Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 06:27 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,856,080 times

Advertisements

Washington's Blog
The US public will be “outraged” by Citibank’s $8 billion loan to Dubai just six weeks after the bank was bailed out, US House of Representatives domestic policy subcommittee chair-man has said. Dennis Kucinich commented on the Dubai loan and other US banking investments as a congressional panel released a report that strongly questioned Citibank’s actions. The report, shown to 7DAYS, cites the Dubai loan as the largest of the “questionable transactions” by banks after the US government bailed them out. It notes that the loan to Dubai’s public sector came on December 14, just six weeks after the US government gave Citibank a $25 billion bail-out.

The report quotes Win Bischoof, then chairman of Citi, as saying the bank agreed to the Dubai loan because “we continue to place the Gulf region among our globally most significant markets”. The report also questions JP Morgan’s $1 billion investment in India and Bank of America’s $7 billion investment in China. “When the American people find that their tax dollars, which were supposed to be used to get us out of this financial crisis, are instead being used to ship jobs and investments overseas, there will be outrage,” Kucinich said. The report notes the loans were not illegal and that it is not known if they were directly funded by bail-out funds. A Citibank official was quoted at the time as saying the $8 billion came from the bank’s own funds and third party sources. The report was released as the committee prepares to question banking chiefs about their use of bail-out funds.

so basically taxpayers bail out citibank, which turns around and gives it to dubai, which will now potentially go into default.

is there any wonder why we need a federal reserve audit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 12:42 PM

975 posts, read 1,748,880 times
The public will be outraged?..LOL!

Yeah right. 90% of the public won't ever know and of the 10% who do 99% have better things to do than be outraged over something they can't change.

And how would an audit help this? So the Fed gave Citi money, well we knew that, duh! And Citi makes loans all over the world, something other US banks don't do much of by the way, and we knew that too. Nothing would have changed.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:07 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,061,136 times
After publicizing the loan, some proclaimed "Sure, they'll lend to Dubai, but lend to small business or make loan modifications here in the U.S. and it's like one more deal and they're living hand to mouth!".

But seriously, the Dubai loan was supposed to be one of the safest they could do. I mean just days before calling for the standstill they raised 4 billion dollars.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:39 PM

30,855 posts, read 36,754,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
Washington's Blog
The US public will be “outraged” by Citibank’s $8 billion loan to Dubai just six weeks after the bank was bailed out, US House of Representatives domestic policy subcommittee chair-man has said. Dennis Kucinich commented on the Dubai loan and other US banking investments as a congressional panel released a report that strongly questioned Citibank’s actions. The report, shown to 7DAYS, cites the Dubai loan as the largest of the “questionable transactions” by banks after the US government bailed them out. It notes that the loan to Dubai’s public sector came on December 14, just six weeks after the US government gave Citibank a $25 billion bail-out.

The report quotes Win Bischoof, then chairman of Citi, as saying the bank agreed to the Dubai loan because “we continue to place the Gulf region among our globally most significant markets”. The report also questions JP Morgan’s $1 billion investment in India and Bank of America’s $7 billion investment in China. “When the American people find that their tax dollars, which were supposed to be used to get us out of this financial crisis, are instead being used to ship jobs and investments overseas, there will be outrage,” Kucinich said. The report notes the loans were not illegal and that it is not known if they were directly funded by bail-out funds. A Citibank official was quoted at the time as saying the $8 billion came from the bank’s own funds and third party sources. The report was released as the committee prepares to question banking chiefs about their use of bail-out funds.

so basically taxpayers bail out citibank, which turns around and gives it to dubai, which will now potentially go into default.

is there any wonder why we need a federal reserve audit?
I just read the same or a similar article. I think at this point it's pretty much inevitable that the US and probably many other countries are financially doomed. It's going to get really ugly.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:24 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,712,322 times
POOF! It's gone.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,163 times
I'm Marsha Goodman, and I'm a Mortgage Loan Officer committed to
helping all of my clients fully explore their home loan options and
feel confident about their choices. In my 35 years of experience
working with third party affordable housing assistance programs,
conventional conforming and "jumbo loans", government loans, home
equity lines of credit and investment property loans and more, I've
been able to share my knowledge of the mortgage industry and
especially the Peartrees City market. My website offers resources and
calculators for your convenience, and I’m available to assist you at
any point along the way toward meeting your home loan goals.Email Us:
[email]excelentfastestloan@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 05-02-2013, 01:46 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,502,821 times
Wander if he thinks the same of GM gettingtaxpayer bailout and making huge investments in China and still woig money to taxpayers?Some how I think he has a anti-bank agenda he is pushing with spin. Playing to the maddening crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics