Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2007, 02:05 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times

Advertisements

I guess that is what they are called---they go to different stores and stock the merchandise then move on to the next store.

Already checked on Hallmark--I think 'Give' these jobs to employees with many years service---I need a progressive company.

I saw some women stocking flowers at a Walmart--they have great artificial flowers --bought some and got the name of a couple of companies from the tags.

If anyone knows how to find such a position--I'd appreciate your thoughts.

I have considerable retail, teaching, general office experience--and believe I would be 'Great' at this.

Best job I ever had was delivering phone books--just load up the vehicle and head out each AM---completely on your own. Then go back and get some more. My car is really too little to do that--they really wanted vans and trucks--so I need a smaller item--flowers, candles, cards --maybe.

I guess I could go ask Walmart about this---I certainly know how to ask questions--some will respond in a helpful manner and some won't. shrug--Like Tina Turner--'I don't do Hard' any more--just go ask somebody else if I can't get an answer.

sls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 03:33 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Here are a few companies that I know of that use people in these kinds of positions (I've known a few people that worked for these companies). With some of these companies it is a starting position to move on up in the company to possibly have people that do the routes underneath you.

Frito-Lay (potato chips)
Mrs. Bairds (bread - this is a Texas company but other bread companies do the same so contact one in your area like Rainbow)
Hostess (snacks)
Little Debbie (snack cakes, etc)
Digornio/Tombstone (frozen pizza)
Coke (soft drink)

This is a few off the top of my head.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:52 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
I see ads for this sort of job in the newspaper occasionally, including Hallmark. My uncle delivers Edy's Ice Cream.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:33 PM

364 posts, read 527,258 times
I once applied for a position advertised in the local paper for Hallmark. I emailed my resume (I have office, accounting and finance experience) and they emailed me back and told me I was overqualified. The position was for 1-6 hours per week. So, you may want to down play your experience. I don't know much about this, just what I was told. Good luck.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:17 AM

Thumbs up Thanks--Here's some FYI on 'Other' Jobs..

I am still going to look into this sort of job--but I found some interesting companies just driving around.

There is a company called 'Very Truly Yours'---they want a graphics/web designer in Flowery Branch, GA--the company is based in Nebraska, IIRC.

Also--Morris Publishing---self publishing--if anyone has a need for that--great website for writers--Go To: 'Absolute Write'--www.absolutewrite.com I guess.

Then there's Chateau Elan--a vineyard/spa/resort--my idea of a wonderful work environment---Braselton, GA--they have all sorts of jobs. North of Atlanta.

I really might like to work with landscapers--

and if anyone needs to know--Hallmark has an outlet store in Lawrenceville, GA--thought I might drop by and see what they have and know about working for Hallmark.
Probably just say--'Apply'. LOL--

A company that I think is good--located in North Carolina--'Carolina Cookie Company'--I might contact them again. They handle all sorts of gift items and I might like doing something like that...I know I would enjoy their products.

sls

Old 04-28-2007, 12:09 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
there are many different categories of "shelf-stalkers" mostly called "merchandisers"
first, is a store employee, second, is a vendor of a particular line of product, as mentioned above,,,,these are very very hard physical and stressful jobs,,the chips/.bread/soft drinks, ...these are usually distributed by region,,,you have route salesman and ,,delivery men,,,again,,hard jobs,,,they have to hit 30-40 stores a day,,and have to wait to back into a store,,because other vendors are always there.., there product is bastardized within the store,,because it may be a guaranteed sale,,
(no shrink)
3rd,,there are salesman and merchandisers that work for wholesalers,,,,,they come and order product,,also stock it,,,
now ,,what id suggest is trying to find,,,a magazine rack,,,,hallmark cards route,,,or hbc (health and beaty care) within the supermarkets,,far less physical that a soft drink merchandisor,,,

now,,you could be a "job coach" for the mentally challenged, i see many in large stores,,that work full or part time and they "block" the shelves up,,the high end ones with rotate and stock shelves,,,,if you were there job coach, you just keep an eye on them,,help them out,,

Old 04-28-2007, 01:46 PM

Default Good ideas...

3rd,,there are salesman and merchandisers that work for wholesalers,,,,,they come and order product,,also stock it,,,
now ,,what id suggest is trying to find,,,a magazine rack,,,,hallmark cards route,,,or hbc (health and beaty care) within the supermarkets,,far less physical that a soft drink merchandisor,,,

now,,you could be a "job coach" for the mentally challenged, i see many in large stores,,that work full or part time and they "block" the shelves up,,the high end ones with rotate and stock shelves,,,,if you were there job coach, you just keep an eye on them,,help them out,,[/quote]

I know I cannot drive a soft drink truck so the product would have to be 'smaller'--cards or flowers or something like that.

I would like being a 'job coach'---thought about working for Goodwill...

I need to find out more about them. I shop there a lot and admire the 'Plan'--in favor of any form of recycling and providing community support...

I'll check around.

Thanks again.

sls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics