U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: will you be giving gift cards this holiday season?
gift cards 0 0%
cash 2 15.38%
presents 3 23.08%
combination 5 38.46%
nothing /none of the above 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 07:51 AM

12,869 posts, read 13,987,230 times

Advertisements

will you be giving out gift cards this year? i used to think that they were too impersonal but with this economy i am wondering if people would prefer a gift card or actual cash to receiving a present, or do people prefer the personal touch of someone actually going out and buying something?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 07:59 AM

3,646 posts, read 10,355,461 times
I think it depends on the person/situation.

My kid's teachers will be getting a plate of cookies and a gift card. My kids will get a combination. Our grandmothers will get gifts, as well as our parents.

My dh's little sister used to prefer gift cards. Then she realized that people might spend more if they bought her a gift... but she always wants a gift receipt too.

I give our little Brownies each a small gift card for their birthdays, but when invited to a party, we always give a gift (with a gift receipt in an envelope to the mom). For Christmas, they'll each get a small gift, but no receipt.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:05 AM

i always wondered if people mind being directed to a particular store so i have given cash, but cash doesn't seem like you put any thought into it. i always give service people cash because i have no idea where they like to shop, but i admire people who put extra effort into gift making. i give the mail carrier 10 dollars and a card, but my friend says that they aren't supposed to accept anything.

for kids, it is always presents because kids love to open stuff. i think sometimes they are more excited by the package opening than the gift. (my dog also loves opening presents so much that she will open everyone's gift if she is not stopped).

Old 12-12-2009, 12:43 PM

77 posts, read 270,951 times
I love gift cards. At least with that I can get what I want and don't have to worry about standing in line to exchange something. Wal Mart, Starbucks, or a gift card from a music store is usually always a good choice. Most people I talk to prefer gift cards over a present.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:45 PM

4,429 posts, read 6,077,158 times
Mmmmmmmm....I may give my siblings a gift card (perhaps a prepaid visa or something similar) so they can buy what every they want. I've done this in the past and the result have be good. Especially since there some really good sales after Xmas. Let me just mention none of my siblings or myself have children so that not an issue. I think if children where involved say under 12 or so. I don't know if I would give the kid a gift card. Granted the gift card would give the child a chance buy one or more think that they really want. So I guess that thought to me is still up in the air.

As for my parents.....well they already kind of told me they did not want gifts or anything....they just wanted a picture of me and my long term girlfriend together. Sounds strange but that what they told me what they wanted.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:31 AM

i noticed that a lot of restaurants are offering a bonus when you purchase a gift card, like 100 dollar gift card gives you an extra 20 dollars in gift certificates and even our local pizza restaurant is offering bonus dollars with a pizza gift card. i have often sent food gifts for people who are out of state and thought that somebody should have a service where they would deliver area food to someone's home (when they don't have delivery service) for the holidays since you know it would be fresh.

i wonder what percentage of gift cards isn't actually redeemed? i know i have lost a 100 dollar gift card in the past before i redeemed any of it, and i got a spa gift certificate that i never used.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:05 AM

620 posts, read 1,732,861 times
I think sometimes gift cards are nice, like for Starbucks, because possibly the person wouldn't have gone there if they had to pay themselves - it's a nice treat; that's what I've found anyway. My daughter just had a birthday so it's hard to think of anything for Christmas. I'll give her some gift cards, including one for gasoline.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:39 AM

4,711 posts, read 11,772,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
...i wonder what percentage of gift cards isn't actually redeemed?...

It's surprisingly high....I've read 8-10 percent. A Consumer Reports survey indicated that up to 50% of gift cards have at least some unredeemed value.

It's big bucks, Best Buy alone kept $40 million last year. Some states are passing laws that allow them to tax retailers' "income" from unredeemed gift cards.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:45 AM

23,639 posts, read 43,709,957 times
Giving cash, as holiday tips, $30 per person, to the mailman and all the men on the trash and recycling trucks. The gals who do our hair get a gift basket or a box of fine chocolates. That's it. No family or friends get cash or gift cards.

FWIW: In the checkout line at King Soopers (Kroger) last night, the woman ahead of me bought $250 in gift cards. Soopers is giving the buyers a 10% discount on the cards.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:04 AM

8,998 posts, read 13,929,960 times
I'm not giving anyone cash.
I will probably give out a gift card or two but mostly I'm giving out gifts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics