Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 10:44 PM

134 posts, read 342,970 times

Advertisements

How do I get them to stop mailing these to me? I'm going to be moving soon and I thought the next tenent could possibly take advantage of these ads and possibly steal my identity.

Isn't there a way to put your name on a list that prevents these companies from sending you applications through the mail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 10:02 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Good idea:

Unsolicited Mail, Telemarketing and Email: Where to Go to “Just Say No”

Old 10-29-2009, 10:13 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
I paid Experian $10 to put a freeze on my account. I can't even apply for credit without paying $10 to temporarily lift the freeze for the creditor. In return, I get no mail from the credit card companies unless I do business with them already. I think it's great that way.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:28 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTess View Post
How do I get them to stop mailing these to me? I'm going to be moving soon and I thought the next tenent could possibly take advantage of these ads and possibly steal my identity.

Isn't there a way to put your name on a list that prevents these companies from sending you applications through the mail?
Here ya go!

"Opt Out Of Pre-approved
Credit Card Offers

You have the ability to opt out of credit card offers that you receive in the mail or over the phone. If it seems like your mail box is over-flowing with offers of pre-approved credit, you probably resent the excess mail and worry about someone stealing the information. If you would like to put a stop to all the offers, you can use the ideas below.
There are many ways to opt out of credit card offers, such as:

Calling 1-888-5-OPTOUT (1-888-567-8688) to have your name removed from direct marketing lists. You can do this online at www.OptOutPreScreen.com , which is the official consumer credit reporting industry opt-out website. "

Old 10-29-2009, 11:54 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
I've signed up for the opt-out many times, and it doesn't seem to stop the flow of pre-approved solicitations from outfits I don't do business with.

A freeze on one's credit report and with your bank seems to be the most effective, but even that hasn't stopped all the offers.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:59 PM

835 posts, read 3,978,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I've signed up for the opt-out many times, and it doesn't seem to stop the flow of pre-approved solicitations from outfits I don't do business with.

A freeze on one's credit report and with your bank seems to be the most effective, but even that hasn't stopped all the offers.

It may not appear that you do business with the companies mailing you offers but you may do business with an affiliated company which triggers these offers.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:35 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2jules View Post
It may not appear that you do business with the companies mailing you offers but you may do business with an affiliated company which triggers these offers.
I well understand the connections between companies that do this, so I don't go for rebates or similar programs where I have to supply consumer information to a company, or make purchases where I agree to receive "offers of interest", or sign up for warranties on merchandise.

Nor do I use any consumer credit lines, as I do business strictly with my bank and use a couple of credit cards that are dedicated to various personal and business functions. I don't have any mortgages, car loans, or any other outside banking relationship.

What's particularly grating about some of these pre-approved offers is the incredibly high interest rates and income protection plans they've got. I don't need to take advantage of their offers.

Similarly, I get unsolicited "Hot deals" sales calls from all kinds of salespeople and touts for many investment schemes, stock broker tips, and so forth. No, I'm not interested and interrupt the fast-talkers to tell them right up front that if their call is to solicit an investment, I'm not interested. I always tell them to put me on their "do not call list", too.

Despite repeatedly signing up for the federal "do not contact" lists for all my phone lines, I am continuously on various sales contact lists, and am contacted in violation of those regulations. I don't answer my phone anymore with "out of area" or "anonymous" or similar identity blocking identification, I let those roll into my voice mailbox (where they almost always result in a hang-up). Those folks who do get through to me, I tell them how many unsolicited investment calls I've received in the last few months ... it's usually about 10-15 per month, sometimes more. The worst are the ones that don't realize the time zone difference between the Eastern USA and the Rocky Mountain area ... and call me at 5-6AM. A**holes .... You bet that I'm just dying to do business with inconsiderate bas*ards like that .... I've turned off my FAX machine so that the only time I receive them is when I'm personally expecting an incoming FAX and I turn on the receive function for a specific incoming phone number when it rings through. That's saved me a couple hundred faxes per year since I started doing that ... even though all but a few of the faxes coming through were in violation of federal do not contact lists.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:04 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,376,131 times
Hmmm, wondering if I may borrow that fresh cc for 6 months

Old 10-29-2009, 11:28 PM

209 posts, read 585,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTess View Post

Now fill it out and see if you get an acceptance letter and then if you do look at the 20-30% rate your offered. I know leg-breakers that give better terms than that.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:22 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Very simple, forward your mail to your new address. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics