Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: are you going shopping on black friday?
yes, i like to look for bargains 20 16.26%
no, it is too hectic 78 63.41%
no holiday shopping this year / already done shopping 25 20.33%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 09:37 AM

921 posts, read 1,132,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
The only place I'm going on Black Friday is the Goodwill store. Everything there will be 50% off and most of the crowds will be at places like Old Navy, etc, thinking they're getting a deal at 20% off.
That's a good idea!

I may do the same thing, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 09:38 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
i was in a goodwill recently and was surprised at the amount of new merchandise available, including a lot of clothing which still had tags. there was a lot of old navy, abercrombie, hollister, and target merchandise. the clerk said that they buy the target merchandise to sell, but i never heard of that before.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:57 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i was in a goodwill recently and was surprised at the amount of new merchandise available, including a lot of clothing which still had tags. there was a lot of old navy, abercrombie, hollister, and target merchandise. the clerk said that they buy the target merchandise to sell, but i never heard of that before.
That is interesting. Could be that Target auctions off their unsalable goods and Goodwill bids on various lots of merchandise in order to stock their stores with items to attract shoppers. The goods could be second-quality or out of style or season too. IIRC this sort of thing is common in retailing. Stores don't always have room to keep outdated stuff on the racks and most no longer have back rooms of any size to store items; some don't want to pay the labor costs of marking stuff down either; so they wholesale it to second hand dealers. I see quite a few items on ebay marked NWT (New With Tag) but always suspected it was stolen merchandise (no way of knowing for sure).

It might also be a case of stores donating items to Goodwill to get a tax break for charitable deductions, which may equal or exceed what they could get for the outdated items at auction.

Clothing retailers are especially prone to seasonal changes and rigid timeframes to turnover the merchandise. The urgency of time.

I've been reading business magazines and related newspapers for over 40 years; the inner workings of the business world would surprise many people "if they only knew" the rest of the story.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:06 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Ill be there regardless of whether or not I get anything. I go every year, its a tradition.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
Look carefully at most of the flyers online. The fine print at the bottom limits most item to two or five per store. No rain checks. Just a gimmick.

Most items have dozens or even hundreds available. The only things that have a handful are really high dollar things, like your 60 inch flat screens or some of your computer systems.

Last year at Walmart, they had an Emerson 32' LCD for like $299, and they literally had hundreds of them stacked up, and every other person in the store had one.

I just went to Best Buy the other day, and they had pallets out for some of the Black Friday Items, and there was atleast 10 of each, even the 50 inch plasmas. The smaller TVs and Blue Ray players had dozens.

In fact, in about 12 years of Black Fridays, I have never once not been able to get exactly what I came for. Hell, most of the stores have so many, you can stroll in around noon and still find plenty of most things in their Black Friday ads.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post

I have first hand knowledge that many retailers actually flat out donate old merchandise to places like goodwill. If it doesnt get donated, it usually gets thrown out and written off as a loss.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:12 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
people are already lining up at best buy for the sale. the reporter said that some had been there up to 24 hours. what can you say? i certainly don't have that kind of patience or free time.

happy thanksgiving, everybody!

Old 11-26-2009, 08:04 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
it could be just the early bird specials compressing the activity into 1 or 2 hours, or it could be simply b.s. the local tv news did the same thing last year. they were touting long lines and crowds, while in the background, the viewer could plainly see empty spaces in the parking lots and light foot traffic in the mall.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:11 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
I probably won't be going to any major retail places but I will be doing some kind of shopping like any other day.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:59 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,217,528 times
There is very little money earned on investments nowadays, the money you save, is money earned. I will make do, my television is 8 years old, it still works, it is not a flat screen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics