Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 02:20 PM

339 posts, read 2,205,105 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm still looking at different careers in finance, so I was wondering if anyone can tell me about corporate finance, especially if you work in that field in terms of career path, compensation, stress, boring/fun, etc.? Also, would a CPA or CFA be more useful for climbing up the ladder in this field?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 02:24 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
Hi,

I'm still looking at different careers in finance, so I was wondering if anyone can tell me about corporate finance, especially if you work in that field in terms of career path, compensation, stress, boring/fun, etc.? Also, would a CPA or CFA be more useful for climbing up the ladder in this field?

thanks

My best advice on this career path is to make sure you move, or can move to a major corporate center.

I originally wanted to be in corporate finance (maybe an analyst), and after I became sick, and relocating to NYC was no longer an option, I found out quick that there was absolutely no demand at all for this around Norfolk, VA.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:01 AM

339 posts, read 2,205,105 times
bump

Old 08-29-2009, 07:31 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,306 times
I work at an Investment Bank, so probably not an apples to apples comparison to Corp. Finance but I will give you my $0.02.

I work in this field solely for the compensation. I find very little to be "fun" or rewarding. That is just me. I have coworkers whose eyes light up in a meeting when discussing certain issues, processes, nostro accounts or whatever. So I think it really depends on what "floats your boat", makes you want to jump out of bed in the morning. I am going somewhere with this.... stay with me....

So, as far as a CFA or CPA (I have an MBA)... I would recommend doing some kind of personal assessment before undergoing either. Have a plan of how you want to use these certifications. You might find that they are not necessarily the answer on their own merit.

Personally, I think climbing up the ladder can occur in many ways. A combination of preparation, determination and flat out luck (lucky timing, etc.). You are going to be more successful if you like what you do. At the end of the day, relationships/ contacts are your best route for success.

Anyway, hope I answered your question somewhat and hope the information is helpful.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:44 AM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,375 times
Jumpman,

An MBA would be more useful for Corp Finance than either a CPA or a CFA. The CFA is generally targeted at investment management or investments and won't be useful at all for Corp Finance IMO. That said, if you want to some day make the transition to that side it can be useful. CPA is also pretty much not useful for Corp Finance but if you want to move up the ladder to a corporate controller or some job that runs accounting + finance it might be useful. More useful than a CFA for sure if you want to stay working for a corporation. All that said, an MBA will help you way more than either a CFA or CPA for a corporate finance career.

I think a lot of undergrad corporate finance jobs make 40-45k. MBA level corporate finance makes 75-100k. I know many people (disclaimer, I have MBA, don't work in the field but have friends climbing the corp finance ladder) that were stunted 3-4 years after undergrad in corporate finance until they got an MBA. If you get a CPA many people in corporate finance will think you want to become an accountant. If you get a CFA many will think you want to be an investment manager. Neither will really deliver the right message or give you the relevant skills to climb the ladder. MBA gets you into a network and provides relevant skills for corporate finance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics