Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 06:24 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times

Advertisements

S&P 500 Overvalued by 40%, Set to Fall, Smithers Says (Update5) - Bloomberg.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 06:32 PM

975 posts, read 1,755,198 times
Who cares what this dimwit says?

Old 10-26-2009, 06:35 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
Who cares what this dimwit says?
he gives some facts and his hypothesis, do you care to give yours? or do you just base your arguments on calling other people "dimwits"?

Old 10-26-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
he gives some facts and his hypothesis, do you care to give yours? or do you just base your arguments on calling other people "dimwits"?
I base my argument on knowledge gained from feeding my family from trading stocks for 9 years, which is more than the idiot in your post can say who would probably starve to death if he had to rely on his own advice.

And no I don't care to give my hypothesis because it doesn't matter any more than his does, nor do I claim to have predictive powers or a crystal ball lying around.

edit: I guess Andrew doesn't have a crystal ball either. This was him in Feb:
We remain bearish about the outlook for equities for 2009, mainly because we see the demand for shares by companies falling and their supply rising as both financial and non-financial companies change from buying shares to issuing them.

Better write another book Andy. I don't think this stock thing is going to cover the rent

Last edited by Traderx; 10-26-2009 at 06:51 PM..

Old 10-26-2009, 07:45 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
I base my argument on knowledge gained from feeding my family from trading stocks for 9 years, which is more than the idiot in your post can say who would probably starve to death if he had to rely on his own advice.
We finally agree on something.. The mans a dimwit..

Old 10-26-2009, 08:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Well traders and investors are different types of people.

You traders are in and out and don't look at a company's fundamentals all that much.
Investors do a lot more in depth study especially as they are investing over time be it short, medium,long.

I'm an investor, not a trader so I do study the reports and ratios. Over the past few months prices shot up due to more trading than investing IMO.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well traders and investors are different types of people.

You traders are in and out and don't look at a company's fundamentals all that much.
Investors do a lot more in depth study especially as they are investing over time be it short, medium,long.

I'm an investor, not a trader so I do study the reports and ratios. Over the past few months prices shot up due to more trading than investing IMO.
I can only speak for myself but I am intimately familar with the fundamentals of about 500 companies and fairly familar with another 200-300. I don't know how anyone can trade without knowing what they're trading, but I'm sure some do fine with just t/a.

As for why stocks have gone up I'm not smart enough to say.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:48 PM

209 posts, read 585,076 times
Quote:
As for why stocks have gone up I'm not smart enough to say.
Well here is a start:

Interest Rates are low - cash is giving you a negative rate of return compared with inflation (ie: you are forced to speculate or lose purchasing power)

The experts and media said so - remember have of markets are psychology and since march they have called for a recovery

Banks are paying with free money - if you look at where these magical profits from the banks are coming from, its their trading and fixed income departments

Old 10-26-2009, 11:41 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,331,294 times
What? Is the sky falling? Again? I thought that it fell last February?? Hmmm, good thing that I stayed invested through last spring's sky-is-falling episode. Maybe I'll stay fully invested through this one also.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:52 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
Ah, another love of the doom and gloom. It will get airplay till things have really picked up and until the next recession, where the people who predict it will say I told you so again. Of course everyone who is scared out of investing during the recovery will realize they missed the boat and try to invest when things are high and then ride the crash...reinforcing their own view that the market sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics