Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 09:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times

Advertisements

Banks are getting as green as they ever did with current rates (BIG SPREAD). You would think it must be a 'feeding frenzy' for them

BTW, all Banks are not lending. ESPECIALLY new loans. I couldn't get a loan on a commercial income property that was fully leased to long term tenants and had a 10 % Cap Rate; plus I was paying 50% down !!! I have a 780 credit score and plenty of reserve assets. My banks SAY they are still 'over lent' according to new ratio requirements. (These are banks I have used for 30 yrs). Hang on, something is fishy (Banks know we are not out of the woods yet).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 11:12 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,286,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
Instead they are playing the populist game of bashing the banks because that's the easier route.

So would lining those banker SOBs up on a gallows ten at a time be considered "populist?"

Just wonderin'

Old 12-21-2009, 12:54 AM

233 posts, read 743,779 times
this is a two sided coin. Would consumers/small biz be willing to borrow at higher rates? some would, my guess is that a lot more wouldn't. Banks aren't in this for kicks. why lend money when consumer spending is down tremendously and small businesses are folding left and right. Ok, So we give existing small businesses more cash. for what? to stockpile more inventory? Nobody is buying anything!!! banks are just sitting on a bunch of cash and i don't blame them, banks will find the way to make the most profit with the least amount of risk.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:50 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,531,548 times
No, they wouldn't. Read an economics book.

Interest rates, in a nut shell, mean a higher price and a lower supply of money to hand out. A leftward shift in supply curves means higher price and less quantity demanded. That is the simplest answer without taking into account other factors of banking decisions.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:26 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,112 times
Quote:
...So say what you will but GS is the undisputed king of investment banking and as such they will reap huge rewards for their efforts.
Is this why they are advising their employees to go get gun licenses?

GS couldn't exist these days without the Federal government backing everything they are doing.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:46 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
GS couldn't exist these days without the Federal government backing everything they are doing.
So what?

They paid off our government, fair and square.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:40 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
Couple of decent articles on the position of banks with regard to the scrutiny they get from regulators and how they are being dealt with:

Community Bankers Meet With Obama - WSJ.com

Obama urges community bankers to step up lending -- latimes.com

I personally strongly disagree that the "community bankers did not create this mess" as I know first hand that MANY small and midsized banks did in fact fully contribute to the disastrous lending policies that were advanced by morons like Sen Dodd and Rep Frank -- the crap loans that these idiots encouraged small lenders to make and then sell to Fannie & Freddie directly led to MBS implosion. Further the overall mindless "real estate is always a safe bet" fallacy that such behavior encouraged led to MANY of these small banks getting into way way too risky deals with developers of commercial projects that could not be resold on the secondary market and in fact directly caused the FDIC to step in and shut down the many banks that they have had to.

The notion that small bankers are always cut out of the do-gooder George Bailey mold is a load of BS -- many, perhaps most of these people are much more like the insider dealing, law bending yahoos that make life miserable for many. It is no surprise that the White House would want to curry favor with this people as their lobbying dollars can be easily directed at efforts to put more scrutiny toward the national mega banks OR to support the "fake populist" efforts that were mentioned above in the thread...

Old 12-23-2009, 09:02 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,661,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
So what?

They paid off our government, fair and square.
I don't know about the fair and square part, but as to paid off, bought off is more appropriate.

Too big to fail is a fundamental flaw in our economic construct, and it highlights the realities of capital resource monopoly systems, such as ours. Those who cheer them on are either part of the plantation head or uncle toms too optimism-biased to realize not everybody [i.e. you] can live in the penthouse, and cheering for your favorite NFL team will not make you nor get you paid like part of the team.

Too big to fail? Too big to exist.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:21 AM

975 posts, read 1,754,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Is this why they are advising their employees to go get gun licenses?

BS. Where I come from people who make stuff up are considered liars. Show me where GS is advising anyone to buy a gun. Your an idiot.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:14 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,310,679 times
Quote:
BS. Where I come from people who make stuff up are considered liars. Show me where GS is advising anyone to buy a gun. Your an idiot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqHxbdJu9v0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics