abstract value of such. People cough up money to get a job that pays them enough money to repay that debt and attain the material wealth they aspired to in the first place. Whether those expectations are misplaced as a collective, that's for another thread, but to suggest people do or even should pursue college for the abstract valuation of an education is beyond anachronistic.

As it stands however, college is turning out to be a lousy investment in terms of purchasing power, as there continues to be an erosion of wages fueled by the fact that there are too many graduates and degree holders than desirable jobs. This means that the value of a college education, much like any monetary currency, suffers from increasing inflation, which devalues said degree. simple economics. As such, the solution lies NOT in abstinence (not getting a degree at all, although it is advisable if you're able to attain your purchasing power expectations without going in debt for it) but rather in precipitating the logical conclusion to the degree dilema. This is to say, we need to accelerate the social perception that college degrees are high school diplomas and make them free. Doing this will crumble the education racket and put a lot of professors, administrators and education support workers in the unemployed and underemployed rolls. But hey, if globalization is good enough for their students it's good enough for them too. The net effect will be a restoration of people's purchasing power by simple virtue of removing a financial burden at the beginning of the median worker's labor career.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:44 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Think of all of the college grads who won't be hired with a 3.8 GPA because of their Facebook page.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:35 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post

... Education ceased to be that concept of universitás a LOOONNNG TIME AGO. Going to college is pursuing the de facto high school diploma

... education as ... financial investment merely and simply (increasingly) will (not) yield a higher compensation cap, and one (not) to justify the initial debt investment ...

Colleges are businesses, rackets to be exact, and their mission statement is to churn through as many incoming freshmen as possible, to delay graduations as much as possible and to maintain a facade over the idea that going to their puppy degree mill is in effect a guarantor of high compensation and employment.

... you don't need to go to school to get an education when it comes to the abstract value of such.

As it stands however, college is turning out to be a lousy investment in terms of purchasing power, as there continues to be an erosion of wages fueled by the fact that there are too many graduates and degree holders than desirable jobs. This means that the value of a college education, much like any monetary currency, suffers from increasing inflation, which devalues said degree. Simple economics.
"Dispense with the education of the schools and have good masters at home instead"

On balance, this advice is as good as it was around 1800 years ago, given in the midst of a civilization at its zenith and on the verge of decline, though I do agree that total abstinence is not the answer (perhaps not yet anyway).

My father earned a diploma from a commercial high school in the 1950s and he later worked through a very successful self-employed business career.

I sought the universitas type education in the 1980s, achieved it through a combination of private high school, public and private universities, and a large dose of self-study. I graduated from a private university, but paid only two years of full tuition. I paid for my own masters degrees from European universities at the fraction of the cost of a US university or virtually no cost at all. I run a successful internet-based business combining my education and experience.

Now in almost the 2010s, for a child I would consider either private school or home school and perhaps prepaid tuition at a public university, just to have it as a piece of paper, encouraging the child to obtain it as soon as possible, and leave open graduate school or other type of learning.

I expect that many others will increasingly consider practical training in a profession that requires some level of technical competence but not highly exposed to global competition such as electrician, plumbing, HVAC servicing, maintenance and repair of all kinds of mechanical and electronic machinery, etc.

Among them, those who wish to pursue being human (universitas, humanities, all-around education) may do so through a combination of resources that begins with good masters at home, and may of course also include public resources where effective.

The worst possible outcome for our declining civilization, besides violent destruction, would be mediocrity imposed from above, like the whiner with the 2.7 GPA would have. It happens. But there are remedies for that as well.

Good luck!

Last edited by bale002; 08-04-2009 at 03:48 AM..

Old 08-04-2009, 05:12 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
I wonder what her GPA was...the story was so vague.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
hindsight2020 accurately described the modern college education racket. It is nothing but a quasi business academic rip-off designed to maintain the class structure of America at the expense of the country.

My wife and I received our degrees 40 years ago. She is in love of learning and I just wanted a sit down job that did not involve precision machining, or maybe an outdoors job that didn't involve baling hay. She studied Medieval History and I studied environmental science. Except for a short period of running my own company, I have been moderately well employed ever since. She has never used her studies for employment. With that in mind, I think she received the better education than I but I got my professional working papers. Fortunately a State College degree didn’t cost all that much on the late 60’s.

The big difference was the government guaranteeing of student loans and using these loans to replace grants. This effectively took the lid off education costs because it freed the tax payer of any responsibility for educating the future citizens and off industry for training future white collar workers. It, by vastly increasing supply, dropped the wages of future workers to barely enough to pay for school loans.

All in all this system worked well for the employers and not so well for the workers. What do you expect from applying “good business practice” and Reganomics to something as important as providing education to produce knowledgeable and thought citizens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics