U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 06:58 AM

12,869 posts, read 13,717,402 times

Advertisements

Grandfather Government Growth Report by MWHodges

the charts show the picture of big government growth to the point where today's government consumes 45% of the economy by its spending, plus another 13% of the economy via its un-funded regulatory mandates - - leaving less than half of the economy to the free-market private sector. Additionally, federal government debt is now approaching $10 Trillion, 67% of which was created since 1990.

this is not going to be our average recession.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 07:20 AM

When conventional economic wisdom repeatedly fails, it becomes necessary to revisit that conventional wisdom. Government spending fails to stimulate economic growth because every dollar Congress "injects" into the economy must first be taxed or borrowed out of the economy. Thus, government spending "stimulus" merely redistributes existing income, doing nothing to increase productivity or employment, and therefore nothing to create additional income. Even worse, many federal expenditures weaken the private sector by directing resources toward less productive uses and thus impede income growth. (heritage)

a current example is cash for clunkers. the government directed taxpayer spending towards the auto sector, NOT EVEN AMERICAN AUTOS EXCLUSIVELY, (DUH) and the rest of the consumer market took a dive this month.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:48 AM

1,403 posts, read 3,259,011 times
So-what is your solution to the problem?

Seems like alot of people are more than willing to point out that a problem exists, but short on offering up a solution to the problem.

BTW....am I interrupting here? Looks like you are having a discussion with yourself!

Old 08-14-2009, 07:55 AM

i added a point, sorry if that confused you.

the solution is to stop big government growth, audit the federal reserve, stop cap and trade, put tariffs on imports, deport illegal immigrants, and get back to fiscal responsibility.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:06 AM

7,090 posts, read 11,195,350 times
Yay! We are all doomed!

Old 08-14-2009, 10:16 AM

1,403 posts, read 3,259,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i added a point, sorry if that confused you.

the solution is to stop big government growth, audit the federal reserve, stop cap and trade, put tariffs on imports, deport illegal immigrants, and get back to fiscal responsibility.
Wait a minute....are you Shawn Hannity? haha....sounds straight out of the Hannity/O'Reilly/Limbaugh playbook to me. You forgot the big fence to keep the Mexicans out!

Why is this in the biz forum? Get too crowded over in the debate forum?

Old 08-14-2009, 10:16 AM

975 posts, read 1,631,503 times
This is what happens when you get all your financial education from blogs.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Wait a minute....are you Shawn Hannity? haha....sounds straight out of the Hannity/O'Reilly/Limbaugh playbook to me. You forgot the big fence to keep the Mexicans out!

Why is this in the biz forum? Get too crowded over in the debate forum?
it is in this forum because it is an economic discussion, although you are trying to turn it into a political discussion.

Last edited by floridasandy; 08-14-2009 at 12:49 PM..

Old 08-14-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
This is what happens when you get all your financial education from blogs.
the charts are from the BEA website. do you consider that a blog?

the only way to get the job market moving is to allow the private sector to grow again, since jobs are actually created by the private sector.

Last edited by floridasandy; 08-14-2009 at 12:54 PM..

Old 08-14-2009, 12:54 PM

86,068 posts, read 76,925,014 times
Consumers are tapped out and scared. What little money they have they are stashing away.
They've cut back spending.

In a consumer driven economy this is bad. I see where the government has had to step in to be the consumer of last resort to keep the wheels turning. But they cannot continue doing this.

Walmart's report provided some interesting insight. They cut back inventories by 6% which saved them some money. But that also indicates normal Joe is not buying as much.

I see Walmart as a canary in the coal mine. Not the only one but one to follow. As people's standard of living decline they will revert to shopping at Walmart vs Central Market and I find Walmart reports to be a good indicator. This current report shows that even Walmart shoppers are pulling back.

With revenue strained companies can only cut so much from their operating costs before the losses have a severe effect on their business model. Companies have been cutting back now since last summer and I'm thinking they cannot cut any more.

Government spending will not do what consumer spending can do. If the economy doesn't turn around in any decent timeframe I'm afraid we're going to start seeing some major bankruptcy filings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics