Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 06:42 PM

975 posts, read 1,754,772 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing it never occured to the folks panicing over the falling dollar that crap liike this would start happening. But, of course, for every action there are reactions.

Daimler May Shift Production To U.S.

"German carmaker Daimler AG is considering whether to move some production of its Mercedes-Benz C-Class models to Alabama from Germany, a newspaper reported Wednesday."

"That would allow the company to take advantage of lower labor and other costs and avoid swings in the value of the U.S. dollar against the euro, and would leave Bremen as the only German site producing the C-Class, the newspaper said."

"Still, Erich Klemm, the head of Daimler's employee council, told The Associated Press that moving production could cost about 3,000 jobs at Sindelfingen alone."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 07:21 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
"German carmaker Daimler AG is considering whether to move some production of its Mercedes-Benz C-Class models to Alabama from Germany, a newspaper reported Wednesday."
My 1st thought is it will be to a southern state. I wonder why a Michigan or NJ won't offer tax incentives to open a plant in the Northeast ?

Old 09-23-2009, 07:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
My 1st thought is it will be to a southern state. I wonder why a Michigan or NJ won't offer tax incentives to open a plant in the Northeast ?
They probably fear the possibility of unions to drive up costs and negate the savings.

Smart move though..they have right to work states picked out.

Toyota didn't do too bad with their choice and their workers seem to be paid fairly.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:24 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
Interesting....

I thought it was cheaper to do business overseas because of the cost businesses have to bear in the U.S. order to provide health care to their employees, among other things.

It's nice to hear about jobs coming to the United States.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:33 PM

754 posts, read 1,922,482 times
I have a family member and some friends working at the Vance, AL plant. The managment was very impressed with the work ethic of the employees. They have rules, like, show up to work, on time and do your job. The fact that they were impressed that these people did these things is kind of sad. When you come to an area where there were not many jobs and give people an opportunity to work, you probably get these results.

They pay very well with the salary capping at around $25.00 per hour for line workers and then overtime and bonuses. The 401k match is 100% on 6%. They also have excellent health benefits. I haven't heard that much from the inside of the other two car companies located in AL but, from public news sources, they seem to be pleased.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Interesting....

I thought it was cheaper to do business overseas because of the cost businesses have to bear in the U.S. order to provide health care to their employees, among other things.

It's due to the falling dollar, not the cost of healthcare. That topic belongs in politics forum.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:14 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,497,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Interesting....

Cheaper on the whole in Europe?

Not a chance.

Let's not pretend this is about Daimler being in the mood to be charitable, either!

Building about 80,000 C-class cars a year in Vance would save the automaker about $95 million (64 million euros) because the average hourly wage at the U.S. factory is about $44 (30 euros) compared with $74 (50 euros) in Germany, the newspaper said.

Mercedes May Build C-Class in U.S. - MSN Autos

Old 09-23-2009, 08:38 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
I don't get it either... Eastern Europe labor must be dirt cheap... there is something else I suspect... heck, even Mexico is cheaper... Does that mean the C-class will be cheaper? If so, I rather they move their S-class cars... lol

Old 09-23-2009, 08:41 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,673,674 times
The USA is Germany's Mexico...

Old 09-23-2009, 09:35 PM

Mercedes has an image to upkeep. I'm sure they took that into account when shopping for a country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics