Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 06:26 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Forseeing globalization and the oncoming mediocrity of the US, I have been in and out of the country since the early 1990s (actually since 1986), with satisfying results, and I plan on doing the same over the next 20 years, taking advantage of the best of each country where I have some competitive advantage and trying to avoid the worst.

I have to jump through hoops to go to the bathroom, such gymnastics are not an insurmountable impediment to an international lifestyle either.

When there's a will there's a way.

Linguistic skills, cultivated early, computer skills, other marketable skills are certainly a big help. Money too (in different currencies), of course.

To be sure, if you do not have the right combination of the assets in bold, perhaps the barriers are indeed insurmountable: the sitting-duck taxpayer or welfare recipient, as the case may be.

Good luck!
This has pretty much been my strategy as well, and it will continue to be, although I've been going at it only since 2004 (I suspect I'm a bit younger )

I couldn't agree more about the items in bold - especially linguistic skills and competitive advantage. There are lots and lots of countries where, if you're willing to deal with the bureaucratic nonsense, a lot of money can be made and a pretty decent lifestyle achieved. South and Southeast Asia is really the up and coming region, although there will obviously continue to be volatility there as it continues to decouple from the U.S. economy. South America and large areas of the Former Soviet Union also have lots of potential.

Although I live in the U.S., I work very hard to make sure I can get as much of my business overseas as possible. The fact that I can undercut European businesses, for example, by not having to charge European clients VAT from the states and offering a lower overall price (expensive euros, even fewer in number than a European contractor might receive, still turn into more dollars than I could earn at home) really makes it advantageous to pursue overseas deals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 10:30 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Thanks... We currently own a business and have considered this.... Some of our manufacturers are even located in Canada.

But we're not of retirement age....Also, when we looked at the tax amounts compared to U.S...ouch! I guess we want our cake and eat it too! Is there a base number of Canadian employees you must hire? What about taxing on the trust account? Can we use a U.S. trust acct.?

I noticed, along the Canadian border (e.g. International Falls MN), there are some companies that switch production/operations back and forth between U.S./Canada depending on costs/economic climate. I'd like to learn more about how this works....
Sorry..I didn't mean to imply that this option is just for retirees. It's open to anyone who wants to invest in Canada's business infrastructure. Retirees just choose this option most often because it is the only door available to them since they are too old to go back to work on an H1.

The trust account business is in reference to Australia. That's a straight deposit into an Australian bank to get money circulating in the Australian economy. Far as the number of employees needed to get the Visa, a good Cannuck immigration paralegral will give you a free on-line or on-phone consultation to answer some of your general questions. They are easily found by Goggling Canadian immigration attorneys.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:24 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,238,812 times
Brazil

Brazil is a very up and coming nation economically and it has a tolerable climate too. Learning Portuguese is a drawback however.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Brazil
Learning Portuguese is a drawback however.
Why? Unless you're simply referring to the time it would take give your circumstances...

Language learning, if done properly, is one of the most enjoyable and fulfilling activities there is. And in today's economic climate, knowledge of a foreign language is definitely a skill that can be leveraged, especially when combined with other skills.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:15 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
I don't think they "let people in" to other countries to work very easily. They have economic problems of their own to deal with.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:49 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
Let me just say, I'm not thinking about it. I emotionally couldn't handle it! But, at this point, I can't say that I blame anyone for seriously considering or actually doing it.

If you believe the American economy is on the brink of collapse, is there a country you've considered moving to?
Nah. I'm going to stand my ground and do what the pilgrims did the winter of 1620. Hunker down and bear the misery (if it comes). Then start building/rebuilding from the bottom. Look we've been here before and survived (actually multiple times). And Yeah it going to be tough overall for a while but in the end while I think the U.S. may not be the only/most powerful nation in the world . I think we will still have a influence, power, and be a player in the economic world stage. Also while I think the standard of living may diminished a bit for the average American. I think that standard of living will still be pretty good and perhaps even better in the sense of people actually figuring out what is really important. Not the latest, greatest I-Phone and junk like that and all the things that having a lot of extra cash can buy. But friends, family and the community that is around them.
I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong......but......I'm here to stay.

Dílis go deo: The Irish Riviera/Marshfield, MA.

Last edited by baystater; 10-09-2009 at 08:57 AM..

Old 10-09-2009, 05:13 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,038 times
My parents LEFT Canada for the states when they retired...the taxes would have killed them.

Really, I'm a dual citizen and can work anywhere in the Commonwealth or the US and unless I was scoping out the differences in welfare programs, I'd stick to the States.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:14 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,038 times
As for immigration to Canada, unless you're of high net worth or have a very marketable skill, it isn't easy to immigrate.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:47 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,498,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Why? Unless you're simply referring to the time it would take give your circumstances...

Language learning, if done properly, is one of the most enjoyable and fulfilling activities there is. And in today's economic climate, knowledge of a foreign language is definitely a skill that can be leveraged, especially when combined with other skills.
Exactly.

Spanish is my other language of note, but I've communicated online with folks of the Italian and Portuguese persuasion with little problem at all.

What gets me is the folks who think Spanish is impossible to learn. I'd hate to see them try Russian (Cyrillic script) or some Asian language...

Old 10-11-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Exactly.

Spanish is my other language of note, but I've communicated online with folks of the Italian and Portuguese persuasion with little problem at all.

What gets me is the folks who think Spanish is impossible to learn. I'd hate to see them try Russian (Cyrillic script) or some Asian language...
Yes, Russian isn't the easiest by any means. I've been working on it for ten years now, use it professionally and personally on a daily basis, lived there for four years, yet I still don't feel like I really know it...

Spanish is definitely a language I want to learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics