Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 02:02 PM

975 posts, read 1,754,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
It hardly matters if China's economy is nominally smaller than Japan's in USD. The fact you bring that up means you have little concept of economic strength besides your ability to google GDP off the CIA factbook.

Do you know how much it costs to take a taxi in Japan? About 750 yen ($8.60) for 2 kilometers. In China it's 10 yuan ($1.30) for 3 km. Do you know how much a concrete 400 sq ft studio apartment with no insulation costs in Japan? Japan's asset prices are still obscene and make the US housing boom prices look weak sauce.

If China appreciates its currency tomorrow such that 1 yuan = 1 USD (it's currently about 6.8 yuan to 1 USD). Would China's economy suddenly be 6.8 times larger than it is today even though nothing else has changed? By your interpretation and googling skills, yes China's economy would have suddenly grown by 6.8 fold and would be about 6 times larger than Japan's economy. Absurd? That's what your focus on GDP in USD terms essentially comes down to.

And it's pretty rich of you to talk about China's wide scale fraud, coming right off the largest global financial crisis precipitated primarily by the US. I know you don't really like China very much, but here's a little context: in 1955, the life expectancy of a person born in China was just 36 and China was poorer than Zimbabwe. They've come a long way since then.
Your pretty nasty for someone who can't do math or understand basic economic principles. I won't bother correcting your errors as it seems perhaps this whole China/US thing is a bit personal to you. Just know that China has been and likely will always be a seaspool and the US will continue it's world dominance well into the future.

Btw, I have nothing against China. They are what they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 02:29 PM

45 posts, read 157,843 times
It's spelled cesspool.
A comparison.

China graduates 300 engineers to 1 for America.
They produce the world's goods while America produces movies and burgers.
They own America's debt.
Their kids, and most of the world's, are better educated and literate than America's.
Their national IQ is higher than America's.
There are more murders and rapes in the US in one day than other countries have in a year.

If you saw the LA riots and New Orleans, then you know what you must do.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:37 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Oh... well I forgot about the all-important national IQ. Since you put it that way... of course.. we'll all be speaking Mandarin this time next year.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
everyone is worried about too much spending except us.
and how did those other countries-- giants b4 --turn into midgets?
wars and debt

Old 11-30-2009, 02:56 PM

126 posts, read 335,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
Your pretty nasty for someone who can't do math or understand basic economic principles. I won't bother correcting your errors as it seems perhaps this whole China/US thing is a bit personal to you. Just know that China has been and likely will always be a seaspool and the US will continue it's world dominance well into the future.

Btw, I have nothing against China. They are what they are.
Maybe you should enlighten us on your math and basic economic fundamentals, rather than run away from an argument.

Guinea bought up a good point about currency revaluations. If China's currency appreciates significantly, then China's economy will also be much larger in dollar terms. Duh. It's foolish to compare developing economies using GDP as you did, because it's simply too dependent on exchange rates. It's particularly foolish to do it for China since their currency isn't freely traded.

I've been to both China and Japan several times to oversee training at local universities there. The raw economic numbers understate the strength of China's economy and overstate the strength of Japan's. Day to day life in a Chinese coastal city is not all that different from the urban Japanese. This surprised me too when I went, as I had an image of Japan being a high-tech mecca and China being drabby and well...Communist. In the end, I found both countries to be very similar: overcrowded, bureaucratic, excessively competitive and not that pleasant of a place to live. Japan is ridiculously expensive. Moscow is ridiculously expensive as well. Being expensive does not correlate necessarily with having a high standard of living.

Below are some photos I took in Japan this year, I think they're pretty typical of the whole country. They look like they could have been taken in China.

Outside Kyoto, Japan

Osaka, Japan

Tokyo, Japan

Kyoto, Japan

Tokyo, Japan

Tokyo subway station exit

Housing outside Tokyo

Japanese baseball stadium near Hiroshima

Typical Tokyo covered street stores

7-Eleven at Himeji, Japan

High school in Tokyo

Last edited by james011; 11-30-2009 at 03:28 PM..

Old 11-30-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james011 View Post
Maybe you should enlighten us on your math and basic economic fundamentals, rather than run away from an argument.

Sorry, I fight with enough idiots here I'm not adding another to the list.

Guinea bought up a good point about currency revaluations.
No he didn't his point is stupid and shows a basic lack of understanding about currencies and effect their value may play.

If China's currency appreciates significantly, then China's economy will also be much larger in dollar terms.
Not necessarly.

Duh. It's foolish to compare developing economies using GDP as you did, because it's simply too dependent on exchange rates. It's particularly foolish to do it for China since their currency isn't freely traded.
I didn't compare developing economies. Did you even read any of this thread? It was your hero who compared China to Japan.
Go away your clearly just a troll.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:38 PM

126 posts, read 335,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
I didn't compare developing economies. Did you even read any of this thread? It was your hero who compared China to Japan.
I quote you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx
You forgot the most important item.

4. China is a communist nation with such wide scale fraud even people in Washington blush and whose economy is still smaller than Japan's even after 20 years of deflation.
You clearly cannot provide anything of substance to this discussion aside from calling others whom you disagree idiots. Guinea didn't compare China's GDP with Japan's, you did. And now you deny. His point was a simple one: just because Japan no longer became an economic threat to the US doesn't mean China will be the same.

Last edited by james011; 11-30-2009 at 07:23 PM..

Old 11-30-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james011 View Post
I quote you:

You clearly cannot provide anything of substance to this discussion aside from calling others whom you disagree idiots. Guinea didn't compare China's GDP with Japan's, you did. And now you deny. His point was a simple one: just because Japan no longer became an economic threat to the US doesn't mean China will be the same.
Actually I just have chosen not have meaningful debate with fools. You missed the whole freakin point and he never had one. Go away.t's a school night you should be in bed by now.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,238 times
dorock99
u jus cant accept the fact that sumone else may be better than us. america is goin down..all becoz of ppl like u..slef-boasted

Old 12-21-2009, 10:58 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times
I keep hearing the "we" in regard to the business dealings of two superpower nations, both corrupt from the greed they suffer from. There is no "we," it is the business interests of these two giant's that is being discussed, their respective governments are in no way the representative of the people. I don't want to include myself in their dealings when there is no transparency with regard to their financial solvency. This is the nightmare for the globalists, who should you be loyal to in a world of bottom feeders.

"We" have no nation now, we reside in the land of corporate rule, the Chinese people have no government that they can count on either. The Chinese leadership, those trolls of capitalism, have given up the ship in favor of saving their own bacon, and why not? Like their American counterparts they're playing with the people's money.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics