Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: are you going shopping on black friday?
yes, i like to look for bargains 20 16.26%
no, it is too hectic 78 63.41%
no holiday shopping this year / already done shopping 25 20.33%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 12:17 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
The most major toy my son wanted was on sale for half off (yep, a GENUINE sale). ToysRUs opened at midnight. My dh went and arrived at 11:55pm. There were 1500 people in line in front of him. Between the line to get in and the checkout lane, he was there for an hour.

Worth $50? You betcha!

We would've bought him this toy anyway, so we ACTUALLY saved.

Last weekend, we were driving past the mall. I had a quick errand near by and we were planning on cutting through the parking lot. It was just as insane this year as it is every other year.

Economy in the toilet? People losing their homes? Folks "can't afford" to give $2 to school fundraisers?

BS, media hype, self-caused - or a little from each? Either way, I think our family has given enough this year. I'm tired of sending in extra cans of food because no one else in the school can "afford" to give.
i don't think the economy is that good overall:
The economy grew at a 2.8 percent pace last quarter, as the recovery got off to a slower start than first thought.

The Commerce Department's new reading on gross domestic product wasn't as energetic as the 3.5 percent growth rate for the July-September period estimated just a month ago.

The main factors behind the downgrade: consumers didn't spend as much, commercial construction was weaker and the nation's trade deficit was more of a drag on growth. Businesses also trimmed more of their stockpiles, another restraining factor.

i will say that texas seems to have been given a reprieve from a lot of the problems facing the rest of the country. i regularly track housing prices and texas really hasn't dropped the way that many other areas have so i guess texans are doing something right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 12:23 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
I would've bought the whole "Texas was saved from the economy troubles" line if not for the fact that even here, everyone uses it as an excuse. (Hence, my $2 example)

Several of our neighbors have been out hanging Christmas lights this past week, right along with us. Including those who just "can't afford" to help out the school canned food drive or "couldn't afford" to give out candy at Halloween.

Can't afford to do for others, but spend extra $$ on an electric bill? Sure! No problem.

I think I'm just irritated this morning. One of the neighbors came over last night and COMPLAINED because we have "too many" decorations as he has always placed 1st in the neighborhood contest before this year, and now he "has to" buy more lights this year, it's "our fault" and he really just can't afford it because he's been out of work for the past 10 months.

Umm... then DON'T do it!

Old 11-27-2009, 12:28 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
Black Friday deals aren't nearly as good anymore, just another one of the biweekly shopping "Sales" everyone seems to have. Especially when you have to fight for them anymore, it's like a melee most places.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:39 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Black Friday deals aren't nearly as good anymore, just another one of the biweekly shopping "Sales" everyone seems to have. Especially when you have to fight for them anymore, it's like a melee most places.
Yep, had a woman ARRESTED at a Wal-Mart here in COLO SPGS from an argument over a pair of pajama's. Tis the season!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:28 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,481,994 times
It's just after 12:00 noon my local time, and I have finished. Started at Oh-dark-hundred hours and the big mall was already crowded with the over-achievers.

Got my shopping done, as I am a tall person, I need to shop from my sizes early or they are gone.

Noticed something though, each and every thing I bought from the 5 stores I visited, NONE, NADDA, ZIP, ZERO were made in USA..... Oh, wait, should I have posted this comment in the Unemployment forum?

Now its time for turkey sandwiches with Cranberry sauce on the side.

Phil

Old 11-27-2009, 02:23 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Another good thread on Black Friday in the P&OC forum, more general in nature than this thread.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:27 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
I went to Target and Wal-mart early this morning out of curiosity (usually I shop later in the day, I'm going to go out again shortly). Wal-mart was horrible, at 6 am there was still a long line to get into the store and I did not bother. It was odd really, I saw people walking out with the stupidest stuff. Such as cheap vacuums. Who gets up early, waits in line, etc to save $10~$20 on a vacuum? There were no lines at Target and they still had many of their "doorbusters" in stock, but they did not have any of the really good stuff left at around 6:30am.

I won't bother going in the morning again, it is pretty much a scam. But it was worth some good laughs!

Old 11-27-2009, 03:38 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Yep, had a woman ARRESTED at a Wal-Mart here in COLO SPGS from an argument over a pair of pajama's. Tis the season!
hahah awesome!

Old 11-27-2009, 05:32 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Another good thread on Black Friday in the P&OC forum, more general in nature than this thread.

Why does every thread end up nasty there???????????????????????

Old 11-27-2009, 06:13 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
i just got back from dinner out and the best buy parking lot was packed. i still haven't seen any knock your socks off deals advertised. has anyone had a really great buy?

i am almost done shopping but was hoping to see an iphone sale, but guess they are not going any lower now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics