U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-11-2009, 07:28 AM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,797 posts, read 6,767,690 times
Reputation: 5185

Advertisements

FDIC Disowns Geithner Embarrassment | Financial Services | Financial Articles & Investing News | TheStreet.com

Government ineptness knows no limits. That in a nutshell is why the programs designed by government to rescue the economy are doomed to failure.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-11-2009, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Apple Valley Calif
7,474 posts, read 21,587,437 times
Reputation: 5651
In answer to the question, "Why Government programs do not work" is simple.
They are run by the Government...!
Pray to God President Pelosi doesn't get her way with healthcare, or learn to speak Chinese...........
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,067 posts, read 78,529,358 times
Reputation: 27662
The government does not have to worry about losses or going over budget.
They operate like they have a blank check.

How well does that go over in private business ??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Vermont
11,207 posts, read 12,809,571 times
Reputation: 16812
Why government programs do not work
You are so right.

For instance, my two sons went to government-run schools through high school and my older son barely learned enough to get a full scholarship through college. Every day I sit around my office just wondering if I will receive the correspondence I need for work, since the government has never been able to devise a system to delivers letters, bills, payments, and other communications among businesses and residences.

I went on a vacation recently and as far as I can tell it was a total matter of guesswork whether another plane would be trying to land on the same runway as my plane. It really made me wish there was some private or government system to take care of that kind of thing.

And just today, even though it was a holiday for me, I was almost paralyzed at home. I had to drive somewhere, and it was just a lucky thing that somebody--totally unconnected to the government, I'm sure--had thought to lay a strip of pavement right outside my driveway that was able to take me exactly where I wanted to go.

Yup, there's nothing that government can do that makes any positive contribution to the economic and social life of the country.

You are so right.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,067 posts, read 78,529,358 times
Reputation: 27662
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Why government programs do not work
You are so right.

For instance, my two sons went to government-run schools through high school and my older son barely learned enough to get a full scholarship through college. Every day I sit around my office just wondering if I will receive the correspondence I need for work, since the government has never been able to devise a system to delivers letters, bills, payments, and other communications among businesses and residences.

I went on a vacation recently and as far as I can tell it was a total matter of guesswork whether another plane would be trying to land on the same runway as my plane. It really made me wish there was some private or government system to take care of that kind of thing.

And just today, even though it was a holiday for me, I was almost paralyzed at home. I had to drive somewhere, and it was just a lucky thing that somebody--totally unconnected to the government, I'm sure--had thought to lay a strip of pavement right outside my driveway that was able to take me exactly where I wanted to go.

Yup, there's nothing that government can do that makes any positive contribution to the economic and social life of the country.

You are so right.
In case you missed it, the topic in the OP is about the government programs put in place to "rescue the economy".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 06:27 PM
 
12,869 posts, read 13,947,538 times
Reputation: 4453
here is another scary government program being trotted out:
Fannie to Rent to Owners in Foreclosure - WSJ.com

so what will happen if people don't pay their rent? will government, i.e., the taxpayers, have to eat further losses? in case they haven't been paying attention, we have rising unemployment and falling tax revenue.

i found it interesting that fannie mae has acquired 57,000 properties during the first half of the year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Vermont
11,207 posts, read 12,809,571 times
Reputation: 16812
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
In case you missed it, the topic in the OP is about the government programs put in place to "rescue the economy".
1. I noticed the title of the thread, which perhaps you did not.

2. I specifically referred to government programs that make a major contribution to the workings of the economy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 10:15 AM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,797 posts, read 6,767,690 times
Reputation: 5185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Why government programs do not work
You are so right.

For instance, my two sons went to government-run schools through high school and my older son barely learned enough to get a full scholarship through college. Every day I sit around my office just wondering if I will receive the correspondence I need for work, since the government has never been able to devise a system to delivers letters, bills, payments, and other communications among businesses and residences.

I went on a vacation recently and as far as I can tell it was a total matter of guesswork whether another plane would be trying to land on the same runway as my plane. It really made me wish there was some private or government system to take care of that kind of thing.

And just today, even though it was a holiday for me, I was almost paralyzed at home. I had to drive somewhere, and it was just a lucky thing that somebody--totally unconnected to the government, I'm sure--had thought to lay a strip of pavement right outside my driveway that was able to take me exactly where I wanted to go.

Yup, there's nothing that government can do that makes any positive contribution to the economic and social life of the country.

You are so right.
Lets see, the post office cannot compete with FedEx and UPS even with government subsidies. The Postal Service lost $2.8 billion last year, and will lose even more this year . They have constant budget problems, and there employees are so contented that when someone goes crazy and shoots up their workplace, it known commonly as going "postal". The highway system, at least in So. Cal. is a joke, which anyone who is trying to get to or from work in the mornings or evenings can attest. The construction process is rife with corruption, and the freeways are undersized and obsolete as soon as they are completed. Air Traffic Control? I can find you countless incidences of close calls, and there have more mid air collisions than anyone in their right mind would call justifiable. "Since 1993 the number of runway incursions has increased over 70%. The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) considers this increase in runway incursions one of the ten most significant safety issues facing air travelers today".It also worked amazingly well in 9/11 when they were unable to locate the planes at all. And if you are trying to hold the public school system up as an example of success, then you must truly believe failure and success are synonymous. The United States has some of the lowest test scores of any of the developed nations. And test scores have been declining not improving. http://4brevard.com/choice/internati...est-scores.htm
By the way we are now 12 TRILLION dollars in debt for all these wonderful services, perhaps your high school graduates could do the math on that, and figure how much their share of that debt is. Any more examples of government competency? LOL

Last edited by jimhcom; 11-12-2009 at 10:53 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 02:38 PM
 
823 posts, read 2,076,368 times
Reputation: 424
I am confused. Which government program failed here? The FDIC is not a government program.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 06:37 PM
 
2,788 posts, read 5,025,079 times
Reputation: 2245
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
here is another scary government program being trotted out:
Fannie to Rent to Owners in Foreclosure - WSJ.com

so what will happen if people don't pay their rent? will government, i.e., the taxpayers, have to eat further losses? in case they haven't been paying attention, we have rising unemployment and falling tax revenue.

i found it interesting that fannie mae has acquired 57,000 properties during the first half of the year.
Not only that but the fact that the government actually owns property is scary enough...and to be renting them to people is completely wrong. And just wait when those people can't pay their rent. Or even if they can buy the property back after renting for awhile, between the waste of taxpayer money and the fact these people will still be living in a property where they owe more than its worth is disgusting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top