Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 11:05 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,531,548 times

Advertisements

So, I paid my credit card bill last month on the day it was due, and it was after 3 PM so they didn't post it until the day after. Well, that caused a late charge of $39.00 on my account. I told them what had happened, and they said it was my fault for not paying it before 3 PM (which it was). So, I smugly said "fine, I just won't pay it anymore" just to be an ass. (I put my books on there every semester and pay it off within 2 months, I'm not making luxury purchases or anything, LOL). I would have paid it. I just have what some call an "attitude problem" and "authority issues," so I make empty threats. You know the story.

Anyway, they said "please hold, we'll transfer you to our customer retention department." I thought it was weird, but I stayed on the line. They took off the late charge, INCREASED my limit by $1000, gave me a 0% rate for 6 mos, and a new interest rate after that of 9.99% (vs 18.99% right now). I was baffled. All of that from an empty threat? They MUST be getting desperate to keep non-delinquent accounts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 01:25 AM

1,264 posts, read 3,859,904 times
Ever heard of "squeaky wheel gets the grease"?

Old 08-25-2009, 06:50 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,632,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
So, I paid my credit card bill last month on the day it was due, and it was after 3 PM so they didn't post it until the day after. Well, that caused a late charge of $39.00 on my account. I told them what had happened, and they said it was my fault for not paying it before 3 PM (which it was). So, I smugly said "fine, I just won't pay it anymore" just to be an ass. (I put my books on there every semester and pay it off within 2 months, I'm not making luxury purchases or anything, LOL). I would have paid it. I just have what some call an "attitude problem" and "authority issues," so I make empty threats. You know the story.

Anyway, they said "please hold, we'll transfer you to our customer retention department." I thought it was weird, but I stayed on the line. They took off the late charge, INCREASED my limit by $1000, gave me a 0% rate for 6 mos, and a new interest rate after that of 9.99% (vs 18.99% right now). I was baffled. All of that from an empty threat? They MUST be getting desperate to keep non-delinquent accounts.
Why would you wait until the last minute to pay your bill? Why not pay it 2 or 4 days ahead of time and not have to be put in this situation?

Old 08-25-2009, 07:00 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Probably once a year or two I run late on a credit card bill due to mail timing etc.

They always remove all of my charges and fees.

It's just that I'm busy and hadn't paid the bills for over a decade so sometimes I'm just absent minded. If it were super critical then I'd probably pay closer attention.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:04 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,678,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
They MUST be getting desperate to keep non-delinquent accounts.
Actually, I don't think they are. I just had my highest credit limit card cancelled by Chase Bank for no reason that they can give me other than the fact that it was previously a WaMu card and apparently they're axing most of them. The stupid thing is, I also had a card with Chase and they want to maintain that one, yet cancel my other one. I requested that they merge the accounts, but was flatly refused.

If they really want to keep good accounts, mine is one that should have been kept. I have a high-700s credit rating, in the years I owned the card I never made a late payment even once (nor am I ever late on any of the three cards I own), and I always made more than the minimum payment. I also generally maintained a moderate balance on it, so they don't have the excuse that the card wasn't being used.

As a result of Chase Bank being so unreasonable with me as a good customer, I've recently moved my checking and savings account out of their bank (to the tune of over $100k), cancelled the card I had with them, and I will never patronize them again. They also will not get my business when it comes time this spring for me to pick up a mortgage or two.

Screw them, I say. I will find a better bank to give my business.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:27 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,708,981 times
If you regularly pay on time, typically you won't need to make an empty threat to get the charge removed. Simply asking has always worked for me.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:47 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,540,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post

Screw them, I say. I will find a better bank to give my business.
I was with WAMU as well -- from my experience it was a pretty good operation. They would clear customer payment checks immediately, so I could always pay subs and suppliers immediately, as well.

I could travel, move money in and out of state, with real people back here in Texas, just a phone call could clear everything.

We have four accounts -- business checking, two personal checking, and a saving account for the kids with them and two credit -- one business, one personal.

Now it is Chase. OK. Dunno about that. Sort of sad to see the guys now wearing ties. I am presently zeroing down the credit lines, and I am waiting to see how and what they will do. I am sort of biased to at least split some up into smaller local banks -- per Katherine Austin Fitts recommendations.

Where are you thinking about jumping to?

Old 08-25-2009, 10:28 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,678,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
I was with WAMU as well -- from my experience it was a pretty good operation. They would clear customer payment checks immediately, so I could always pay subs and suppliers immediately, as well.
I agree, I actually liked WaMu. They never did me wrong, and they were good about being on the ball with things.

Quote:
Where are you thinking about jumping to?
I took my money to a local credit union for now, that a couple of my friends in business recommended.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:56 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,142,155 times
Great story.

American Express is raising my interest rate for the second time in a year, and when I called them on it, they said it was going up to a different APR number than was on the notice letter. I'm going to wait until that new interest rate goes into effect in October, then give them holy freaking omfg fire and brimstone.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:23 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,540,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I agree, I actually liked WaMu. They never did me wrong, and they were good about being on the ball with things.
I had heard some folks less than happy from time-to-time, but I agree, they served us VERY Well.

Quote:
I took my money to a local credit union for now, that a couple of my friends in business recommended.
Got to think about this since I asked you -- I agree with your CU thinking, as well. I guess you had a friend to recommend yours -- anybody know of good or bad CU's in the Dallas / Fort Worth area?

I am thinking we will start with something like back-up accounts at a couple of different places, and see what we think of them?

Probably a CU accounts for Mrs. and the kids, and I am looking at this bank for Business and my stuff >>> Sterling Bank Anybody know anything good or bad about them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics