Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 10:06 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times

Advertisements

I think the four problems that will sink this country are 1) Federal government, 2) State government, 3) regional government, 4) local government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 10:11 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
I thought it was interesting, no big whoop. I do see broad social trends that are more evident now then they were when I was a kid that seem to match the broad things mentioned, not a majority of people and number 1 especially.

It's actually impacted me a few times where the person who was hired decided to take the first day as a vacation day (so they got fired) and I was brought on. Also, when I volunteered as a tutor for disadvantaged kids (Math) who would pull themselves away from their cellphones long enough to tell me to do it for them. Even back further to college it amazed me how many people would do just enough to squeak by with a C. That's life I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
mentioning Obama's citizenship faill
I think it mentions directly that people have been lied to by special interests to rave and rant about the lie that he was born in another country...are you one of those that believe that he was? Probably something for the political forums though, but certainly says a great deal.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:50 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I found this interesting article on MSN. While I don't think it's as dire as the writer would predict, I do think these are major areas of focus that need adjustment in the future to really achieve success. It's not something to generalize to everyone, that's very incorrect, but they are things that seem to have become more of an impact as I have grown older.

From the piece for the 4 problems, and a selected sentences that I think really helps define each (for condensing it):

1) We Don't Like to Work - Kids in Asia spend the summer studying math and science while American mall rats are texting each other about Britney and Miley. ... People need to invest more in their own future. Instead of buying stuff at the mall, spend the money on evening classes. Learn a language or skills you don't have.

2) Nobody Wants to Sacrifice - Somehow, $9 trillion worth of government debt will just become somebody else's problem. ... Obama's plan is to get a tiny portion of the American public -- the wealthy -- to pay higher taxes for the benefit of the majority. Hey, while we're at it, let's see if we can convince 1% of the population to bear the entire responsibility for fighting two open-ended wars that are supposedly in the interest of every American.

3) We're Uninformed - People who lack the sense to question Big Lies always end up in deep trouble. ... If we're too foolish or lazy to educate ourselves on health care, global warming, financial reform and other complicated issues, then we're signing ourselves over to special interests who see nothing wrong with plundering our national -- and personal -- wealth.

4) The ICulture - We may be chastened by the recession, but Americans still believe they deserve the best of everything -- the best job, the best health care, the best education for our kids. And we want it at a discount -- or better yet, free -- which brings us back to the usual disconnect between what we want and what we're willing to pay for.

4 problems that could sink America - Extra
Pure propaganda. Lets us examine this...

1. Not all kids are stupid. There are still smart people in this country. Try registering for a college algebra class at your local university; they are overflowing and you are lucky if you get a seat. We spend more money than any other country in the world on education, but our system still sucks. That is because of administration, not the young impressionable minds being fed into the machine. Kids trying to be smarter are working against the system that should be there to lift them up.

2. The middle class has to sacrifice for the deficit, not the poor 1% that got huge taxpayer bailouts, no bid contracts for our lovely wars, over the top tax breaks, ect ect. The same people that took it in the rear must sacrifice to make it better. Gee, I neve knew it was my patriotic duty to get cornholed. I'll feel so much better now when I start paying higher taxes.

3. Stay informed people...MSN will show you the one true path!!

4. Lower your expectations. You can't have what you want, that is only for the "special" people.

This article makes me sick. I'm gonna go change my homepage now...

Old 09-15-2009, 10:52 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I think the four problems that will sink this country are 1) Federal government, 2) State government, 3) regional government, 4) local government.
bingo! factor that in with rising unemployment:

The advance number of actual initial claims under state programs, unadjusted, totaled 460,516 in the week ending Sept. 5, an increase of 3,834 from the previous week. There were 336,733 initial claims in the comparable week in 2008.

couple rising unemployment, which is not being addressed, (instead we are now told that we are going to have a jobless recovery which would be pretty hard to do with a consumer based economy) with diminishing revenues and this is not going to end well. people still refuse to see it! government has to cut spending whether they want to or not. i see that pennsylvania is close to a budget meltdown because they can't agree on the budget and philly is ready to give out the pink slips.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:36 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I thought it was interesting, no big whoop. I do see broad social trends that are more evident now then they were when I was a kid that seem to match the broad things mentioned, not a majority of people and number 1 especially.

It's actually impacted me a few times where the person who was hired decided to take the first day as a vacation day (so they got fired) and I was brought on. Also, when I volunteered as a tutor for disadvantaged kids (Math) who would pull themselves away from their cellphones long enough to tell me to do it for them. Even back further to college it amazed me how many people would do just enough to squeak by with a C. That's life I guess.

I think it mentions directly that people have been lied to by special interests to rave and rant about the lie that he was born in another country...are you one of those that believe that he was? Probably something for the political forums though, but certainly says a great deal.
Ah, to answer your question, "No." I guess it says a great deal about absolutely nothing at all. Which is sort of like trying to impress people with your ability to unimpress.

Originally Posted by subsound
I found this interesting article on MSN. While I don't think it's as dire as the writer would predict, I do think these are major areas of focus that need adjustment in the future to really achieve success. It's not something to generalize to everyone, that's very incorrect, but they are things that seem to have become more of an impact as I have grown older.

From the piece for the 4 problems, and a selected sentences that I think really helps define each (for condensing it):

1) We Don't Like to Work - Kids in Asia spend the summer studying math and science while American mall rats are texting each other about Britney and Miley. ... People need to invest more in their own future. Instead of buying stuff at the mall, spend the money on evening classes. Learn a language or skills you don't have.

This why there are no Asian pop stars, TV stars, movie stars, or just entertainment stars. All Asian people sit and do calculus at night with friends, for fun. If they ever do speak of entertainers, it is behind closed doors, in hushed tones. (My wife is 42 and still is finding new Asian stars to get their latest TV series.)

2) Nobody Wants to Sacrifice - Somehow, $9 trillion worth of government debt will just become somebody else's problem. ... Obama's plan is to get a tiny portion of the American public -- the wealthy -- to pay higher taxes for the benefit of the majority. Hey, while we're at it, let's see if we can convince 1% of the population to bear the entire responsibility for fighting two open-ended wars that are supposedly in the interest of every American.

Exactly. There is not one person in the United States who is willing to sacrifice. Anything. At all. (The war is financed with taxes. I was unaware that only 1 percent of the U.S. population pays taxes. I am not rich, yet I pay taxes...every year. In fact, this budget deficit is so large that my children will be paying for it.
Whether I "want' to sacrifice or not, it doesn't really matter. I will.

http://www.arcent.army.mil/cflcc_today/2006/november/images/nov06_11/07_06.jpg (broken link)

3) We're Uninformed - People who lack the sense to question Big Lies always end up in deep trouble. ... If we're too foolish or lazy to educate ourselves on health care, global warming, financial reform and other complicated issues, then we're signing ourselves over to special interests who see nothing wrong with plundering our national -- and personal -- wealth.

Exactly. We all have the collective intelligence of a gnat. One gnat. 300 million people who have the mentality of a hummingbird who just sipped alcoholic nectar. We are all doomed.

4) The ICulture - We may be chastened by the recession, but Americans still believe they deserve the best of everything -- the best job, the best health care, the best education for our kids. And we want it at a discount -- or better yet, free -- which brings us back to the usual disconnect between what we want and what we're willing to pay for.

Personally, I don't know anyone that likes free stuff. In fact, the more it costs, the better people will like it. I think everything should cost everything. Then it will all make sense.

4 problems that could sink America - Extra

The article writer states the obvious and rails at it. "People want and like free/cheap stuff! This is WRONG!!!' He bring up Obama's citizenship for no real purpose, other than to imply that the failure of some people to reason coherently is going to sink America? Yes. Yes. In fact it will sink his election, as well. Except, it didn't. And it won't. It's just something to cram in the article. And say "We are stupid." He didn't say, "Some are stupid...and some are REALLY stupid."

He said, "We."

I find the lumping of everyone from the guy that bought a $400K home with $20K of yearly earnings to the dean of the MIT engineering department to be both absurd and personally offensive. I've sacrificed plenty, in my life. I'm sure others have as well.

I am glad you linked it, though. Believe it or not.

Last edited by 70Ford; 09-15-2009 at 11:56 AM..

Old 09-15-2009, 11:58 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

1. Not all kids are stupid. There are still smart people in this country. Try registering for a college algebra class at your local university; they are overflowing and you are lucky if you get a seat. We spend more money than any other country in the world on education, but our system still sucks. That is because of administration, not the young impressionable minds being fed into the machine. Kids trying to be smarter are working against the system that should be there to lift them up.
Often, the Algebra classes offered at local U.S. universities cover concepts taught to 8th/9th graders in foreign countries. The higher you go in Math/Science level, the more likey you are to encounter foreign-educated classmates. That IS a problem with the U.S. educational system.

But there is also a problem with the kids "being fed into the machine" due to the influences of our social and parenting culture. If there were parental/student market demand for higher-level H.S. math, there would be more such classes across the U.S. There isn't... The demand is for remedial math.

We're not talking about "stupidity", we're talking about "hardwork." There is often a disconnect in kids (agree with Subsound's post as I also have seen it many times when I tutored math) - They do not see the connection between hardwork and future success. They think success is for the elite, or the lucky, or the smart. "Hardwork" doesn't seem as important to them. These views are echoed in several of the other posts on this thread. Yet the majority of American success stories are still about self-made, hardworking people.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:06 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Often, the Algebra classes offered at local U.S. universities cover concepts taught to 8th/9th graders in foreign countries. The higher you go in Math/Science level, the more likey you are to encounter foreign-educated classmates. That IS a problem with the U.S. educational system.

But there is also a problem with the kids "being fed into the machine" due to the influences of our social and parenting culture. If there were parental/student market demand for higher-level H.S. math, there would be more such classes across the U.S. There isn't... The demand is for remedial math.

We're not talking about "stupidity", we're talking about "hardwork." There is often a disconnect in kids (agree with Subsound's post as I also have seen it many times when I tutored math) - They do not see the connection between hardwork and future success. They think success is for the elite, or the lucky, or the smart. "Hardwork" doesn't seem as important to them. These views are echoed in several of the other posts on this thread. Yet the majority of American success stories are still about self-made, hardworking people.
I agree with that. My son and daughter both go to Japanese and American school. One of the things he has mentioned before when doing his American school homework and racing through it (and I'm asking him, "Did you look at the answers, or something?" is "No, Dad. We've already had this in Japanese school."

When they graduate, they'll have the best of both educations.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:13 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post

This why there are no Asian pop stars, TV stars, movie stars, or just entertainment stars. All Asian people sit and do calculus at night with friends, for fun. If they ever do speak of entertainers, it is behind closed doors, in hushed tones. (My wife is 42 and still is finding new Asian stars to get their latest TV series.)
Most of the Asians I know have an amazing amount of musical and entertainment interests. From Yo-Yo Ma to groundbreaking Japanese animation and the proliferation of Karaoke (where you need to sing in front of others rather than whisper behind closed doors)... This may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it IS entertainment... The fact that there are not as many Asian Britney Spears stars does not bother me...

Old 09-15-2009, 12:19 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

This is a perfect illustration of how low the standards are in America. In most other developed countries, the majority of people learn "college algebra" in high school.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:21 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
If America sinks, every other economy in the world is gonna fall with us or be hurt badly.
Yes, that is the ultimate goal of the global elite. They want to sink the world's economies so they can present their "soultion" for a single currency and one world dictatorship (New World Order).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics