Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 07:20 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,246,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Rot Rogers has been out of business for many years. I mean THE Roy Rogers that was owned by Marriott Corp. I think they sold the name and logo....but, it AIN'T Roy's anymore regardless of the sign out front.

Any comparison between Arby's and the old Roy Rogers is ridiculous. Roy's used real roast beef that you could see them take out of the oven and plop onto the slicer. Arby's uses some pressed together "beef product" made in a factory.

You can see I miss Roy's! Here in the DC area, Roy's were all over the place and WORLD'S away from all the other national fast food joints.

Sounds like you have good memories of the place. I was only like 6 or 7 when they were last relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 01:41 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Sorry I just don't like anything that could possibly be toxic in my house or near my kids. Maybe some of the candles have only non-toxic ingredients (e.g. beeswax) but since I don't have the time nor inclination to research each candle, I just avoid them altogether.

Scented Candles: The Toxic Health Risks | Ecoble

"The average commercially produced candles contain substances, such as paraffin wax, which when burned release toxins into the air and can lead to health problems. Such scented candles may have been made using methods that are linked to refining crude oil and are comprised of fossil-fuel generating hydrocarbons. Carcinogenic toxins that may be released could even cause cancer over an extended period of time, and additional pollutants such as acetone (an ingredient in nail polish remover and paint thinner!), soot, lead, and benzene may all leave their mark, as well. Are your aromatic candles as attractive now?
According to the US Consumer Public Safety Commission, candles are producing more soot than ever before, and lead wicks still remain a problem in imported products up until the last couple years."
Basically the type of wick depends on the type of wax, and it won't burn right if its not. Most wicks are just cotton or fibers. The soot/smoke part of scented candles is also due to the scent. To get a pure, unadultrated scent essencial oils work best but this will make the candle burn with a bit more smoke. One kind of wax that has been recently introduced is soy wax. It has a high heat burn, which means the candles last, but is also smokeless.

There are LOTS of things which produce toxic fumes, most notably cleaners, but people continue to use things like amonia and bleach so things will "smell fresh". Since I'm allergic to them I don't. Generally I use vinegar but I'm sure that has some residual effect other than the smell.

Of course I still like my candles. You aren't supposed to burn them for hours for scent if they are made right. My candles are rather strongly scented, and you don't have to burn them for hours to get the effect. Once the wax is hot and the flame blown out they continue to scent for quite a while, which is very enjoyable. If a candle has to be burned half way down to tell its scented, it was just dipped on the outside. I don't burn those kinds. But if I was buying them made up it would be from a candle shop because they do sell the properly made kinds.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:58 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Nothing... It's the smell of the place that bothers me. I worry some of the cheap import plastics are covered with chemicals (Lead? PCBs?) and I don't want my young children/family exposed to these products. (I know I sound paranoid but I always error on the side of caution in this respect.) If the canned food is made in the U.S./regulated then I would probably buy it. I remember that some of the Mexican made candies in that store were recalled for toxic ingredients.

I'm also pretty thrifty myself... One of my favorite store is the Once Upon A Child resale shop...
Most of the brands are canned in the same places as the national and store brands, just small labels. Regular stores sell stuff canned in other counties as well so its not that much different.

Stores like the 99 cent store have made a great deal of difference for a lot of people who can buy much more for what they have. Not all of the discount stores are equal of course. Some have largely junk and some a lot of normal household stuff just at much better prices than anyone than perhaps Walmart.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:52 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
I agree about Dominos and I delivered for them in a past life.

That dough tastes like the box it sits in, maybe even worse than the box, because the box doesn't deserve that kind of disrespect.

The cheesy bread is alright, even those cheesey dots they made for a little while when I was working for them were nice, too. That's it.

Any store that employs you to push a store credit card is worthless.

I worked for Ward's way back when and I quit right after the holidays when it was announced that hours would be divvied up based on credit apps pushed. Of course, they missed the required budget increase by about .5% and the fit was going to hit the shan soon enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics