Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 03:36 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBower View Post
How could they do any of these things with just my phone number? The people using my phone number don't even use my name. I really don't think this is ID theft, just someone gave the collection agency a fake number (in this case, mine).
Then I would change my phone number, the phone company will usually put a different name on the phone if you ask. For example, I had them use only my the initial of my middle name and had them mis-spell my last name.

Be very careful when giving out that phone number, all sorts of companies will ask for it as part of a transaction, ToysRus will ask for it, which I decline to give.

That video is PRICELESS.

I went through something similar with Sprint. I wouldn't use Sprint if they were the last company on the planet after all the BS they put me through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 04:14 PM

23,563 posts, read 12,535,636 times
Quote:
Posse to the rescue huh? lol you guys are a trip.

I understand perfectly about c&d letters, and the need to certify and all that crap...blah blah. You guys aren't the first people to state the obvious.
Uh, wow. Okay everyone should get it now, you posted asking for advice that you really don't want. I guess all the advice you really wanted to hear was for someone to say "go ahead, send the email".

Quote:
And no, just because they have my cell number does NOT mean they have my info. My cell is a pay as you go account, registered a long time ago at another address in another city. The company that provides the pay as you go service does not even correspond with me, or keep my current address on file. If anything, the CA might be to locate one of my old addresses with that number with a reverse search, but not even that is a guarantee.
Keep thinking that way if you choose. You fail to realize that for the low price of $8, and about a month wait, they can find out, from one single source - L/N, everything about you. Where you live and had lived, who your neighbors were in every place you lived, who your family is and where they live and had lived, everything about your spouse and your spouses family, old roommates, where you and everyone else in your life works and had worked, names of co-workers, etc., etc., etc........ (shoot, those reports from that company are so invasive that the report might even give the name of the person you shared your pudding cup with in the 3rd grade) And, unless you are a person of note, ie, Leno, Gates, Bush, Palin, Trump, etc., then there is nothing you can do about removing anything from that report, even if some info is incorrect, or in suppressing it entirely.

While I cannot, in good conscience, tell you that sending an email is a great idea, I suppose if you hang around long enough then eventually someone will come along to pat you on the back and tell you to do that, since that appears to be all that you want to hear.

Many of the people who had posted, had posted only to try to help you protect your rights. For their time and efforts all you have done was turn around and slam them for it. I cannot speak for the rest, as you put it .. "posse", but I believe I will mosey along and post in another thread of someone who would actually like to protect their rights.

.... happy trails to you

Old 08-08-2009, 04:41 PM

125 posts, read 760,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Uh, wow. Okay everyone should get it now, you posted asking for advice that you really don't want. I guess all the advice you really wanted to hear was for someone to say "go ahead, send the email".

Keep thinking that way if you choose. You fail to realize that for the low price of $8, and about a month wait, they can find out, from one single source - L/N, everything about you. Where you live and had lived, who your neighbors were in every place you lived, who your family is and where they live and had lived, everything about your spouse and your spouses family, old roommates, where you and everyone else in your life works and had worked, names of co-workers, etc., etc., etc........ (shoot, those reports from that company are so invasive that the report might even give the name of the person you shared your pudding cup with in the 3rd grade) And, unless you are a person of note, ie, Leno, Gates, Bush, Palin, Trump, etc., then there is nothing you can do about removing anything from that report, even if some info is incorrect, or in suppressing it entirely.

While I cannot, in good conscience, tell you that sending an email is a great idea, I suppose if you hang around long enough then eventually someone will come along to pat you on the back and tell you to do that, since that appears to be all that you want to hear.

Many of the people who had posted, had posted only to try to help you protect your rights. For their time and efforts all you have done was turn around and slam them for it. I cannot speak for the rest, as you put it .. "posse", but I believe I will mosey along and post in another thread of someone who would actually like to protect their rights.

.... happy trails to you
wow, just wow. You and Bosco are textbook cases of 'discussion forum junkies'. People with massive ego's who spend most of their time cruising boards, ready to start an argument with anyone who dares offer up another opinion.

Get something straight little man, I came on here looking for 'advice', not a condescending lecture. You and Bosco do not speak for everyone who visits this thread, or any other thread. I am not slamming everyone who has posted here, just you and your partner. I actually appreciated your comments before they developed a condescending tone.

Next time, check your ego at the door.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Emails not being admissible varies from state to state. In MD emails are subpoenable and admissible. They may also be requested from governments in a Freedom of Information Act request.

I had a similar situation when I first got a cell phone a few years ago. The previous holder of the number owed just about everyone and I got calls for two years asking for her.
Great advice, thanks!

Old 08-08-2009, 05:11 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
wow, just wow. You and Bosco are textbook cases of 'discussion forum junkies'. People with massive ego's who spend most of their time cruising boards, ready to start an argument with anyone who dares offer up another opinion.

Get something straight little man, I came on here looking for 'advice', not a condescending lecture. You and Bosco do not speak for everyone who visits this thread, or any other thread. I am not slamming everyone who has posted here, just you and your partner. I actually appreciated your comments before they developed a condescending tone.

Next time, check your ego at the door.
How about you get something straight. You came here asking for help, and I addressed specific concerns of yours in posts #10 and #24 and you chose to act like a dick and fight with me over the advice, so I told you to do it your way in post #26.

Neither me, nor Berdee tried to "start an argument" with you. All we did was come into a thread where a noob like you was asking for help and do our best to give that help, since we've both been there and now try help fellow consumers.

You are the only one in this thread with the ego running rampant. Now, I'll leave you to your own devices, as this is going to be my last post in this thread.

Good luck. You're gonna need it.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
How about you get something straight. You came here asking for help, and I addressed specific concerns of yours in posts #10 and #24 and you chose to act like a dick and fight with me over the advice, so I told you to do it your way in post #26.
When did I fight you for it? Show me chief! I offered another opinion, another approach, and you couldn't handle it. "how dare this noob suggest than I'm not right" is your attitude.

Quote:
Neither me, nor Berdee tried to "start an argument" with you.
You're right, you didn't try to start an argument until you realized I wasn't following every golden piece of advice your dishing out. How dare I!

Quote:
All we did was come into a thread where a noob like you was asking for help and do our best to give that help, since we've both been there and now try help fellow consumers.
Ah yes, I'm a noob, a measley noob with a mere 67 posts to your 1259. How dare I even think of challenging your infinite wisdom.

Every discussion forum has 3 or 4 resident ego-maniacs like you and berdie, get off your computer and get a hobby man, get a hobby.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:03 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
I'd just quit answering the phone when a call comes from that number. After a period of getting no where and no one answering the voice mail's they leave they will stop calling. I know this from experience and it works. I got the number of someone who apparently owed everyone under the sun money and even though for a period they got a "this number has been disconnected" recording they continued to call when i was given the number this person had. 10 calls a day at one point and eventually I quit answering calls I did not recognize and I never gave that number out to someone I had to speak with that couldn't identify the number they would be calling from. This is going to become a very big problem all over with so many phone numbers in existence. You should not have to bother with nor pay someone else's collectible debt.

Above all, when you do speak with these callers do not offer them your name; they don't have a right to it.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:12 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
I don't know if anyone here has had any experience with debt collection agencies, but I could use some advice.

About a year ago I started getting harrassed by a debt collection company. The company is calling for a person I do not know. I have same last name as the guy, but I do not know him.

The debt collection company has called my number 20+ times over the past year. I've talked to their agents about 4 times, and each time I explain I am not this person, and that I want to be removed from their system. Yet they keep calling me, each time its a different agent.

I did a reverse trace on the number they left me, and found the name of the company online. I found their website and email. I'm thinking of sending them a strongly worded email explaining the situation again, and demanding they stop calling or I will go to the pole.

I'm not sure what else to do.

The strange thing is, I started recieving calls about 4 or 5 years ago from various debt collection agencies calling for 'many' different people, none of whom I know. Usually I just tell them they have the wrong number, and they go away, but this particular company is being very aggressive.
Talking to collection agencies over the telephone is a total was of time. First, you must request (in writing, certified mail, return receipt requested) verification of the debt. They have 30 days to provide proof that the debt is yours and is correct. If they provide you with the other person's information, then you must contest the debt (in writing, certified mail, return receipt requested) and tell them (in the letter) to cease and desist contacting you in any way. Also, I would certainly get a copy of my credit report from all three credit bureaus to make certain that this erroneous debt does not appear on any of them.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-08-2009, 09:35 PM

426 posts, read 1,282,785 times
Default Phone calls

This has happened to me also.I moved into this place where I am at now, over three years ago. I got a new phone number at the time, and it had previouslly been someone elses.
Turns out these people owe everybody and their brother. I have been getting calls now for over three years.
I told the idiots on numerous occassions, check my phone number with the phone company and you will see that I am not this person. They told me they don't have time to do that. Now every time they call they get an earful, so after one time they don't call back, but then they turn around and give the number to another brave soul to try again.
It goes in cycles. Sometimes I don't get a call for months, then I get one after another.
I do not want to change my number, as everyone I know has this one.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:15 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,794,241 times
Quote:
Every discussion forum has 3 or 4 resident ego-maniacs like you and berdie, get off your computer and get a hobby man, get a hobby.
Are you the third or the fourth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics