Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 10:26 AM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times

Advertisements

When will solar really truly take off?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/bu....html?_r=3&hpw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 11:06 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
When the sun shines 24 hours a day.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:34 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
You don't need sunshine 24 hours a day... you just need a battery to store all the solar energy you collected...

When will solar take off? Depends... we need really deep pockets (like the government) to PUSH for alternative energy... I know Obama talks a lot but he hasn't really invested anything other than retrofitting which is no investment at all... So it is turning out that Obama is very flaky on the issue... instead of investing in green tech like solar energy, he is making you pay taxes on carbon emissions... this is your fix? Hahaha... only the looney believe in that...

But a serious look at what you ask... It appears that China is moving in the right direction (ironic isn't it?) and are developing CHEAP solar panel production through "printing" with HIGHER efficiencies (its 18%... WOW!)... consider that 5% effencies can power an entire home in the sunny California weather, guess what 18% will do for people with less sunshine... but that's only small talk... if Obama was really serious about it, we could get the efficiencies up to over 60% (and you will have free energy anywhere you live) and get costs to go down... but so far he has been extremely weak in pursuing green energy and extremely strong in pursuing to punish you with taxes... ironic...

'Silicon ink' for solar cells glides toward production | Green Tech - CNET News

Old 09-19-2009, 02:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
It's still kinda expensive for the normal Joe to install and then wait for the return on their investment.
On a large scale there's some hurdles to still overcome.
On a small scale I can see homeowners with panels to generate some energy for things like hot water, some electricity, etc. Totally going offgrid at this point, is quite the expensive deal.

It would also help if ALL energy companies did net metering with homeowners and the government gave some tax credits (ongoing yearly ones) to help offset the high costs.

But I do say that solar is becoming more attractive (those new thin film that integrate into metal roofs) and the prices are coming down.
I have a metal roof and would love to have this setup.

http://www.dovetailsolar.com/insdgrfx/innovate.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-19-2009, 10:25 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
My Dad has always had an interest in alternative energy sources and crunched the numbers for adding solar to his house. Basically it would take 35 years to start getting free energy once the costs had been paid. That probably exceeded his expected life span so obviously isn't going that route.

Solar still has a long way to go and it will always be a supplement never a major source of power.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
My Dad has always had an interest in alternative energy sources and crunched the numbers for adding solar to his house. Basically it would take 35 years to start getting free energy once the costs had been paid. That probably exceeded his expected life span so obviously isn't going that route.

Solar still has a long way to go and it will always be a supplement never a major source of power.
Wrong... I bet they said the same thing was said about cars, flat screens, computers, and basically everything else... With time, price goes down... they are already manufacturing CHEAPER solar tech and its getting better... eventually it will bring costs down (and the utility companies will follow suit) then it comes to whether you are just trying to be cheap about it even when all of the prices drop... With the proper incentives, it could become a major source of power... it all depends on how much we invest to make it better and cheaper...

Old 09-20-2009, 07:34 AM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
The issues with solar are similar to the issues with all other energy sources. Reliability and energy density. In many places, both are lacking. Batteries are not a good answer to the reliability issues. Solar works reasonably well at heating water, but just isn't up to the consumption of an average household. I've spent money on panels, inverter, and batteries, I've played around, I've crunched numbers, I even joined an industry society.

IMO, direct to electric has only limited abilities. Massive constructions that harvest the heat and utilize steam generators may be a better way to go.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:03 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,544,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post

Never is a very long time.

Some aspects of Solar (solar thermal generation -- which I now joking call Smoke and Mirrors -- with it you use mirrors to concentrate solar), has the numbers lined to beat Coal -- which is pretty much the price-to-beat in electricity production. If you are not familiar, here is a sample >>> Ausra.com

Bottom line is that over the next 20 to 40 years it is likely to replace much of the existing Coal generation. Did the Ausra power designs last year, and am now doing scaled down (100 to 3000 square feet) designs at a local technical college. The scaled down systems are intended to be useful for homes and small businesses.

But folks get confused between Solar Photovoltaic (PV) and Solar Thermal Electric Power Generation -- so these conversations get kind of rough to have on-line, like this.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The issues with solar are similar to the issues with all other energy sources. Reliability and energy density. In many places, both are lacking. Batteries are not a good answer to the reliability issues. Solar works reasonably well at heating water, but just isn't up to the consumption of an average household. I've spent money on panels, inverter, and batteries, I've played around, I've crunched numbers, I even joined an industry society.

IMO, direct to electric has only limited abilities. Massive constructions that harvest the heat and utilize steam generators may be a better way to go.
I agree to a point... battery technology is still improving, its slow but at least it shows very good promise especially with electric cars now pushing for better battery production... still a ways to go but heading in the right direction to go with solar energy... I do expect battery lives to eventually surpass human lives as technology matures with reasonable maintenance... Yes, for the most part, solar energy isn't that great for a number of households (particularly apartments/townhouses due to space limitations) but this is at a time where there is very low efficiencies in these solar panels, its not hard to imagine that it can be overcome with higher efficiency panels... again... with lots of time... I would never go solar direct electric, cause the sun don't shine at night... as for the steam generators via reflectors, I think its great but I think its size might be a bigger problem for personal household use... I like to see 99% efficient panels and given time, I think it is achievable and I think even you must admit that solar panels with that kind of efficiency can pretty much power any home provided they have a battery that also can store massive amounts of energy and last a very long time... its all technology and with continue improvements, it is only eventual...

Old 09-20-2009, 04:01 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
But a serious look at what you ask... It appears that China is moving in the right direction (ironic isn't it?) and are developing CHEAP solar panel production through "printing" with HIGHER efficiencies (its 18%... WOW!)...
It's easier to do this when the government says "do it" and no one can overrule them. But in the long run it will help them once all the installations are in. The main general use I see is the many outdoor traffic signs/lights that are solar, but mainly because it's probably easier to do than to wire remote devices to power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics