U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Change in 2009 net worth
Net worth decreaced 5 12.82%
Net worth increased $0 to $5000 6 15.38%
Net worth increased $5000 to $10,000 5 12.82%
Net worth increased $10,000 to $25,000 7 17.95%
Net worth increased $25,000 to $50,000 4 10.26%
Net worth increased more than $50,000 12 30.77%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 07:54 AM

69,360 posts, read 58,835,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
What did you guys do, pull your money out at the bottom??
You'd be surprised what people do, fear will make people do a lot of stupid stuff..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 08:17 AM

10,494 posts, read 24,584,681 times
This thread is a joke. So far, 80% have increased there net worth, and 20% have lost in the worst recession in history. Not only that, 24% have made over $50,000? Give me a freakin' break. The internet is a funny thing, everyone can lie to make themselves look good LOL.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
This thread is a joke. So far, 80% have increased there net worth, and 20% have lost in the worst recession in history. Not only that, 24% have made over $50,000? Give me a freakin' break. The internet is a funny thing, everyone can lie to make themselves look good LOL.
You do understand that its EASY to increase your networth, just as easy as it is to decrease it..

Save more than you spend...

Old 10-31-2009, 08:46 AM

9,366 posts, read 23,636,545 times
My American Funds account increased for the first time in more than a year prior and my home value has increased by 12k, but still has not reached it's former appraised value, which declined considerably in 2007 & 2008.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:15 AM

6,430 posts, read 9,399,892 times
My net worth took a huge hit in 2008, but it's up a few hundred thousand in 2009 so far. Still just a fraction of the 2008 losses, though.

The gains, like the lossses, are mostly paper, and could easily be reversed.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You do understand that its EASY to increase your networth, just as easy as it is to decrease it..

Save more than you spend...
Save more than you spend when you lost your job, you unemployment has run out, and are now living on your savings? I don't think so. Or, you used to make $50,000 a year, but now are having to survive on $20,000 a year because of the job market? Recently, everyday on the local news they have an "economy in crisis" segment. I guess they have been wrong. The recent numbers have come out here in Vegas, and the unemployment rate is now sitting at a whopping 13.9%. However, 80% have increased their net worth this year, according to this thread. Give me a break!

Old 10-31-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Save more than you spend when you lost your job, you unemployment has run out, and are now living on your savings? I don't think so. Or, you used to make $50,000 a year, but now are having to survive on $20,000 a year because of the job market? Recently, everyday on the local news they have an "economy in crisis" segment. I guess they have been wrong. The recent numbers have come out here in Vegas, and the unemployment rate is now sitting at a whopping 13.9%. However, 80% have increased their net worth this year, according to this thread. Give me a break!
If you think we're all in your boat your sadly mistaken. Some of us crimped and saved during the "good" economy so we are able to invest when the timing is right.

Guess what, the timing is right. I've bought homes for $.50 on the dollar, office buildings for $.70 (with AAA credit tenants in place (primarily government tenants)), my internet company is doing fabulous due to a weak dollar and exports are through the roof, and please dont give me the reason to brag about my stock market returns this year.

Why would it surprise you that those who follow a "business/finance/investing" thread do better than those who dont? I would presume those here actually would have better returns than "average" because as you've stated, average is living off their bank accounts where many here I would presume live off investments. All of this ignores that even with a whopping 13.9% unemployment rate, this means 86.1% have continued to be employed and able to benefit from the minority who is hurting.

The problem is the $ figure in the poll, I can buy one building for $.70 on the dollar and easy make $50K in equity profits. Sure I'll have to wait a few years to collect, but I'll be collecting rent in the meantime.

Best response I can give you is, if your in the minority (i.e. unemployed), it sucks to be you, but dont presume that the majority are in the minorities position.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:20 AM

975 posts, read 1,635,740 times
Does it really matter how anyone else is doing?

I mean if everyone is making bookoo dollars and I'm getting killed does that make any difference to me and my situation? Does that fact I'm doing bad mean everyone must be? Of course not and the same works in reverse.

I suspect people in general are less likely to say they're doing bad but that may be for a lot of reasons. And regardless of how good or bad things are overall there will always be those who make wild claims of success.

I won't answer this poll or anyone who inquires (including my wife) with anything more than I can't complain because everytime I open my mouth about how much I'm making I seem to get clown ****ed within a matter of days.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:53 AM

9,324 posts, read 24,814,405 times
Higher silver and gold prices have been a huge boost for my net worth. Yes I have lost real estate values but that is a wonderful thing. Lower property values mean lower property taxes, because real estate is a liability until you sell it. Precious metals are the best investment for a bubble economy as we have had for a while now. I also admit to buying some risky financials and unloading them last month. I too look forward to another crash, but that would be too good to be true. What I really want to do is wait for a good deal on some farmland.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Best response I can give you is, if your in the minority (i.e. unemployed), it sucks to be you, but dont presume that the majority are in the minorities position.
I have been employed through the whole recession, and my net worth has increased around $3,000 this year. However, I did that strictly from my job as I have no investments. I got absolutely killed trading forex 3 years back, so I do not dare invest anymore. All I was getting at is something is amiss. From reading this thread, it appears we must have the greatest congress in history if the economy has turned around this much in only a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics