U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: is the dollar dropping good for america?
yes, it is a good thing 7 23.33%
no, it is a bad thing 18 60.00%
i am not really sure whether it is good or bad 5 16.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-16-2009, 08:14 AM
 
12,869 posts, read 13,677,843 times
Reputation: 4453

Advertisements

some economists are saying that the dollar dropping will be good for america.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-16-2009, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Sinking in the Great Salt Lake
13,145 posts, read 20,355,583 times
Reputation: 14041
Are they the same economists that say debt is good too?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2009, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,068 posts, read 76,606,242 times
Reputation: 27642
Makes for cheap import/export but that's for JIT and for NOW with the instant gratification crowd.


In the long run it's not good. When a $1 is worth only $.10 what will it buy you ?
People want something of value..not something that will be worth less tomorrow.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2009, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Seattle
1,369 posts, read 3,047,665 times
Reputation: 1496
The dollar dropping is good until the point where the world starts abandoning it as the reserve currency and cutting their losses on t-bills. At that point it starts to be really damaging. Before that it's helpful for America because it reduces the trade deficit and increases exports and manufacturing activity.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2009, 10:53 AM
 
12,869 posts, read 13,677,843 times
Reputation: 4453
wouldn't that be a better situation if we actually were a manufacturing country? since we shipped our manufacturing to other countries, how is that beneficial to the US?

here is another great report from nathan's economic edge:
Nathan's Economic Edge: Treasury International Capital (TIC) Data for August – WEAK…
here is a snippet:
So, in the entire month of August we totaled $10 billion in inflows, yet we were forced to “sell” (print) more than $100 billion PER WEEK! Somebody’s not very good at math…

And this week the Treasury didn’t even offer up their report in .pdf form, lol, perhaps they are tired of seeing people like me post them on their web sites! Not to worry, technology is terrific and we have other ways of showing the data to you, isn’t the internet great!?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2009, 10:53 AM
 
Location: NC
1,672 posts, read 1,604,531 times
Reputation: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Makes for cheap import/export but that's for JIT and for NOW with the instant gratification crowd.


In the long run it's not good. When a $1 is worth only $.10 what will it buy you ?
People want something of value..not something that will be worth less tomorrow.
I think you mean just cheap exports. Imports would be the opposite.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2009, 11:01 AM
 
48,508 posts, read 88,422,285 times
Reputation: 18187
Its a global econmy . Bad for consumers as it make items imported high including raw materials.For business its good if your in the export end as it makes our products cheaper.If inflation hits like the 70's recession both are going to take a major hit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2009, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,068 posts, read 76,606,242 times
Reputation: 27642
All the wishing in the world will not make mfg come back to the US.
That started 30 years ago and has only escalated as the new powerhouses have built up their infrastructure and educated their people.

Your right maabus..I should not have put "imports" in my statement.

The cost of our goods will go up dramatically.
Our exports are mostly raw commodities which in turn get processed overseas and then sent back to us to buy as finished goods.
Our food that is made here depends on imported ingredients so we're not in any good shape there either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2009, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Seattle
1,369 posts, read 3,047,665 times
Reputation: 1496
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
All the wishing in the world will not make mfg come back to the US.
That started 30 years ago and has only escalated as the new powerhouses have built up their infrastructure and educated their people.

Your right maabus..I should not have put "imports" in my statement.

The cost of our goods will go up dramatically.
Our exports are mostly raw commodities which in turn get processed overseas and then sent back to us to buy as finished goods.
Our food that is made here depends on imported ingredients so we're not in any good shape there either.
This is not true at all. The USA is still the #1 country in the world in terms of manufacturing output (http://investing.curiouscatblog.net/...tries-in-2007/). Also if the dollar drops it will cause the price of oil to increase which makes it less feasible to ship goods across the sea from the USA to China and back from China to the USA, and increases the economics of producing goods close to the consumption site. The dollar dropping has a "double effect" of helping US exports and domestic manufacturing: it increases transportation costs and it increases the cost of goods produced outside of the US.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2009, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,068 posts, read 76,606,242 times
Reputation: 27642
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
This is not true at all. The USA is still the #1 country in the world in terms of manufacturing output (http://investing.curiouscatblog.net/...tries-in-2007/). Also if the dollar drops it will cause the price of oil to increase which makes it less feasible to ship goods across the sea from the USA to China and back from China to the USA, and increases the economics of producing goods close to the consumption site. The dollar dropping has a "double effect" of helping US exports and domestic manufacturing: it increases transportation costs and it increases the cost of goods produced outside of the US.
Interesting that your link site doesn't have 2008 or anything for 2009.
Offshoring of mfg has escalated during that time. I did a bit of googling myself and didn't come up with anything substantial.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top