Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 01:27 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Today, one in five Americans is unemployed, underemployed or just plain out of work. One in nine families can't make the minimum payment on their credit cards. One in eight mortgages is in default or foreclosure. One in eight Americans is on food stamps. More than 120,000 families are filing for bankruptcy every month. The economic crisis has wiped more than $5 trillion from pensions and savings, has left family balance sheets upside down, and threatens to put ten million homeowners out on the street.
If the facts above and the article below doesn't leave the reader outraged, infuriated or just plain scared sh**less, maybe we've become so jaded to bad news that it just washes over our shoulders.

Elizabeth Warren: America Without a Middle Class
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 02:26 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,052,033 times
Well, it has been 2 years and none of the doom and gloom predictions have come true about riots in the streets or economic collapse leading to a mad max style world. There is only so long where you can close the blinds, watch the news, and stay poop yourself scared...you have to earn a living and buy some groceries at least. If you stay still and frightened at minimum you will be left behind in the world, it keeps rolling if you like it or not.

If you stay scared all you will do is give yourself heart disease and not really do anything, if it's that big there is nothing to do, so move on with your life and do something that makes you happy.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:04 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Get some "global perspective" people.

Other the weather in the cities of the most northern midwest states I can't imagine that anything would be worth the trade off in the UK, France, Spain or dozens of other European countries. I've been to those places and believe me, even at the peak of their booms times life for MOST of those people was probably to closer to things during our "Great Depression" than anything most Americans would want.

Manual labor in the country side means MANUAL labor -- brooms, hoes, shovels and rakes outnumber tractors about 100 to 1. People ride ancient single speed bicycles, noisy and impractical scooters or WALK FOR HOURS to get places that folks in the rural US drive to in minutes.
Life in their cities is not all that much better with TINY apartments that compare with low end hotels in this country, water that tastes like someone washed their socks in it BEFORE it got to your kitchen sink and so much general grime that you half want to stop for a midday shower. Yes there are some good things too, but for the most part the gulf between the fancy stuff that tourists do and the life of regular people in all but the most well off of European countries is stark. In China and India and South American it is orders of magnitude more divided.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:06 PM

144 posts, read 468,716 times
Come on, Man, be positive.

This is the best country on this planet!

Old 12-03-2009, 04:16 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,722,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Get some "global perspective" people.

Other the weather in the cities of the most northern midwest states I can't imagine that anything would be worth the trade off in the UK, France, Spain or dozens of other European countries. I've been to those places and believe me, even at the peak of their booms times life for MOST of those people was probably to closer to things during our "Great Depression" than anything most Americans would want.

Manual labor in the country side means MANUAL labor -- brooms, hoes, shovels and rakes outnumber tractors about 100 to 1. People ride ancient single speed bicycles, noisy and impractical scooters or WALK FOR HOURS to get places that folks in the rural US drive to in minutes.
Life in their cities is not all that much better with TINY apartments that compare with low end hotels in this country, water that tastes like someone washed their socks in it BEFORE it got to your kitchen sink and so much general grime that you half want to stop for a midday shower. Yes there are some good things too, but for the most part the gulf between the fancy stuff that tourists do and the life of regular people in all but the most well off of European countries is stark. In China and India and South American it is orders of magnitude more divided.

I'm calling BS on that whole post.

I'd elaborate but I have to go back to work, I'm off for lunch right now.

And BTW, I used a rake and a broom and a shovel at work today, and walked to get there and to get back home. Right here in the good ole US of A.

Look Ma, my legs can still carry me without needing an SUV to haul my fat backside around.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:28 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,672,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Well, it has been 2 years and none of the doom and gloom predictions have come true about riots in the streets or economic collapse leading to a mad max style world...

Aren't folks on their third or fourth unemployment extension? I wonder what happens when millions of peoples' UI runs out...

Or maybe it will be extended forever....and we'll just call it "fire insurance" instead of unemployment?

Old 12-03-2009, 09:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Aren't folks on their third or fourth unemployment extension? I wonder what happens when millions of peoples' UI runs out...

Or maybe it will be extended forever....and we'll just call it "fire insurance" instead of unemployment?
I don't recall unemployment being extended for this long for so many people.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:35 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,052,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post

Some folks are, not everyone on unemployment is on their fourth extension. It is a minority from the figures. Even with 10% unemployment...90% of the workforce is still employed.

In my own experience, and I only have an idea of knowing well what happens to people I know, pretty much everyone I know is employed and stayed employed. Those that did lose their job have found a new one, even though it was annoying, frustrating, and often changed their view about money and work.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:26 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,743,113 times
Yes there is hope, as long as the parasites sucking the life out of the economy can be eliminated. The dead weight at the top needs to be removed, and the rules applied evenly to all and then the economy will prosper as asset deflation spurs new economic growth.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:20 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,542,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Some folks are, not everyone on unemployment is on their fourth extension. It is a minority from the figures. Even with 10% unemployment...90% of the workforce is still employed.
If the real number were *only* 10%, that may be true. And if the real number were 5% if would be even more favorable. But I think by now, most folks have figured the real number is Well Over 10%?

Quote:
In my own experience, and I only have an idea of knowing well what happens to people I know, pretty much everyone I know is employed and stayed employed. Those that did lose their job have found a new one, even though it was annoying, frustrating, and often changed their view about money and work.
Generally at lower income numbers, and with the next recycle downward, lower income, yet. Hence the title of the article in the OP --

America Without a Middle Class

Did you read the numbers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics