Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2009, 05:22 PM

12 posts, read 43,976 times

Advertisements

I have received an offer for a job in USA (Chicago suburbs). I want to take up this job for some years. I need some help with taxes, as I understand that taxes take out a huge chunk of one's salary in the US. This will help me to calculate how I can live there and also save.

I have received the offer for 98,000$ per year. Online take home salary calculators give varied responses about take home salary. I will be getting payed bi-weekly.

Can anyone help me with an estimate please about how much I will be taking home? Or which salary calculator is actually accurate? I have a wife and a child who will be my dependents. I don't plan on investing in 401K.
thanks everyone [LEFT]

[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 05:49 AM

82 posts, read 346,054 times
It will vary. But in general income taxes in USA are less than in most parts of Europe. Your take home pay should actually be decent, at least in the near term, lol.

Health insurance is what you should be concerned about. Be sure to look into any plans offered by your employer and figure that cost in to the equation. Good luck in Chicago!

Old 09-28-2009, 10:21 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingal View Post
I have received an offer for a job in USA (Chicago suburbs). I want to take up this job for some years. I need some help with taxes, as I understand that taxes take out a huge chunk of one's salary in the US. This will help me to calculate how I can live there and also save.

I have received the offer for 98,000$ per year. Online take home salary calculators give varied responses about take home salary. I will be getting payed bi-weekly.

Can anyone help me with an estimate please about how much I will be taking home? Or which salary calculator is actually accurate? I have a wife and a child who will be my dependents. I don't plan on investing in 401K.
thanks everyone [LEFT]

[/LEFT]
Each paycheck will likely be $2200 - $2800 depending upon tax witholding options chosen. I do not know what differences to expect for someone not a citizen or being funded from another country but do not think it will be too much different.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:22 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Taxes will be about 28-33% of your gross wage, state tax is 3%, and figure 6% for social security. It is a good wage for the Chicago burbs.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:30 PM

83 posts, read 311,341 times
Input values into this calculator, PaycheckCity.com | Paycheck Calculator.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:33 PM

513 posts, read 1,581,514 times
I'm no expert, but I don't think you need to pay social security and Medicare, people who do your tax probably will treat you as everybody by default. But if you want, you really don't need to pay SS and medicare, you can save some serious cash by opting out.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:07 PM

83 posts, read 311,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatfastnoodle View Post
I'm no expert, but I don't think you need to pay social security and Medicare, people who do your tax probably will treat you as everybody by default. But if you want, you really don't need to pay SS and medicare, you can save some serious cash by opting out.
This is definitely news. Would appreciate some links. I know that you could transfer SS credits to home country (if your country is part of the treaty), but not sure if there are options for medicare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics